Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Comical/Hysterical COVID News Stories of the past few years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Comparing painkillers to treat temporary pain, versus a vaccine to prevent symptoms of a potentially very dangerous epidemic disease. They have little in common and make a poor comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

People like myself who aren't at risk of severe illness or death not taking a vaccine that doesn't stop the spread of an illness doesn't put any strain on the health service of a country. Besides, it's widely acknowledged at this point that any protection you might get lasts a few months at best. Hardly anyone is getting boosters at this point so they are all pretty much the "unvaxxed" too after this long

Post edited by ceadaoin. on

Which vaccine works at preventing symptoms of COVID?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

When the vaccines were rolled out in 2021 they offered significant protection against infection and transmission. This is well documented in multiple studies cited on this forum.

Likewise it is simply false to state the protection against severe covid wore off after a few months or that such protection drops to zero after a few months even versus current strains. People are boosted to top up but that does not mean the previous protection lasts only a few months.

While the protection isnt 100% and wanes all of that adds up to significant level of protection in the population with all that means for the health service.

You post is just a rehash of thoroughly discredited anti vax disinformation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

People like myself who aren't at risk of severe illness or death not taking a vaccine that doesn't stop the spread of an illness doesn't put any strain on the health service of a country.

Wow, just wow.

1. Anyone can die from Covid, children and teens and young adults with no underlying issues have died from Covid. Yes it's rarer than older people and those with underlying but that doesn't mean you are completely immune to the disease. You can die from Covid. The vaccine reduces that risk.
    2. Vaccines reduce the spread of Covid (depending on variant). Keyword: reduce.
    3. There were young adults hospitalized in Ireland, that put a strain on the health system during the pandemic.

Boosters reduce the risk to the individual. Keyword: reduce. For some younger people that reduction of risk was too small for them to bother taking the booster. I know plenty of people who didn't bother with the boosters. We're generally out of the pandemic now, so it's not an issue.

During the pandemic, in order to reduce pressure on our hospitals and medical professionals and in order to reduce hospitalizations and deaths among the population (of all ages), vaccine uptake was encouraged.

It's very clear you've decided you are a victim of that. Okay, but no one cares. Likewise individuals who "didn't feel" like wearing masks had the same persecution complex.

• Advertisement

Take your pick....https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/covid19vaccineinfo4hps/covidstudies/

Edit: do you still think the comparison between painkillers and vaccination from disease is valid?

• Re opiates being prescribed after third molar removal, I’ve had these minor surgeries, never an opiate mentioned, just advised to take paracetamol if I wanted too. Was prescribed opiates following full colon removal, knee replacement, bowel obstruction surgery etc. Have taken vaccines offered, and as I’ve developed MS will take all boosters offered as I’ll have to go on immune suppression.

They can be prescribed after dental surgery. Much stronger than OTC stuff such as Sopladeine e.g.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Never been even me ruined to me. Had to drive my elderly mother on a mission directly after one of my more complex ones, had to be fully alert 😁 There wasn’t concession from neither surgeon nor herself 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Anyway, how could there be any anti-vaxxers posting on this thread? Thought they were all supposed to be dead by now, no?

No one ever said that. More anti vax hysteria.

A lot of them did die unnecessarily though. At least they died for what they believed in, so maybe that's a win for them?

• Advertisement

Yes because what I choose to put in my body is no one's business. The vaccines don't stop the spread so it has no effect on anyone what I do (and I think we all know from real world experience that they don't stop symptoms either).

The one time I did catch COVID I didn't give it to anyone because I was at home before and during, before anyone accuses me of being a super spreading plague rat lol. Didn't need hospital or medical attention and it was well after lockdowns and mask mandates anyway

I was prescribed tramadol. I try to avoid paracetamol too, and the 400mg ibuprofen I was also given worked well though so I just stuck with that. I don't think the opiates are necessary unless maybe you get a dry socket or something

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

You continue to make false claims about vaccines "don't stop the spread" or symptoms. This is false medical misinformation without foundation.

Especially for 2021 when the vaccines were being rolled out, and vaccine passes were in operation, there is well documented evidence on their "effect" at stopping infections, symptoms, transmission.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)00089-7/fulltext

Just wrong, very miss-informed and self-centered view of vaccines.

Edit: edited, there was no need for me to be rude.

Various governments around the world, such as Denmark and england, who don't recommend vaccination for under 65s or those not at risk of severe illness must also be misinformed and self centered then. I'm sure you never cared before about if people got the flu shot and you shouldn't care about this one either

Like I said, I am vaccinated for other things, with vaccines that actually prevent illness, as is my child.

Nope, it is just you are shifting the goal posts back and forwards in time whenever it suits your argument.

They aren't recommending them for the general population because so many people are already vaccinated and because Covid mutated. There is a high residual level of protection in the population. When they changed the guidelines - they called out at the time that it was a decision based on that past. If there wasn't such an update of vaccinations already they would still be recommending it.

So if you accept their guidelines now, why didn't you accept them back in 2021 when they were recommending vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Not sure when that study was concluded, looks like it's in retrospect. At the time it was decided by default that if you get vaccinated automatically you are immune and cannot spread the infection, and we all know that this is not true, I know I know the poor scientists had to produce a cure at the "speed of science".

Likewise it is simply false to state the protection against severe covid wore off after a few months or that such protection drops to zero after a few months even versus current strains. People are boosted to top up but that does not mean the previous protection lasts only a few months.

Also if you don't mind, from the same article, would you care to comment on this statement:

During a median follow-up of 108 days (IQR 69–145), a SARS-CoV-2 infection was confirmed in 27 918 individuals, of whom 6147 were vaccinated (4·9 infections per 100 000 person-days) and 21 771 were unvaccinated (31·6 infections per 100 000 person-days). The vaccine effectiveness associated with two doses of any vaccine peaked at 15–30 days (92% [95% CI 91 to 93]; p<0·001) and declined marginally at 31–60 days (89% [88 to 89]; p<0·001; table 2, figure 2). From thereon, the waning became more pronounced, and from day 211 onwards there was no remaining detectable vaccine effectiveness (23% [–2 to 41]; p=0·07).

What point are you trying to make exactly? The study showed for months after vaccination - and this was the period during which vaccine passes were in operation, that there was a significant reduction in infection and therefore symptoms and transmission for vaccinated people.

So the statements that have been made by anti vaxxers implying that being vaccinated made no difference are demonstrably false.

The effectiveness varied by vaccine type.

The study showed that initially yes you were 'immune', which is what lead to those statements. That level waned but was still significant for mRNA vaccines e.g. at 6 months from vaccination, there was 59% effectiveness at protecting from infection.

For the outcome SARS-CoV-2 infection of any severity... for mRNA-1273, with a vaccine effectiveness of 96% (94 to 97; p<0·001) at 15–30 days and 59% (18 to 79; p=0·012) from day 181 onwards

The effectiveness against severe was more durable:

For the outcome of severe COVID-19, vaccine effectiveness waned from 89% (82 to 93; p<0·001) at 15–30 days to 64% (44 to 77; p<0·001) from day 121 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Well that is not what is reported in the article. I quoted it in bold for you.

I couldn't care less if somebody wants to get or not get an injection, until it was forced in order to resume the standard way of living: at that stage I disagreed and decided that I had to be free to chose what kind of medication to take or what kind of precaution was necessary. However that didn't sit well with "the experts": I mean if the vaccine was so effective as you said and if the effects were not waning, why the hell people were indoctrinated to stay clear from the unvaccinated? Before you say something along the line of "so to protect the unvaccinated from the infection", don't forget that according to the whole narrative if you were vaccinated automatically you couldn't be infected.

Also I am not sure what got into you that in every comment you have to mention anti-vaxxer if somebody is trying to disagree with your post (not only you), I think it's an unhealthy obsession at this stage. Take care man, no seriously

Someone is an anti-vaxxer when they can't even bring themselves to describe them as vaccines but "injections", when they scaremonger about vaccines, when they misrepresent information about vaccines to present it in a negative light, when they engage in semantic games about vaccines, when they repeatedly make false statements about the vaccines without evidence or foundation.

Calling a spade a spade isn't an "unhealthy obsession" when you see the same discredited anti vax tropes popping up again and again.

Case in point: I quoted directly from the article. I have presented the documented scientific evidence on the effectiveness of covid vaccines in 2021 which is the time people here were deciding to get vaccinated, and when vaccine passes were in force. It is irrefutable evidence that the anti vax narrative that the vaccines did nothing to prevent infection, symptoms, transmission is false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

"If you’re vaccinated, you’re not going to be hospitalised, you’re not going to be in the IC unit, and you’re not going to die".

and

“You’re not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations.” 

were a couple of quotes that were doing the rounds from Joe Biden.

He said that based on the effectiveness reported in the clinical trials. He had a basis to state it, though he probably should have caveated it.

All the evidence shows that being vaccinated significantly, dramatically, though not 100%, reduces your chances of severe covid and therefore risk hospitalisation and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

Exactly. Which is why people were a little dubious when the reported trials ended up being more than a little wrong.

It's hardly tinfoil hat to be skeptical.

Thats all.

I edited my post too to include the other quote he said. You can't blame some people for thinking they'd been sold a pup when that was what was told to them.

They weren't sold a pup. The vaccine provided significant protection.

What he should have said was that the #1 thing you can do right now to ensure you don't end up in hospital is get vaccinated. The #1 thing you can do right now to ensure your loved ones don't end up in hospital is get vaccinated.

These statement is true, demonstrated in study after study, ICU after ICU around the globe.

Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,089 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I must be one of the lucky few unvaccinated survivors so? 🙄

I caught COVID, didn’t have any major symptoms. I took an antigen test, and when the positive result showed up, I was like so that's COVID? Pfft! I've had worse bouts of the cold when I was younger. The only real thing was I lost my sense of smell for a week or so.

It was ridiculous the government urging EVERYONE to get vaccinated. I'm not anti-vax, but not everybody needed to be vaccinated. The elderly and the immunocompromised, yes. I wore the face masks in shops and similar settings, used the hand gels right up until the end of last year, and I isolated when I had COVID. Who knows, maybe I had it other times but didn't have any symptoms.

You're all over the place here...stared with we should not have got vaccinated, then on to vaccines are like painkillers, not really necessary and now jumping onto Denmark and England post-covid policies....all while avoiding answering any direct question you are being asked...just random statements and when you are questioned on them you jump off on some other random thing.

Your individual experience does not dictate national health policy though. There was a measured approach, offering vaccines to people based on priority. Just because some people were low risk does not make them no-risk. You conclusions about who should have been offered the vaccine does not tally with the medical experts advice, which is what drove government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Remember when the Pfizer CEO said a study showed that their vaccine was 100% effective at preventing covid? I do. They lied, end of story. Pharma companies do it all the time, they are just out to make money after all

• Advertisement

They didnt lie. That was what the study showed.

You continually try to dump anti vax misinformation onto the thread. When challenged you dont try to defend the earlier falsehoods with evidence - you know you cannot.

The goalposts are shifted and another claim thrown out there as a distraction. A claim that is either false or in no way proves the earlier claim.

Classic transparent anti vax tactics. An entirely bad faith argument.

Your claims have no credibility.

Advertisement