Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

I suppose it's possible but would you want to fight alongside people who have committed crimes against humanity against your brothers and sisters?Wagner imo are likely to dissolve now their fighters join other contractors as paid mercenaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Russian artillery losses are mindboggling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Even more so when, if reports are to be believed, Russia can't easily build new barrells for replacements; so one wonders how and where they're replacing these huge losses.

You'd like to think somewhere in the military brain trust they're reckoning the days of turtling with saturation artillery are over and to pivot their armed forces. But then bureaucracies don't easily bend.

I'm no solider but my understanding is Russian doctrine is based on overwhelming artillery dominance to saturate an area so their mechanized/armored forces move forward with infantry support. If their artillery is being shredded doesn't that pose a slight problem for their entire way of conducting war ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭rogber

That's how I see it too. The Wagner group have been implicated in numerous war crimes in Ukraine, not to mention the many criminal elements among them. Not sure I'd trust them fighting on my side, best thing for Ukraine might simply be if the group dissolves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Looks like it could be as much as six IL - 76 planes destroyed by the Ukrainian drones in Pskov airbase the other night. Great to see these airbases now being targeted.

Correction - It looks like 2 planes destroyed - bad translation from the initial 4 that were reported to be destroyed.

Post edited by Akabusi on

I see an unfortunate window accident in girkins future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder if there is anything else behind this? I guess we'll hear about it in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't think many expect Russia to go on the offensive for the remainder of their Ukrainian invasion. Their artillery will be less critical in this defensive phase, they'll still be able to make life difficult for the Ukrainians with minefields, defensive lines and willingness to take high casualties. They will undoubtedly get some equipment replenished from Iran, NK, friendly Stans or maybe China. But we won't see any more Bakhmuts from the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It was announced he was going to resign ages ago whenever the next cabinet reshuffle happened, for personal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

And does it still not have the ability to land missiles/ rockets/ etc at will now and again to any place in UKr - think , for example Liev. It just rained on Kiev with missiles a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

• Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think you described it very well when you said "...at will, now and again..." Yes, they can fire missiles whenever they want, but they don't have enough to use them regularly. They seem to only now use them in petulant retaliatory strikes against civilian population centres. Usually in response to Ukrainian strikes against airfields, Kerch bridge etc. They definitely don't have enough of them to achieve any military objective on the battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

150 to 200 per week. I'd say the American satellites have a lot to do with it.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 25,742 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Doubt it. Lots of Tory "rats leaving the sinking ship" over the last year thanks to the disastrous polling outlook for the party.

He also announced he is leaving politics when his term is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

And the new Defence Minister is ... Grant Shapps, he of the multiple identities and get rich quick pyramid schemes. Words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I think that's still a widely underappreciated aspect of this war. Ukraine is basically able to tap into all but the most sophisticated recon assets of the western world, whether directly, or by regular sanitized reports. Those long-endurance drone and manned ELINT & SIGINT assets that were a a staple during the early days of the war are still there as well, and you can bet that a lot of the stuff they pick up finds its way to AFU headquarters ASAP. This is a massive advantage for Ukraine, and they've been utilizing it to the fullest from what I can see.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah basically. Saturate the warzone with artillery, rinse, repeat. A deeply static doctrine that has revealed itself to the world as woefully out of date against a more mobile & cannier opponent. And one embracing the new technical frontier. Russia has effectively bared its backside to the world and there'll be a LOT of war games suddenly reassessed to factor in a Russia who can't properly prosecute a war in the 21st century, against a vaguely equal opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

I'm no supporter of Russia but people need to be realistic. it still has massive natural resources, a huge military industrial base, no election cycle, little pushback form most of the worlds countries and the support of China which wants access to those natural resources and arctic shipping routes. European governments have already changed their tone on Crimea and they know this will end with diplomacy. Comparing Russia now to Germany 1944 is not analogous. Unless Putin or the Chinese gov falls, there will certainly be negotiations before any NATO tanks or F16s enter Crimea. From some of the posts here you would think the the UA are releasing accurate figures on RA casualties. If so they would be the first army in the history of mankind to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Which governments have changed their tone on Crimea?

