Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You'd have to wonder why? The more big names that leave the EPL to go there, the less attractive their bestest league in the world looks. Why would anyone pay to watch Grealish floundering like a salmon when they can see Ronaldo, Salah and other superstars in Saudi using other means than expensive Sky subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we could just get in a centre back now we'd be looking good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Joyce saying Gravenberch on his way for a medical.

40m euro.

Much needed. Should've been done earlier, but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Delighted for Nat, hopefully it works out for him and he gets a permanent move from it, whether it's to Celtic or elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

He's generally to the left of midfield 2 or 3 not right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Delighted for him. Hope it works out for him, it's been clear for a number of years that he hasn't any future at Liverpool, and he's been (paid well but) treated poorly IMHO. Never caused a fuss and never let us down. Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So…. Question is. Where will Grav play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hopefully at Anfield and wherever we are playing for away games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Agreed, I don't think the club have been very fair to Nat, and he has been an absolute model pro. Hopefully it works out at Celtic, they could be a great club for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Mo being offered a 1.5 million A WEEK , according to Sky !!!

• Advertisement

It's absolutely insane. That's 5x his salary with us? Plus no tax? So more like 10x

Still don't think he'll go this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Ox and Milner being replaced by Mac Allister, Szobo, Endo and Gravenberch.

That’s perfectly acceptable now, to be fair.

I’d have preferred a left sided centre back coming in before (or even instead of) Gravenberch because it’s clearly a more pressing need for us, but as far as late window signings go, this one is miles ahead of Arthur The Cripple and Caulker the centre back/emergency striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Yeah. And Sky are saying the transfer fee offer will be £150m, but £50 of that would be performance related.

About 4 days ago I read that exact offer of 1.5m and 100+50 on some Al Jazeera publication, but the figures were all USD not GBP, and it said the $50m would be difficult performance metrics to achieve.

Either way, Liverpool shouldn’t be accepting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gravenberch was very highly rated before he went to Bayern. He never seemed to click with Naglesmann though so was almost frozen out there. Apparently they wanted him to stay and see if he developed under Tuchel but their move for Palhinha has probably led them to decide to cash in to raise some funds. Obviously not a DM though so looks like they have decided to go with Endo as a stopgap for the time being.

Melissa Reddy

@MelissaReddy_

Deal negotiated by Jose Fortes Rodrigues from Raiola under tough conditions given Bayern have been unwilling sellers of Gravenberch (both in January and all through the summer). Midfielder buzzing at the chance to steer his development back on track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Neither do I , but that kind of money if true is , as you say, insane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Nat Phillips has been on £65,000 a week since August 2021, nearly £7M in that time. He's had a loan spell in that time too. How come people think he has been treated poorly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I can get a little conspiracy theory and salty when it comes to City and now Newcastle (all in good jest most of the time), but this is an indisputable fact, one of the clubs in the Premier League is actively harming the product by trying to sign the best players and taking them away from the PL. Think about how insane that is, and I wonder how long it will be allowed to continue.

Agree with you there, Klopp really treated him poorly, only played him when he had no other choice in 20/21 and even when he obviously wasn't in Klopp's plans wasn't let go. He's a limited player, but, crucially knows his limitations and seems to be a good pro. Also has CL football to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Can't see Salah going this year, maybe next summer, money will still be there.

On Nat he never complained but to let him go this late in the window with konate nursing an injury and Gomez and matip.prone and with virg facing a ban, it's suicidal not to have someone lined up to come in, rumours are out business isn't done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He had a contract to honour, or does that only matter under certain circumstances?

He was a proper pro and was on a decent wage. Seemed happy to be part of a fantastic team.

Some here seem to have no actual knowledge of professional sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It is absolutely beyond a joke, it should be addressed, but no one is going to touch that subject...how is it acceptable, that owners of an PL team, can purchase players from their opponents via teams they own competing in an entirely separate competition? It's a joke, there's not one key Newcastle player linked to that League. Do the Saudi not rate the likes of Brune, Joelenton, Isak, Trippier etc??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Good to get Gravenberch over the line....Klopp has a history of turning seemingly middling players into stars so hopefully it works out this time.

Re: Salah....in a normal market/transfer window I'd say there's no way he leaves but the Saudi money is so insanely obscene it's distorted everything....who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It’s not conspiracy. It’s reality. And it is only starting. And nobody is coming to do anything about it. The wall of money is inevitable. If City have thought us anything, it should be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Gravenberch and Endo for probably the same money we would have spent on Lavia is hopefully clever business. When I see Cole palmer and Nunes going for €50m I think we've been clever with our transfers and Mac for £30m was amazing business.

Adds some much needed depth and in many ways gravenberch has the same physical characteristics as Fabinho so I hope he'll be able to realise his potential under Klopp .

I'd be very disappointed if we don't strengthen the defence. Philips was solid backup and with Matip/Gomez/Konate likely be be injured in any game with VVD suspended why loan him if not signing a defender . Hope I'm wrong but my gut Gravenberch is last transfer and we are woefully short on defensive cover which I can't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He had a contract to honor, and he's honored it to the letter(unlike some others who are revered here and who took the soup when it was on offer) , giving 100% all the time and never shirked when called upon, he's certainly got his limitations and as I said at the start was well paid in our terms, but it was clear he was never rated or respected by Klopp and the coaches.

Anyway, good lick to him, hope a good permanent move comes out of it, he's served the club well and hopefully goes on to have a fulfilling career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gravenberch for 34m, great deal, as he's so cheap, we're getting a young talented player, who can play throughout midfield, who wants to improve, who was born at a very young age, and who has great experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea I cannot understand the lack of defenders either.

It's like not signing midfielders last year when we desperately needed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Hopefully that puts an end to any Mbappe speculation 😎 well at least till January;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Or much like the last time we didn’t bother buying defenders in summer 2020 when we desperately needed one or two. We don’t seem to learn…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Pots for tomorrows draw.

Group Stage Pots

Pot 1 - West Ham United FC (ENG), Liverpool FC (ENG), AS Roma (ITA), AFC Ajax (NED), Villarreal CF (ESP), Bayer Leverkusen 04 (GER), Atalanta BC (ITA) & Rangers FC (SCO)

Pot 2 - Sporting Club de Portugal (POR), SK Slavia Praha (CZE), Stade Rennes FC (FRA), Olympiacos FC (GRE), Real Betis Balompie (ESP), LASK (AUT), Olympique de Marseille (FRA) & Qarabağ FK (AZE)

Pot 3 - Molde FK (NOR), Brighton & Hove Albion FC (ENG), FC Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA), R. Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL), SC Freiburg (GER), AC Sparta Praha (CZE), SK Sturm Graz (AUT) % Maccabi Haifa FC (ISR)

Pot 4 - Toulouse FC (FRA), AEK Athens FC (GRE), FK TSC Bačka Topola (SRB), Servette FC (SUI), Panathinaikos FC (GRE), Raków Czestochowa (POL), Aris Limassol FC (CYP) & BK Häcken (SWE)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I've a feeling we won't have to wait too long before seeing our new CB partnership of Endo and Quansah in action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Obviously a CB short but that's a pretty good window imo. Big midfield upgrades and players that could be here for the next decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The average age of the midfield (and minutes in their legs) must have fallen off a cliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Good deal for Bayern, almost doubled their money on a player they clearly didn't want.

I don't know much about the lad but it looks like the club have been watching him for some time so hopefully he turns out better than last year's deadline day signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Ornstein said there could be late drama with Salah

There isn't really anyone we could sign in such short notice if he was to leave so hard to see it happening.

Would be such a shame to see him leave. Would be nice for him to win more trophies with us.

Who could we realistically sign were he to leave?

At this short notice, I can't see us signing anyone to replace him, it'll have to be a case of the other forwards stepping up. Even long term it's virtually impossible to replace what Salah brings to the team. Personally I think Salah will stay this season, and depending on if we secure CL football might even see out his contract, but, probably more likely he'll leave next summer. The Saudi rumours will persist for the whole season, as their window doesn't close for a few weeks yet and then it'll be onto speculation about the January window and so on.

As you say the vast sums of money involved plus us not being in the CL does open the door slightly on Mo leaving and if the season isn't going well by January, that will increase the chances of him leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Yeah it's almost like we are just regular people who don't work in pro sports full time or something....incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Great deal for Bayern, three starts in a year ,a failed signing and they doubled their money, strange signing , hopefully he can improve,at least he has been dropped from the Dutch team also so he won't be going on international duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

He'll probably be loaned back in January if they are struggling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

With Salah under contract are Liverpool not in the driving seat here to hold tough.

Even if Salah hands in a transfer request it can still be refused.

As much as Henderson has tarnished his legacy in going Salah definitely will if he tries to bail for the Saudi money on the last day of the transfer window or worse after the transfer window has closed for Liverpool but still remains open for the Saudi league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Ndidi arriving in as CB/DM cover wouldn't surprise me today,maybe even on loan.

He only started 12 matches last year and appeared as a sub in 13 in the league. I don't think he was favoured by Howe so an easy decision to let him go. The fact that the fanbase didn't seem to be mad that they let him go tells you a lot. Only got £23m for him as well, not money you would think a top class player would command.

As for this weekend, Villa played last night and I see while some first teamers got the night off from the start, they were still in the squad and it seems like most of their first 11 had minutes (minus Diaby and Digne from their starting 11 at the weekend). So this will now be the 4th game in 2 weeks for Villa so we should be fresher than them. That guarantees nothing, but looking for positives.

The difference between Salah and Henderson, Salah did not say he was an ally for the LBGTQ+ community and he did not proudly wear the rainbow laces/armband so the legacy for Henderson is not about his playing career but his moral stance.

We have also shown we will not keep a player that wants to leave. If Salah kicks up a fuss and demands to leave we will let him go, even after our transfer window opens I think. We will try to reason first with him to stay until we can get a replacement, but if he makes a stink he will be allowed to leave. That shows players that we will not keep them against their will, no Harry Kane here spending a couple seasons of your prime playing in an average team while the CEO plays games about your transfer value. So that is a positive for potential signings, but not great in the Salah situation now, swings and roundabouts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He joined Bayern in the last year of his contract, so his price at the time was not a reflection of his actual valuation.

The 35 to 40 million pounds Ajax got for other midfielders like Alvarez, Kudus, and Van De Beek is probably closer to what he’d have left them for under normal circumstances, so while his price has risen, his relative value is probably a wee bit lower than a year ago after his move hasn’t worked out - so it makes sense in that context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, me did manage to hang on to Coutinho for a short while after Klopp dug his heels in and turned it into a wide re-investment. Unless if they've got some secret deal in the bag for a replacement, the money's useless at this stage and Salah is not the kind of guy to go on strike so I don't see any logic to letting him go even if he wants to.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Yes, a player Eddie Howe was actively trying to move on as he had phased him out of the team towards the end of last year, very convenient an offer came in for him alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm hoping his failure is more down to Nagelsmann than the player.

He was touted in the same breath as Bellingham not long ago. Hopefully he has the hunger and we have a gem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement