Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Fridge Freezer vs separate units

• 26-08-2023 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Samsung fridge is on the blink (Freezer not working, Fridge ok) have a lad out to look at it but planning for worst case scenario.

Samsung was decent lasting 12 years so far, plumbed with ice which meant there was feic all space in the freezer.

Was looking around today at different machines in curry's, all plumbed versions seem to be the same.

Saw a Haier which had a nice layout Fridge in top double doors, freezer in bottom with drawers, but they seem new to the market so not sure if I'd trust them over Samsung LG.

Saw some sign mentioning buying separate units and just joining them.

Any thoughts? Wonder does it use much more energy? Is it a good idea to have them separate anyway?

Couldn't see a tall Fridge with water dispenser in Curry's, not sure are they available.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'd be surprised if the freezer section can't be repaired, I have a similar Samsung for over 15 years now and they are like the Toyota Hiace of fridge freezers, they just keep going with minimal repairs/replacements needed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

I could be jumping the gun all right, repair lad out tomorrow so hopefully there'll be something fixable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭10-10-20

With an American side-by-side you have a single compressor and the area between the freezer and fridge is combined within the structure of the unit, so the overall insulative properties of unit should be better. I'd guess that there are much less thermal losses with this arrangement for sure, but you also benefit by not having two compressors running with electronics.

Plus, some fridge-freezers use their side-panels as radiators, and if two are installed tightly together this may become a problem. Check for guidance in the manual!

was thinking similar, I don't think it would be twice as much energy but there would definitely be more used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, no way would it be double, but around 30% or there abouts, I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Shoog

Bosch do some great A rated fridge freezers. Do you really need a massive American style monstrocity, they are designed for very different shopping styles than Europeans.

Basically there is no way of getting great performance other than increasing the insulation. Our newish Bosch has walls and doors which are twice as thick as our old fridge freezer

Find the freezer in the american small enough as it is, doubt we could go back to a smaller one again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What's not to like about a modern looking, very reliable kitchen appliance that dispenses cold filtered water, ice cubes and crushed ice on tap as well as storing your perishable food items at the temperature you choose at the touch of a button?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Shoog

A small chest freezer is a good compromise. They are intrinsically better efficiency wise than an upright. We find our Bosch freezer to be small enough but if we need more space then a small chest freezer would be our goto.

• Advertisement

Ya read up about the great efficiency of a chest freezer, my problem with them is they are awkward to put somewhere, top opening and all that. Will have another think though.

Advertisement