Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭notuslimited

Hi All,

I hear EI plan to retrofit the ex-Qatar A330s to the standard EI business class config. Does anyone know when this is planned?

Having recently flown to FAO on EI-EIK, I found the seat terrible with the seating controls not working and the footwell being very small. I would like to avoid the ex-Qatar aircraft for a MCO run in Summer 2024 but at the moment the seating plan suggests that I will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Jan/Feb ‘24 is when they’re planned to be retrofitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

-LRD still on the ground in IAD following a tail strike on 30/08.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Tail strike on landing I presume? Not sure what the weather was like at the time but it did a late go around before landing on its second attempt.

Hopefully nothing too nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Hi all,

We are due to fly out to Mallorca with Aer Lingus in a week's time. Just got an email saying that some outfit called Privilege Style will be operating the flight instead.

This bit is kind of troubling:

"

We are confident the service you receive from Privilege Style pilots and cabin crew will be to the same high standards our customers expect from us. Privilege Style meets all Aer Lingus Safety Standards.

"

We're pretty nervous flyers. Can anyone provide a backstory and reassure us regarding this change?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Astral Nav

Aer Lingus frequently charter in extra capacity during the Summer from carriers that supply this service (known as ACMI).

They are audited by AL and EASA. No reason to be nervous. The Boeing 757 is one of the safest aircraft that has ever been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Privilege Style have been operating uneventfully for Aer Lingus for several weeks now and have been hired in in the past as well. We need to move past the notion that Irish airlines are safer than others and that those from Mediterranean countries or Eastern Europe are a bit questionable. Air travel is so safe nowadays that Eurostat reports that there were a total of 41 fatalities in commercial air transport in the whole of the EU from 2017 to 2021 inclusive - that’s about eight a year. Now think about the road accident statistics for Ireland alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Whatever about safety, you're being sold one thing and provided another.

It's a bad look for EI imo, even if you might 'luck' out on the contracted aircraft being a nicer ride than an EI A320.

Actually flew them home today after a short break and they’re absolutely fine! A bit tight with seat comfort but it’s an Aer Lingus service (P Style crew) and if the aircraft was painted in EI livery you’d prob never notice a difference! You’ll be fine. Enjoy the 757, it’s a beast of a machine that many don’t ever get the chance to fly on!

Your not being sold a service, your being sold a ticket from A to B, which is exactly what your getting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

That may be true, strictly speaking, but I don't think it's at all unreasonable for the average punter to assume that buying a ticket from a specific airline will result in that specific airline operating their flight with the aircraft/product advertised on that specific airline's website.

We've talked before about the brand damage being done by EI-EIL/EI-EIK in Qatar config. Leases to Wamos/Privilege Style are the same IMHO.

Just my €0.02 of course.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

I get what you’re saying and to an extent I agree, but to be fair to P Style, you’re getting an EI service. It’s pretty much identical right down to the catering on board, cabin interior, EI headrest covers even the mood lighting is the exact same. There also should be an EI crew member on board (there wasn’t yesterday tho). If they painted the plane green 99.9% of pax would never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Astral Nav

It's a fair point, some Irish passengers are still very brand loyal to AL, especially the older generation but sometimes there is just no alternative. See a few posts back, A321LR had an apparent tail strike and will be out of service for an extended period during peak season, do you expect AL to simply cancel all planned flights for the a/c? Granted some seems to be a tactical way to have Summer capacity without paying year round costs for crew and aircraft. Very little in aviation is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

That's not what the marketing materials say when you're buying your ticket.

Regardless, my point being that if you ask for Coke and get Pepsi, yeah its functionally the same thing but it's a poor look.

Aer Lingus is not the only carrier relying on hire-ins, with SAS, BA and Eurowings being amongst those regularly using other carriers' equipment on some routes. Air Baltic have operated into Dublin on both SAS and Eurowings services and seem to have spare capacity. It seems to be a fact of life at the moment as carriers find themselves in need of additional capacity, whether for seasonal or other reasons. Privilege Style are one of the small number of true charter companies still around in Europe so Aer Lingus must be happy enough to have secured them for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

I see ei daa diverted to Boston another aircraft stuck in the usa

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Better to provided an alternative than the flight cancelled. Aer Lingus are fulfilling their contract by providing similar transport arrangements to that which was booked.

Hire-ins are part of commercial aviation/ (certain airlines only operate as charter/hire-ins operators)

I do agree that the current longterm hire-in is a sign of some problem amongst their operation. (lack of crew/aircraft/engineers?)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I don’t disagree with the above points but hire-in ops have been part of Aer Lingus summer operations for over 30 years.

And is common across amongst nearly every scheduled airline.

I recall Ryanair using AirExplore on Dublin-Gatwick pre-covid and BA use Finnair and Air Belgium this summer, TUI use someone else for their Dublin flights too, a very common occurrence in the industry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI-DAA flew BOS-DUB in service following day so is not on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Welp, there's a report on -LRD on AvHerald now. Looks expensive.

https://avherald.com/h?article=50df4aef&opt=0

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I see another Privilege Style is due into Dublin today. This time their A330 EC-NZJ.

What's that going on and how long is the 757 staying for?

This has been scheduled for a few weeks now. I think it’s until the end of Sept for both the 330 and 757

Is the Wamos 330 finishing up? I think it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Still showing on bookings until mid-late September now. Maybe the incident with EI-LRD has required its extended stay?

Has there been a reason given why it was needed in the first place? They clearly had enough aircraft, especially once EI-GEY returned so was it crewing or lack of maintenance capability?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Massive increase in demand on DUB-IAD as a result of the American Football game in the Aviva I believe was the original reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

It operated the Barcelona flight this morning and will do the afternoon lanzaorte flight

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I agree that hire-ins are normal. However the current level of planned hire-ins is unprecedented.

They have 2-3 hire-ins per day for several months now. Its a wet leasing operation at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI-LRD is still in IAD so expect this to continue until it is repaired or we come to the Winter schedule switch over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

The 119 Wamos hire in was a result of crewing capability and not demand (pilots aren't working days off) - The biggest employee groups Pilots + Cabin Crew aren't yet reaching agreement with EI over proposed salary increases which is applying a lot of pressure to EI themselves in addition to M&E issues.

Demand spikes for the Football Classic was targeted with EI A330's being deployed ad-hoc. The Wamos charter is flying with existing Neo loads.

Damage to -LRD is in the millions, I don't see her airborne for at least a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Maybe if EI restored their pay from their current 90% to 100% pay, they wouldn't have these issues. I couldn't believe it when a mate of mine said he is only getting 90% of his contracted pay, despite the airline making millions and them paying all these hire ins which are not cheap.

I also heard LRD is in a bad way. Hoping it is not a write off.

Advertisement