And when you state NATO tanks or F16's entering Crimea.... what's that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I seen a video a while back showing a train in Russia transporting artillery towards Ukraine. They were older systems that need twice the crew to fire half the shots in double the time and had a reduced range.

I haven't seen any videos lately showing the type of weapons being transported but considering the claimed losses I'd love to. Long may the trend continue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't think so, just he didn't get the NATO position he was expected to be given, so standing down from government instead.

Anywho back in the real world it is a serious cause for optimisation that Ukraine can now strike so far inside Russian territory with extreme accuracy on such a regular basis. Taking the battle to Russia's front door is the only way i can see discontent growing against the Moscow dwarf and a possible overthrow.

The use of drones also means it gives Ukraine something important with these attacks: precision. I said it ages ago that I reckoned were Ukraine to directly attack russian soil it'd erode the moral support - but I had spoken from the PoV of conventional attacks with their army, not drones. Bombings or artillery strikes imperfect and "hammers" that would only kill civilians en masse.

These cardboard drones allow the fight to be brought to Russian logistics, without causing the overspill or casualties seen with "dumb" weapons and that's a huge factor IMO. Aircraft and logistics burn while (AFAIK) apartments and civilian infrastructure stays intact. Of course it helps that Ukraine doesn't actually want to terrorise or kill ordinary Russian citizens, which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,451 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As well as that they are not just symbolic... they are taking out Russian assets that will be difficult to replace, and forcing Russia to redeploy more assets to deep defence.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Tbh i take all stats during a war from both sides with a massive pinch of salt. Russia will provide false figures, Ukraine will do likewise but what is without any doubt whatsoever is that this war is taking a terrible toll on both nations and unfortunately many many innocents are dead, injured or displaced.

What worries me greatly is how the war itself has become a side issue and non talking point for many compared to the early weeks and months of the conflict. It's understandable in a way as people just get on with their lives but some times i need to pinch myself to be reminded there is a full scale war ongoing in Europe in 2023 that has no end in sight.

Of course it's a win win, it's just i think Russian citizens seeing the death and destruction in front of their very eyes might just wake them from a slumber and have more of an effect than the actual destruction of military assets. Unfortunately sanctions haven't produced the effect one would have wanted at the speed one would have wanted so this is a good thing. Let's hope the west can up their game in regards supporting this route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In the vein of being realistic, a reminder that Russia has the GDP of Italy, a rapidly sliding national currency, and significant cracks showing pretty much everywhere. It's a very expensive war of choice for them, not to mention while being sanctioned to the hilt, hundreds of billions of their assets under lock and key, and their untrained 40 yr old frontline troops with 50 yr old equipment are now in a battle of survival rather than invasion, with a sea of mines doing most of the heavy lifting. With explosions now happening in Moscow, the "special faraway operation" is coming home to roost, the optics of which probably aren't going to sit well with most Russians no matter how indoctrinated they are.

They are on more of a timer than they were in the past.

I haven't see any chance of stance on Crimea from Europe?

Everyone ultimately expects the war to end or stalemate or freeze in some sort of talks, that's a given, the Arabs and others were speculating as soon as this winter, but ultimately it's up to the Ukrainians, and they are still gradually taking portions of their land back, whilst we see Russian mil bloggers losing it that Russian troop morale is dropping like a stone.

We know from leaks within Russia (e.g. payments after combat deaths) that significant numbers of Russian troops have died and been injured. Ukrainian figures for Russian dead are very optimistic, let's put it that way, but they aren't completely ridiculous. In 10 years in Vietnam, the US lost around 50k men, from estimates, Russia is at about 2 and a half times those figures in just a year and a half.

Of course to mention things are extremely difficult and challenging for the Ukrainians and indeed they have lost significant numbers of troops, but their existential battle for their national survival is a little different from Moscow's "poor people being paid to die in a hole" war.

I don't expect Putin to fall or be replaced, but it looks like they are going to have to make or be forced to make uncomfortable choices they certainly didn't envision in 2022 with their "3 day" operation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement