Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We’ve been hearing that about Sexton for years now. I hope it isn’t the case for the RWC because neither Byrne nor Crowley are leading us to anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Going back to this, I have Byrne for 4 missed tackles, 3 completed (one of those missed tackles might be a bit harsh, made shoulder contact, bounced off, and then the carrier was brought down by a second tackler a second later).

Did this quickly while on a lunch break so if anyone wants to do the Crowley equivalent value for the content, then work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

That's all you ever get from Akrasia. The guy is incapable of any objectivity. It's just Munster good, Leinster bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There's an obvious solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Also, I think Akrasia, and the rest of the disciples of Three Red Kings, need reminding that the H Cup final and URC final weren't the only two games of rugby that happened last season.

• Advertisement

Let's be honest. The starting Irish team is pretty much the Leinster team. The desperation of some posters and tweeters to make Crowley the saviour or linchpin of the team is just to soothe some hurt feelings.

It's an improvement over that chap in the Munster thread who was going to shout for South Africa for starting Munster players, but it is still tiresome as hell to read. Usually it takes a loss for the fan base to go to war - hopefully everyone is just getting it out of their system.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

MOD: folks, attack the post not the poster is the most basic of rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

He may have started those games in Nz and the 6 nations but he has been injured ever since.

You also left out last November's Internationals. Where he only started one game and was injured for the other 2 and maybe forgot that he didn't manage to start any champions cup games for Leinster last season due to injury.

I just think Ireland are going to a second world cup in a row with an "undropable" captain who is past his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Are world rugby spending anything on advertising?

Not sure I’ve seen or heard a single ad or promotion for the RWC on tv or radio at all

It’s next week and there’s hardly any buzz built up about it, you’d see much more for the 6N

Have you tried turning adblock off and on again?

• Advertisement

He is past his best, but he is still, when fit to play, significantly better than both our other options and most other flyhalves in the world. As demonstrated during the 6N and by the fact he was nominated for WPOTY.

If his leg falls off he won't play, otherwise of course he will because he is still one of the best 10s in the world.

And yes, he missed a number of games because a 20 stone prop fell on his groin. Not sure that means anything in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I'm the same. Its almost a case of: If he stands he starts.

Most of us were skeptical that he could last to his WC. It was the gamble and we are about to find out if it wins big.

He has to start v Romania and SA and every KO game.

Farrells next gamble is Sexton, Byrne or Crowley v Tonga. I feel he has to back Crowley and hopefully he will prove his worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Yeah, dropping your team captain mid-tournament will definitely fit into the way Faz has run things while in charge.

Barring injury, there's no way Crowley will start ahead of Sexton. Any thinking otherwise is absurd wish-casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

At least we have a Sexton in the squad.

England missing Farrell (temporarily) so initially Ford or Smith

France missing Ntamack so Jalibert & Hastoy

South Africa missing Pollard (although I feel he's only a rub of the ol' magic sponge away) so Libbok & Willemse

Scotland without Weir or Hastings so Russell & Healy

Argentina with Carreras & Sanchez

New Zealand probably best placed with BB, DMcK & Richie

Sexton obviously might get injured, but he has played in 4, 4, 5, 5 of the last 6N. He has missed 2 games in 20 and one of those was against Italy were he might have been risked if it was a more important game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

It was noticeable how SA brought a lot of pace to the game against the ABs, a marked difference to how they were playing last year when slowing the game down, taking a knee etc seemed to be their preferred strategy. On Friday it was go go go, short rucks, FaF box kicks and a fluid combination of muscular carries and speed from the backs. The ABs couldn't take a breath which resulted in lots of mistakes and cards for them. It's not unlike how Ireland play and that matchup could be a wild gunfight as a result. Can Ireland slow that SA offense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

A half fit Johnny is still one of the best if not the best fly half in the world at the mo and come the end of this WC, his chapter in Irish Rugby will close. No matter what happens over the next 8 weeks he’ll hang up his boots as Irelands greatest ever player and be talked about as one of the all time great 10’s, up there in the same conversation as Johnny Wilkinson, Dan Carter, Andy Goode etc… so let’s sit back and enjoy it because we may never see the likes of him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

• Advertisement

Contrasting end to the season is an interesting way to look at Crowley starting at 10 when Munster were embarrassed out of their priority competition against a poor Sharks side while Byrne led Leinster to the final of that competition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

they are the two most important games though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Have you ever seen FIFA run any advertisements for a football World Cup?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: There’s been enough warnings at this point, folks.

Any more provincial BS, accusations of bias, attacking posters (whether directly or indirectly) or any other nonsense is going to result in a Threadban.

The calibre of discussion here needs to improve across the board.

Aside from anything else, it's highly debatable that Europe was Munster's priority competition last season.

Be that as it may, there is a difference between not prioritising a competition, putting out a complete shadow XV and losing by one point and not prioritising a competition, putting out close to a first choice team and losing by 15 while conceding 50.

Munster had an excellent last 3 (or even 5) games in the URC. Let's not pretend they were not all over the place before then.

Can you point to any evidence to support the 'debate' that Munster's priority was the URC?

Can't remember one Champions Cup match where they didn't put out their strongest side, definitely none where they rested starters so they would be fresh for the URC.

Being far, far more likely to win the URC doesn't make it the priority.

Munster had an excellent last 3 (or even 5) games in the URC. Let's not pretend they were not all over the place before then.

I don't think I did, to be fair.

But since the origin of this conversation was about Crowley, it's worth pointing out that run of good form you mention coincided with Jack Crowley being handed the starting 10 jersey for the first time for a good number of consecutive games.

I don't think that's a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Had Frawley converted that missed kick then Munster would have lost that game and it would have been another SF exit to Leinster, only this time a second string Leinster. The narrative then would have been very different. The narrative then would have been Munster, with Crowley at 10, failing in the knock outs of both competitions against sides they probably should have beaten. Frawley missing that had nothing to do with Crowley. So I think you’re putting more on Crowleys shoulders here than is warranted tbh.

And I don’t want this to sound like I’m running the guy down. That’s not what I’m trying to do. But the hype machine is in serious overdrive here, just like other 10s from a certain other province, and it could use a bit of calming down.

• Advertisement

It's entirely possible for the URC to be the priority while still fielding your strongest side in Europe.

Advertisement