Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain - Women World Cup Champions - 1 week later. (How not to manage a crises)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If this gets as far as a courtroom, Rubiales is doomed

Why?

A Jury would be made up of people across a wide spectrum of society that have to determine innocent or guilt on the facts presented to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cops investigate themselves and find no wrongdoing all the time too. That doesn’t stop internal affairs, or superior law enforcement from their own determinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭crusd

Gross misconduct in not an easy bar. What happened, happened in private and the alleged victim has pulled out of the case. They would not have been able to invalidate the contract based on what was in the public domain. So once they changed their mind from reinstating to no longer playing the player they had to have a format of words that would not have implied a finding of culpability.

United didn't commence their investigation until the CPS determined he had no case to answer.

Gross misconduct in not an easy bar. What happened, happened in private.

What happened was recorded.

So once they changed their mind from reinstating to no longer playing the player they had to have a format of words that would not have implied a finding of culpability.

I imagine the format of words would have been consistent in either scenario, no?

i.e. he didn't do what he was originally charged with doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The facts would be laid out in the courtroom in front of the whole world and even if he is not found guilty (remember Greenwood wasn't even prosecuted), the facts as known to date, damn him. He might be innocent of the crime of sexual assault, but that doesn't mean he isn't a clownish, misogynistic, bullying buffoon, which is enough to make his job untenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭crusd

It was untenable in the right thinking mind, but in law? They had no grounds to dismiss once there was no prosecution and no other evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Grounds to dismiss are a much lower threshold.

If you are talking about Greenwood, then there may not be sufficient grounds to dismiss, especially if the private investigation backed up the claims that he was not guilty, and there was at least one possibly different interpretation from a longer audio tape.

However, if you are talking about Rubiales, which I am in this thread, there is more than sufficient evidence in the public arena to ensure that he can be dismissed on the basis of bringing the organisation into disrepute. By itself, the ham-fisted attempt to get Spain and Spanish clubs to be thrown out of European competition, on the grounds of the Spanish government interfering with soccer administration by commenting and acting on his personal situation is enough to get him fired, as he was putting himself before the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Plus the pictures of the smiling Hermoso with her mobile laughing on the bus has muddied the water somewhat.

In my cynical mind someone in the Spanish FA 'got' to the girls. Sees it has a opportunity as a good way to oust Ruibales And everything else is just a smokescreen. i see it as an internal Spanish FA power struggle. With this incident being a means to an end.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭Augme

No, United did make a criminal determination in their statement, which is below.

"Based on the evidence available to us we have concluded........ that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged"

A courts remit is to carry out criminal prosecutions. But anyone can make their own determination on a crime like united did with the above statement, it just carries no weight.

I never claimed they didn't investigate it. I have no doubt united investigated it. What I don't know is, who investigated it, who made the final decision, Did they engage an independent panel of legal experts to make a finding etc. I heard no mentioned of any independent investigation being carried out.

How united conducted the investigation of the extremely talented player they really wanted to keep was up to themselves. They decided to conduct an their own internal investigation and, AFAIK, decided not to engage any external third party expertise to make an impartial decision for them.

• Advertisement

How united conducted the investigation of the extremely talented player they really wanted to keep was up to themselves

United are worth about a reported 6-8 billion. That's a real money, not share price nonsense.

I could name probably 15-20 young players of talent akin to Greenwood in the past 15-20 years off the top of my head, none of which made it at United.

Bit of critical thinking required for this one.

United negotiate multi billion euro commercial deals and are currently in the middle of an astronomical priced buyout, the biggest ever in terms of football.

Why would Arnold potentially put any of that risk given the public perception for a player who statistically was not going to make it at United.

Why would he put his reputation at risk?

The reality is and I have a lot of sympathy for Arnold on this, he had to make a decision and explain a decisions whilst being precluded from releasing any details on how he came to that decision.

The narrative that they just really really wanted him so they tailored an investigation just so they could keep him is dangerously stupid in the extreme.

The easiest thing for United to do it terms of what was best for the club in terms of perception and financially was to find him guilty of gross misconduct and terminate his contract.

United are worth about a reported 6-8 billion. That's a real money, not share price nonsense.

Is it?

Until it's sold for real money then it's not real money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So some shadowy persons got at the 81 players to have them all decide not to play for Spain under Rubiales. Perhaps we should wait for more information to come out before leaping to wild conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well I would assume that the CPS have access to at least the same evidence that Man UTD did, hence they came to the same conclusion, nothing to defend here.

That's why I used the word reported based on an actual reported bid.

It's been reported the Americans want 8 billion. Your link suggest 6.

Therefore we get my statement of "United are worth about a reported 6-8 billion"

Well it is all a bit coincidental that Hermoso initially laughed it off (making jokes about it) and suddenly the issue got 'serious'. All those 81 could have been promised more recompense when the new Spanish FA head gets the gig along with their support. Win win for everyone. Plus there is the positive press and attention, and crucially sympathy for cause leading to more marketing opportunities for the women etc.

There is money to be made here. Look at the American women that play soccer, played the 'equality card'. Despite the fact that they had a better contract than the men. But wanted to re do the contract when it suited.

Make no doubt the Spanish women will profit financially from this Rubiales 'scandal'.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭Augme

There is a bit of critical thinking required on this one. Let's see if you're up for it.

"A player who was not going to statistically make it'. He's played 83 times for United's first team. Does that not constitute making it? If not, what exactly is thr criteria for making it. Also, do name the 15-20 young players who played 80+ games for United and who never "made it" too.

You mention risk and why would Arnold risk any commercial deals or the selling of the club for Greenwood. Sorry, but when did Arnokd do that? As United have announced, they are not going to retain Greenwood so Arnold never placed any risk on those deals. Now United and Arnold did try and get Greenwood back in to the team while hoping none of those commercial deals would be impacted but that failed, so they then decided to get rid.

What United wanted to do was to get Greenwood back playing for the club, when they couldn't do that without it causing a financial risk they got rid of him.

Yes you said it was reported, then you said it was "real money"

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Who defines "sexual harassment"?

Sexual Assault is most definitely a crime in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

The victims father doesn’t seem to be especially protective. The morning after the audio etc were released he made a statement saying he hoped they made up. What chance does the victim have in that situation.

• Advertisement

I see no link between players benefiting from the situation and the FA head actually causing the situation. This event doesn't need a shadowy puppet master to orchestrate it, Rubiales just made a number of unfortunate decisions since the event to tank his career.

I do I am very suspicious how it was all a laugh and a joke among the women - now the polticians have weighed in and so on and the narrative has become a lot darker and so on. I see it as a power play by the women egged on by those against Rubiales in the Spanish FA, along with some Spanish political support.

I am not saying Rubiales was not stupid for what he did, he was. But I am starting to question the real motives behind those who want him out - there seems to be a lot of agenda at play here. Much like the women's soccer 'equal pay' narrative I think it comes down to the thought of future money to be made. Where that be by the legal route or recompense by the Spanish FA. Also this 'scandal' is going to massively increase the women's profiles more followers online and so on. From those who would have little interest in the actual football - they can become influencers to them etc.

So Rubiales lied about their team mate, released a statement claiming she supported his statement and then threatened her and now they don't want to play under someone like that you believe that is not primary reason for wanting to get rid of him, but instead they are doing it for money?

You seem to have a very low opinion of these women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

From listening to multiple English football podcasts there was zero legal input into the investigation. It was just internal staff with no legal background.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Catch me up, here: are folks actually pressing for prosecution, conviction and possible jail for this kiss?

I was never clear on this point, threads moving fast, did the player say she was interested in pressing the charge. It falls apart or has legs depending on her choice.

I think the player, albeit not happy with his forced kissing, doesn’t feel in any way hurt about it.

Well she does like 80 other female Spanish players want him sacked. But you have to take into account his actions after the kiss as being a major contributor to that position.

Sacked is not what I was wondering on, really. I’d have little issue with his sacking. I was wondering about folks thinking he should be criminally prosecuted for his kiss.

• Advertisement

Given that if she wanted to press charges, she'd have a very good go at it legally here: if she just wants him sacked, he should quit and say thank you while doing it.

Advertisement