Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I don't think that Ukraine are looking to deliberately stir up discontent among the Russian populace, although they clearly don't mind if that's a byproduct of their strikes. From what I can see, these strikes have two broad aims:

• Force Russia to redeploy its limited air defense and anti-drone assets across a wider area, thereby reducing the "density" of SAM/AAA and anti-drone cover over crucial bits of their supply & military infrastructure.
    • Force the redeployment of key logistics & military assets farther away from the Ukraine operational area, thus further weakening the already shaky supply lines.

Earlier in the war, Ukraine already managed to force Russia to redeploy a lot of its Tu-95 long-range bomber force away from their regular bases to operating sites up on the Kola peninsula or close to the Ural mountains. The recent drone strike on Soltsy air base that saw the destruction of yet another Tu-22M3 bomber will probably not have helped matters either. While this in itself doesn't eliminate the threat posed by these bombers, it does drastically increase the difficulty Russia faces when conducting bomber or ALCM strikes against Ukraine, especially since Russia has also moved the launch areas for ALCMs as far back as the Caspian in order to not endanger their limited number of strategic bombers.

Now, you could obviously point at the drone strikes against high-rise buildings in and around Moscow as a counterpoint, since those are very definitely civilian buildings. However, from what I've seen in the public domain, which admittedly isn't much, it appears as if those drones suffered guidance failures, possibly because of GPS jamming, which caused those drones to stray from their initial targets, which were likely military targets in the Moscow region, of which there are many. What's more, the most recent series of strikes would seem to indicate that Ukraine has found a way to mitigate these jamming efforts, since a lot of those seem to have found their mark.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭rogber

Absolutely, hitting inside Russia hard and often is important.

Having said that, another BBC article today points a depressing picture of the mood inside Russia, the predictable mix of apathy, indifference, fear and even "I was against the war, but now that it's happened I don't want Russia to lose either" idiocy. A mood of mass uprising still seems a long way off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What's mindboggling about it?

Ukraine have more modern artillery than Russia. It's more accurate, can shoot further and they have the benefit of access to US satellite intel (as well as their own surveillance drones) to identify the location of Russian artillery pieces. It'd be mindboggling if they weren't taking out high numbers of Russian artillery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

What's more, a lot of the NATO standard equipment used by Ukraine was designed for this kind of work: Highly efficient, precise strikes against a numerically superior enemy. You just need to look at the type of combat environment these systems were originally planned to be used in, namely a conventional land battle on the North German plain, along the open river valleys in Bavaria or in the Fulda Gap. NATO forces would be facing a numerically superior force coming at them, while air superiority couldn't necessarily be guaranteed. Therefore, it was important for western artillery forces to pinpoint hostile artillery or other assets quickly, get a precise strike off as soon as possible, and then vacate the area immediately to avoid counterbattery fire or other surprises coming their way. This is exactly the combat environment we're seeing in Ukraine, and a combatant equipped with weapons designed for that environment, with proper tactical awareness and access to a wealth of reconnaissance and intelligence data will be able to exploit this advantage. Ukraine is doing just that.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Maybe, maybe not. Hitting Moscow on a regular basis is key for me as to bringing it to the front door and waking the masses. Yeah it's a dodgy road and could easily backfire but i think when push comes to shove Moscow citizens would rather see Putin gone than be dragged into the conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭briany

Regarding the second paragraph - this happens with every single war if it runs for long enough. Let's use an analogy:-

If a man loses an arm in accident, for the days, weeks and months afterward, the lost arm is forefront in his mind. It may consume pretty much all of his waking thoughts as he has to deal with the grief of losing it, with relearning how to do a lot of tasks he used to take for granted and any treatment the wound requires. But as months turn into years, he comes to accept it somewhat. He learns to live with it as best he can. At some point, he must focus on other aspects of his life. It's not that he no longer deals with the lost arm, but more of it becomes automatic and routine. This doesn't mean, however, that he wouldn't happily accept a new arm, if that became a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

The modern Russian Federation is now sanctioned away from legal access to Western markets, and replacement parts. They have few avenues left to sell anything from those natural reasorces you mention, and extraction operations have to rely upon (in many cases) Soviet-era engineering that are in constant need to maintainence with parts they have often lost the capacity to machine themselves (or ironically used Ukraine for).

Their military base has been shown to be rotten to the core and is now primarily manned by untrained civilians that they have pressed into service with poorly maintained Soviet surplus materielle. Their airbases are now even being threatened by drones made of cardboard. Cardboard!

They are primarily cut off from most of their traditionally lucrative markets. Europe is progressivly weaning itself off of Russian gas while the NordStream pipes may well be destined to the scrapheap. China might want access to the Arctic shipping route, but they couldn't care less if a weakened Russia was bordering it. If anything, they'd probably prefer that.

Western nations have been stedfast in their support of Ukraine in reclaiming all of it's land from Russia (including Crimea) so I'm not sure *where* this "European goverments changing their tone on Crimea" notion is coming from. (Although I can take a guess).

So, Alan, I'm curious. What kind "negotiations" do you feel should happen when a nation engages in a war of annihilation with it's neighbour and then starts to lose?

• Should it be the terms of their total withdrawal from illegally occupied territories so that they won't lose what's left of their army?
    • Should it be scale of compensation due to Kiev for what the Russians have tried to do?
    • Or are you advocating for....*something else*?

Russia's population skews heavily towards their major cities, and Putin seems very hesitant to let the invasion affect those cities as it would undermine the lie that it's all going great. They were also reportedly having population issues before the invasion even started, and there has since been a mass exodus of people of mobilisation age trying to avoid being called up, to the point where they've had to change the law to increase the maximum age and to bar anyone in that age group from leaving the country.

They need to keep their own country running too, while trying to scale up their wartime production as they're burning through ammo and equipment right now.

They might be able to do another big mobilisation, and I'm sure they'll continue to quietly mobilise quite a few each month, but I don't think they really can afford to call up people on the scale that some fear without it being the beginning of the end for Putin.

It's telling that each time they move troops around they have to make concessions elsewhere on the line, their numbers aren't limitless and the constant degradation of their equipment and forces these past few months is starting to create real dilemmas. Ukraine's growing ability to hit locations like Crimea, Russia and the black sea fleet with impunity and the slow uptick of progress on the frontline is testament to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

Definitely seen some posts that were very pro putin that were deleted. Not sure if the term bot or putinbot is strictly defined but have seen some posters that seem happy to spread moskovyte propaganda and so they may have been flagged as spam and removed.

Post edited by macraignil on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

also what user says and what user supports can get one or the other label. Usually pro-russian posters somehow manage to include pro-russian lines in almost every post they make and as typical would never thank any pro-Ukraine post. Instead their own posts are thanked by other pro-russian posters.

Weird. Anyway i digress as i guess we all see different things in different posts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll be honest and hopefully not the only one, I can't keep track of who's supposed to be a Putinbot, spam bot, normal bot, or... I dunno, Botticelli. There's a small whiff of ... I don't wanna call it paranoia cos I DO think the thread has had malcontents, but something too eager to suppose shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

"Bot" would probably be the wrong word : they are undoubtedly real people.

From my own observations, "bots" tend not to be seen on discussion forums on engage in genuine debate. They are far more dedicated to spreading propaganda and misinformation on social media sites like Twitter....the aim is to misinform (on behalf of whoever or whatever they are working for).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Indeed that tracks, but where and how does one tell the difference between a concerted attempt at misinformation - and a contrarian bollix just taking the opposite view out of intellectual devilment?

Cos while not many, I've definitely heard people in real life take the misinformation angle, albeit with that "taxi driver rant" unearned confidence of someone thinking they're being very clever not believing ... *ominous thunder* the mainstream media.

Trying to keep track of who you think is what isn't really the right way to go about it, imo. Far easier to just refute a bad argument if you see one, no matter the identity and motivation of the person behind it.

What's great about discussion forums as opposed to more modern forms of social media is that the pace of them is slow enough that you can pick through arguments in a deliberate manner. You couldn't do that on Twitter as you would be quickly inundated.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 anonymouscactus

Been lurking for months on this thread. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, escapes the Spanish Inquisition here. It's quaint.. the hubris of being a keyboard warrior spilling over into the deluded belief that it would matter a jot if every single post on this thread was pro-Russia or not. I understand that it is war and that brings the best and worst out in people, but this thread is fascinating to observe... 'popular' (i.e. entertaining lunatic) posters losing the run of themselves with hubris and one by one over the months they end up banned, a victim of their theatrical playing to the gallery. Boards.ie's own fallen heroes.

All that said, a lot of the mistrust and doubt comes because there are broadly two types of people in this world - those that believe in an eye for an eye and those that don't. Each group appears dangerous, stupid, and insane to the other... but we're all on the same 'team', for what's worth (and it's worth fupp all).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,742 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Putinbot I think is being used as an insult not anyone genuinely believing it is a generated account or someone in the pay of Putin.

It is just people who hang out on loopdy-doo parts of the internet who then regurgitate it ad nauseum in the mistaken belief that we are all as gullible as them.

Covid forum was full of them too. Posting links from shady "doctors" that popped up on their warped YouTube accounts thanks to algorithms.

A "Bot" is just a lot shorter word than "pro-russian mocovyte shyte posting user" hence every pro-russian is labeled as "bot". A number of posters here gave a good enough explanation on who gets usually marked as "bot". Now, lets move on.

If we accept your argument, trolls/bots or whatever you want to call them wouldn't bother using the Internet at all. After all, like you say, what does it matter about online discussion? It's not real world action.

Except that people do read particular arguments and points of information or misinformation, and it does inform how they view the world which then translates into real world political views/pressure and nonsense talking points promoted often enough get taken as fact when they are anything but.

You're not the first one to come along and sneer about a load of keyboard warriors thinking they're affecting something. It's sort of on the totem pole of shíte to say, at this stage. This thread does, however, remain a good talking shop to share information about the situation as well as unpick bad faith or simply misinformed arguments that have the effect of eroding support for Ukraine bit by bit if just taken as read.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's actually very difficult to tell the difference between the two - are you having a conversation with a cranky oul git or with a bot which has been placed there to spread misinformation. One big giveaway on social media though is post count - you'll see some yoke you're having a conversation with and he has 35,000 posts since November 2022 or whatever, sometimes even 50,000 (no way would even a crank have that much time on his hands).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭dzer2

Some shite on the thread today

Most of the points have been well refuted at this stage. I've not heard an original contrarian POV in quite a while.

Easier to ignore at this stage. Unless it's someone new with what appears to be a genuine interpretation in their opinion. There's a pessimistic slant that can be applied to all the points alright which may fit in with your personality or perhaps someone is simply just being contrarian. I don't mind either way. It's good to have contrarian voices but I prefer when the points are original at this stage. The thread is so long that a lot of stuff keeps getting regurgitated.

• Russian superiority in numbers of equipment and weapons - Comparing pre war levels to current levels and project future levels there's an obvious trend here.
    • Russia has endless meat for the grinder - Can prove useful but in and of itself it does not present an significantly superior force without proper training, equipment, morale. I'd take 1 Ukrainian fighting for his his countries existence over at least 2 Russian mobiks any day.
    • Ukraine running out of support from the West - Public interest was always going to wane but I've not heard any governments turn heel or suggest they will on previous commitments of support to Ukraine. Some promises/pledges have proven to be impulsive and not materialised to the same degree (Politicians will politic) but that does not equate to a withdrawing of support for Ukraine.
    • The BOMB - Why would they use it? What would be the tactical gain? The continuing failed invasion is driven by Putin's spite and while he's been found dumb enough to believe his own propaganda and the lies peddled back by his yes-men he's still no idiot.
    • Russian defence is too strong - They've proven better in defence than attack alright but do the soldiers truely believe they're defending for their countries future? Ukraine have had to change tactics and it's been a slog but they are the ones making the slow gains.
    • Soldier deaths hurt Ukraine more - This is true and accounts for the the previous point. I trust that Ukraine know the knock on morale effects of simply trying to overwhelm defences with men. I'm happy to let them conduct the offensive as they see fit and call a halt if needs be. But I'll be cheering them every step of the way. This is the first major war of the 21st century and a lot of the old doctrines are being tested so I don't take what any far removed expert says or speculates as gospel. It was obvious the counter offensive didn't go as planned from the start (when a rapid recapture of territory was seen to be too costly for both men and equipment) so the plan has changed.
    • No one is winning this war - Ukraine continues to exist as an independent nation is what winning looks like to me at the moment. Getting land and people back is an obviously an additional goal that may end up at the negotiating table eventually. Nobody knows, but the momentum is still with them and it is their decision when to stop pushing back. But there will be no 100% winner at the end. Ukraine has already lost so much. But they need to continue doing what they are doing and kick Russia in the crotch so hard that their great grandchildren will still feel it.

And

• The litany of BS reasons for the invasion in the first place. People that want to believe these have already made their decision which side they're rooting for.

People who log in to see 100 new posts thinking something major has happened will be disappointed. 😂

Although, we could be on the cusp of something major, if Ukriane manage to get to the highest points East of Noroprokopivka. Another not mentioned advantage of topping Hill 166 relates to the KA-52 helicopters which have proven very effective against advancing Ukrainian columns. Them not being able to pop up on the brow of a hill should hopefully reduce their efficacy between there and Tokmak.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

They're hitting twice as much as they were a couple of months ago. Their strikes on artillery suddenly increased recently.

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement