Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry agri gouging

Options
  • 22-07-2023 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭

I used buy 90% of my agri inputs from Kerry Agri ,for small items .I like the idea if you walked around the shop every item price was displayed and in the main prices were competitive .

This year I reckon I have bought 5% agri purchases from Kerry agri there prices for fertiliser and meal are expensive ..For example I priced pasture sward this week at E550 ,exact same product from independent was E490 .the price of 15% coarse high energy bulk E430 ,same spec from nearest mill was E385 .It is hard to fathom why farmers buy their inputs from Kerry Agri but obviously they must be selling at these high prices .I hear they are trying to sell their agribusiness also ,I woonder will the buyer be left even see the books!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭50HX

They are off the wall with fertiliser prices this year,

Tbh any of the 4 stores I've called into over the past year the lads working in them seem to have zero interest working there.

It's being rumoured they are selling the agribusiness. The land value prices of these stores would be v high, they are mostly in prime development locations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

Obviously I know little about Kerry Co Op but all these types of businesses have guys n girls with little interest in their jobs. I don't mean to sound old but back in the day those jobs were sought after nowadays not so.

The Kerry group had a great rep for driving efficiencies in the past it's a pity to see it like you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It looks like some Kerry agri milk suppliers are exploring possability of setting up a milk producer group,does anyone have any idea of how this will work.

Kerry co op have really left milk suppliers down too but are great looking after their own pocket!!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Meeting of ardkreem region in ballyroe in 2 weeks time... should be known at that.

My local Kerry store must be next on the chopping board for closure’s. Always quite and poorly stocked. Their 10 tens better then dairygold, those robbing b’s charge you to the last cent even if your bill is the thousands. Kerry will round it down, in my experience. Anyone that’s expecting to be paid in cent’s is a big c#%^ in my book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

That's what happens when most of the farmers are millionaire's

I have noticed that too (even here in the South East) lots of young lads and lassies working in those places now who are either instructed to take every cent or they just don't care about regular customers. I try to avoid dealing with them if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First rule of thumb is negotiate you discount before buying. Ya Dairygold will not discount anything. But discounting on bills is not really happening longer. Even with the miller's I pay and it's always on time, they will not discount on the bills. Fertilizer the same new computerised systems often do not allow discounts off bills.....or else like many do they charge well above the rate so they can give you a few bob off.

I have been into builders providers lately a d of you think the Agri stores are bad you will get robbed in these places if only buying a couple of hundred worth of product and they have 50%+ margins on some products. Plumbing suppliers the same. Wholesale electrical providers are not as bad but 1-2 going that way of screwing the lad that walk in off the street looking for a few items.

We have to start being miserable bast@rds again

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Jack98

When dealing with merchants for feed, fertilizer, minerals, lime, straws etc it’s usually reps that call to the yard you’re dealing with for payment, so if you want anything off get out the cheque book if you want any chance of negotiating a few euro off.

Yes I am of the belief of same. This year I ran a bill in the merchant,(not very long but just time poor). Rang the rep and paid over the phone I got a better deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement