Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

@Sam the Sham you can say it is obvious but it is not to some people, much the same way switching every year is obvious yet people are only starting to switch now. Things are only obvious when people know and until they know it isn't obvious.

The internet isn’t for everyone

It's true - I agree. You can easily get caught-up in looking at the discount %, so you're right to warn others.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Am I correct in my (cynical) assumption that the reason suppliers seem to be emphasising their wonderful discount percentages, is to keep all the rest (people who don't call/switch) on high standard rates? Yes - there is probably a yearly contract, but the break fee is usually not huge.

Otherwise, why not just reduce the standard rates, rather than applying apparently random % discounts.

• Advertisement

It's weighted that way, yes. Some people just aren't bothered with the faffing that goes with this, so pay the standard rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Thats what they offered me on the chat. Then for the next couple of weeks on the website they were offering 25%, now with 2 days to go on the website they are offering 44% discount. I did hear on the radio that gas prices were expected to drop significantly next month. Maybe this is them getting in ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

I use a similar spreadsheet, but as on LPG, only for electricity.

Unfortunately it is not just about discounts, but also the standing charge and possible cash back.

In my case, the SSE cash back +10% would be cheaper that their 15% for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Oh ye of little faith. Look at @irishchris . He's already through 12mths with Pinergy, and is way in credit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

It's in 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

Spoke to Bord Gais about a contract that expired in early August.

15% discount online.

Wouldn't offer anything higher. Lady spoke to her supervisor and came back to say: Higher offers are individual and based on a matrix of various metrics.

Since contract expired a few weeks ago, higher offers would not be available as somehow no longer a renewal.

But pre contract expiry nothing better was available at the start of August. So I'm guessing it's people whose contracts are expiring in September only that are receiving these offers.

Very busy meter-box that one! Three CT's and a sub-board! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

Yes, that's what was said.

Basically, a vague way of saying we choose who does and doesn't get a discount based on how much we want this customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭wassie

Sound like the humans have no idea and its left up to the algo to decide the winner and losers.

What a complete load of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

Don't see the BS at all. Algorithm will pick what the company wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am not sure what % discount is as only look at the prices. But best I can get right now, renewal with Bord gais, is Gas at 8.62c with - €169 service charge.

And for electric, 34c daytime, 25c night time and 42c peak with a 281 service charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭wassie

The BS is the 'company' cant tell the customer what the criteria is in any meaningful way. If the CS reps had some guidence, it helps inform the customers which is good customer service, regardless of the outcome.

The BS is that the poor 'company' CS reps were not even aware of these discounts when customers were ringing them up to discuss them. I had a CS rep tell me that my discount was only 13% and it was 'impossible' that I was getting 39% despite what my online account was showing.

I actually have a lot of sympathy for the BG CS reps over the last couple of days. How are they meant to do their job if the 'company' doesn't inform them as to whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Hey, I'm with Bord gáis, contract is up next month and they sent me this offer, I was thinking of going with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

I'm with Bord Gais, electricity only, contract running out 8 Sep.

Weeks ago they emailed me a reminder, I phoned them, they made me a "special offer" of 10% off. 🤔

So I ignored them, got more emails, finally signed up today online at 39% off (which I'm on at the moment)!!! 🤑

So it pays to wait. 😁

Is 33% off what you're on at the moment? Maybe wait like I did until a few days before contract end for their best offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Had SSe cold calling couple of weeks ago, yes they would pay me more than anyone else for my PV, but would charge me far more per unit used as well, way worse deal overall than almost all I looked at. Sent them on their merry way and told them to take us off their cold call list/address.

Two weeks later they were back, told them I was not interested, their colleagues had already wasted my time, they got a bit smart/lippy, told them the German Shepherd had not been fed today, was being let out and they had one minute to feck off, not seen them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

welcome pack from FloGas never arrived, but first bill today did.

rate is wrong, gas is supposed to be 9.04 cent ex.VAT, it's being charged at 10.21 cent ex.VAT. i'm assuming the electric will be on the wrong rate too, so i'm not waiting for the bill on that, just mailed them now to ask to have it corrected (along with a screenshot of the CP plan i signed up to). plan on the bill is listed as: Fixed Gas 12 NB AP23

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Bord gais just emailed me offering my renewal which isn't untill Oct 16th at 40 % discount up from present 39% discount rate.

Down from 29c Inc vat to 28.9c Inc vat plus standing charge €281.12.

Feck just emailed Flogas to cancel my changeover as I'm only 11 days inside the cooling off period, and accepted the Bord gais renewal offer online.

Jaysus feels like an episode of Fr. Ted here

Has anyone ever cancelled a switch within the 14 day cooling off period and if so could they tell me if they received a bill from the potential company they were switching too for the few days they were with then, or was their electricity for them days just charged from the provider they decided to stay with.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

CRU: " Once the cooling off period has ended:

1. The switching process is carried out through network market messaging with the Meter Registration System Operator (MRSO) within ESB Networks.
    2. You will receive a welcome letter from your new supplier.
    3. You will receive a final bill from your old supplier."

To sum up, you'll get no bill from Flogas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm being offered 40% discount from Bord Gáis to renew my contract. 28.91c/kWh and standing charge €281.12.

I'm thinking I won't get better than this, had a look on Bonkers and Yuno were the best they came up with at 38.04c/kWh and €361.44 standing charge. Have a couple of weeks to contract renewal. Can I do better if I get a day/night meter rather than my current dumb 24hr meter?

The CRU might be behind the times.

For me EI had submitted a change request to ESBN already today, one day into the "30 day" cooling off period which EI offer. I know this as Energia could see it as requested but not complete on the ESBN system.

• Advertisement

Day/Night meter rates are higher, also standing charge is €365+

Advertisement