Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,607 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

But but it's the town square where free speech is free.

Will he fund an appeal to the death penalty?

He did promise to pay all legal expenses for users that got in trouble for their Tweets.

Or will be back track on that one too since it is his major funders doing the murdering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

We don't really have free speech here in the free world, and we're actually preparing laws to make things worse, so who are we to judge the saudis?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,934 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Epic fail at whataboutery there.

Think your moral compass needs a reset if you think the situations are somehow comparable.

Come back to us when Ireland starts executing people, or those laws deal with them as capital crimes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"But but cancel culture, people who said mean things online had mean things said back to them".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As always, and yes I'm a broken record, but every time someone whines about not having free speech, it's a whinge about not being able to be a díckhead without consequence.

• Advertisement

So it's ok to kill someone.

This is the moral position Musk's defenders choose to stand and fight on.

"When"? You mean "if", right? RIGHT?

Surely we won't sink so low as those savages over there, but we are going down a wrong path.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yes we do what you and the other elon stans are always whinging about wanting is freedom from the consequences of your speech

I actually clarified my position in a deleted post, it's not freedom of consequences that's what we want, but only that consequences should match the deed, as in you don't punish words and opinions with prison, criminal records and destroyed livelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well, seeing as we don't bring journalists into our embassies and chop them up into small pieces, I think we're on safe ground judging the Musk-investing Saudis.

• Advertisement

LOL at the last one, how do you manage stopping someones livlihood being destroyed if their customers decide they dont want to do business with them anymore due them making public statements that are disagreeable to a majority of their customers? Should their customers be legally forecd to continue doing business with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Back to the slippery slope nonsense. In Robson to prosecution for words or opinions, I absolutely am in favour of that if it's inciting violence or hate. And you might be absolutely horrified and outraged by that but there's few countries in the globe with absolute free speech. This doesn't mean our judicial system is remotely comparable to a theocracy.

Anyway, as the guy fawning over Musk, do you expect he'll leap to the defence of the man who has been sentenced to death or will he just carry on fawning over the likes of Andy Ngo etc? Or are you just gonna divert as per usual?

Andy Ngo - wasn't he a victim of actual violence as a consequence of his opinions?

WWMD - I don't know, I'm not his keeper. I don't expect to do much, not like there's much to do, about the saudis murdering another person for words and opinions.

I absolutely am in favour of that if it's inciting violence or hate.

Violence? Sure, I'm in favor to. Hate? The term is too loosely defined and too abused.

LOL he got booed at a Valorant tournmant with the crowd also starting a "bring back twitter" chant, this really would be the kind of crowd you would expect to be on his side but no he's managed to loose even them.

https://kotaku.com/elon-musk-valorant-champions-2023-vct-final-prx-eg-boo-1850780528

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Every time I see an embedded tweet in a news article etc. I keep thinking I should click on the X in the top right to close it and then I remember that it's not a close button it's the stupid, dumb logo for the application..

It really was a crushingly stupid decision to re-name it "X".

But it annoyed lots of people. That seems to be the metric now.

Doesn't matter if it was marketing stupidity, will limit their trademark ability in future or will hurt the bottom line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I said it already but mass adoption just won't happen by dint of the tens of thousands of small businesses and users who can't or won't switch their logos. Even as I check the headlines The Guardian hasn't updated their "Twitter" link.

So how's it going at least with the much maligned Cybertruck? Maybe they've turned a corner with production and the woes befalling it?

Nope. Still not good: seems the demand for precision is proving to be a near insurmountable problem for the factory. 50 years on from the DeLorean, and perhaps Musk is about to overtake that cars infamous history for noted bellyflops? I don't think Musk will have the benefit of a blockbuster movie adding a little mystique to his truck though.

But a better Cybertruck would only be possible through a complete redesign, according to Fast Company, which cites car designer and the Autopian contributor Adrian Clarke. The issues come down to the impossibly flat body panels of the Cybertruck. Given the design of the EV, small imperfections inherent in the production process are all the more clear, as Clarke tells Fast Company:

Professor X believes that Tesla can attain such precision, but Clarke questioned the demand in an email he sent me today. “Is totally infeasible for production. Body panel tolerances are measured in whole mm to allow for variance in assembly and the tolerance stack!” This is also nonsense because, as he points out, it doesn’t take into account the thermal expansion and contraction of vehicles that come into play during the manufacturing and operation of the vehicle.

Looking at this image and ye god's the finish on the thing is horrendous; can't believe a whole company just went along with a Stainless Steel pickup truck, and speaks to the hold Musk has in these scenarios.

In the email he demanded all parts be manufactured to a sub 10 micron accuracy which is impossible in car manufacturing for a multitude of reasons but most importantly for areas like california and other warm american states due to the inevitable thermal expansion of metal. He argued that "soda cans and lego can do it therefore so can we"......

Can this "truck" hold much cargo? I can see a couple of ladders and a flatpack and any real amount of tools in the back of that yoke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It is a vehicle exclusively built for the US "Douche" market.

It's not an off-roader , it's not a utilitarian "working" vehicle , it's a pickup for Accountants and Marketing managers trying to look "cool".

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This is the guy who stated with a stright face that he knew more about manufacturing than anyone alive.

But is it? By all accounts the narrative and marketing appeared to suggest that yes, this is indeed aimed at the commercial EV market; especially given that market is doing very well ATM via things like the electric Ford F150. You're not wrong like: there will be urban Musk worshipping idiots who'll buy this stainless steel monstrosity no more than the DeLorean had buyers; but I don't think this was Tesla / Musk's genuine target.

I'm just surprised it's still clinging on after all this time, after what must be mounting evidence this will be a collossal failure. Instead of pivoting towards a small, "affordable" EV car, Tesla is putting its R&D and manufacturing into what may yet prove to be an All Time Failure in the automotive industry.

It's really really hard to see the average American Contractor moving from a traditional pickup to something as radically different as the Cyber Truck.

And I say "American" because with very few exceptions nobody else drives pick-ups.

The Ford EV Truck works because it looks like every other truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It looks like Melon watched the Uncie Herb episode of The Simpsons while stoned.

Oh I agree and hence why this has disaster written all over it. The design is fundamentally antithetical to the market, the construction completely inappropriate both for factory construction and the environment proposed, and in taking an age Tesla has ceded the EV pickup market to Ford et al. They've had their lunch stolen yet Musk, according to this report, is demanding an apparently physically impossible degree of build.

I'm not sure it'll sink the company but there's a point where this quixotic money pit starts to stop looking like an amusing eccentricity, and a commercially dangerous obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Wasn't he meant to have his rocket ready to go again soon? At some point he'll run out of promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

So.

Not only is the Cybertruck

-astoundingly ugly

-impractical for those that work with their hands

-made of a material no-one else uses for a variety of good reasons

-unlikely to ever see the road in Europe as it's never passing any safety tests here

It would also seem that the finish on it is akin to something built in 1970's Britain, when they were on near-permanant strike.

Honestly, this deserves to be the thing that sinks him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,625 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If a TY student submitted that cybertruck design in DCG they'd fail the class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nachouser

Once you sit into the thing, you'd need someone on the outside with a roll of duct tape to seal the gaps.

Advertisement