Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain - Women World Cup Champions - 1 week later. (How not to manage a crises)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,555 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

doesn’t feel in any way hurt about it.

I think that is going a bit too far.

Her statement, bold mine.

After achieving one of the most important objectives of my sports career and after a few days of reflection, I want to sincerely thank my teammates, fans, followers, media, and everyone who has made this dream come true; your work and unconditional support were a fundamental part of winning the World Cup.

"The situation shocked me given the celebrations that were taking place at the moment, and with the passage of time and after delving a little deeper into those initial feelings, I feel the need to report this incident because I believe that no person, in any work, sports, or social setting should be a victim of these types of non-consensual behaviours. I felt vulnerable and a victim of an impulse-driven, sexist, out of place act without any consent on my part.

"I want to make it clear that at no time did the conversation to which Mr. Luis Rubiales refers to in his address take place, and, above all, was his kiss ever consensual. I want to reiterate as I did before that I did not like this incident.

"The situation shocked me given the celebrations that were taking place at the moment, and with the passage of time and after delving a little deeper into those initial feelings, I feel the need to report this incident because I believe that no person, in any work, sports, or social setting should be a victim of these types of non-consensual behaviors. I felt vulnerable and a victim of an impulse-driven, sexist, out of place act without any consent on my part.

"Simply put, I was not respected.

"I was asked to make a joint statement to alleviate the pressure on the president, but at that moment all I had in mind was to enjoy the historic milestone achieved with my teammates. For this reason, I always conveyed to the RFEF and its various interlocutors, as well as to media and people I trust, that I would not make any individual or joint statements on this matter, as I understood that doing so would take even more prominence away from such a special moment for my teammates and me.

"Despite my decision, I must state that I have been under continuous pressure to make a statement that could justify Mr. Luis Rubiales' actions. Not only that, but in different ways and through different people, the RFEF has pressured my surroundings (family, friends, teammates, etc.) to give a testimony that had little or nothing to do with my feelings.

"It is not up to me to evaluate communication and integrity practices, but I am sure that as the World Champion, we as a team do not deserve such a manipulative, hostile, and controlling culture. These types of incidents add to a long list of situations that the players have been denouncing in recent years.

"This incident, one in which I have been involved, is the final straw and what everyone has been able to witness on live television during the celebration also comes with attitudes like the one we saw this morning and have been part of our team's daily life for years.

"For all these reasons, I want to reinforce the position I took from the beginning, considering that I do not have to support the person who has committed this action against my will, without respecting me, at a historic moment for me and for women's sports in this country. Under no circumstances can it be my responsibility to bear the consequences of conveying something I do not believe in, which is why I have refused the pressures received.

"I have ZERO TOLERANCE for these behaviors.

"I want to conclude by making it very clear that while it is I who is expressing these words, it is all the players from Spain and around the world who have given me the strength to come out with this statement. In the face of such a display of disrespect and inability to recognize one's own mistakes and take responsibility, I state here and now to everyone of my decision not to play for the National Team again while the current leaders remain.

"Thank you all for the messages of support and encouraging words received. I know I am not alone, and thanks to all of you, we will push forward more united than ever. I leave this matter in the hands of TMJ and FUTPRO, and the people I trust. They will continue working on the next necessary steps."

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Just seen the video of the women laughing and joking about the kiss. If that's sexual assault then i guess they think it's funny.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The topic is Spain and its women's football team and the incident after the World Cup Final. It is not Manchester United and it is not Mason Greenwood. If you wish to discuss that then start another thread on it (but be aware of libel laws if you do).

And stop the bickering, as threadbans will follow any more of it. I am sure the main culprits know who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Player power, can I mention Vera Pauw here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

You can but it has no relevance here. A total different situation I'm not sure it's fair to include Vera Pauw I'm the same conversation as Rubiales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,551 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Neither the time or the place for that soapboxing.

What a bewildering comment to make. How is it neither the time nor the place?

She was there to receive an award for coach of the year not to turn it into some political stunt which she did.

Politics has no place in sport, none.

• Advertisement

There is some hilarious audacity in a cis man trying to tell a cis woman what she is and isn't allowed to say while she accepts an award for Women's coach of the year. Much less to speak about an incident occurring in women's sports, while trying to appeal to apathetic men who think there is nothing wrong here, appealing to them to LISTEN.

You crack me up in a bad way.

Another thought spawned in bitterness and hatred.

Literally the most appropriate time and place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Try telling that to Russia, China, USA or indeed any of the big world powers. Sport is politics in their view.

Saudi Arabia top of that list, they've been aggressively greenwashing with LIV golf. No friend of women in sport. No ally against sexual harassment. But I think we're digressing. Spain..

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Never understood this “Politics and sport don’t mix.” Politics and sport have always gone hand in hand. It’s what gets things done in sport!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Thats exactly what happened. It was a nothing issue. Certain groups on the internet blew it up as usual. Voices were projected into ears for the next few days. People getting worried about their sjw image and now we are where we are. If he gives now he is screwed anyway because there will be no pushback allowed. If he takes it all the way we will now see a lot more footage from all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

True, the allegations against Pauw are far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's pretty relevant, she's responsible for the wellbeing of players and them being treated professionally. On top of that she made a clear effort to focus the attention on the players who won the world cup rather than the **** incident. Also I think she's earned the right to comment.

The problem there is most reasonable people think it is ludicrous he should face a sexual assault charge, that's why they have pivoted away from the actual peck on the lips and focused on the aftermath which in reality has nothing do with any possible pending sexual assault charge.

The reason for that is someone they like and admire in the future may make a relatively small mistake which draws the attention of the mob, if they don't fully agree that person should not collect 200 and go to jail and be cancelled immediately they are afraid they will be seen as being hypocritical. Which of course would be a fair reflection.

As for Jenni Hermoso apparently "they" whoever "they" are are putting a lot of pressure on her to join the criminal prosecution.

The problem is if this becomes a criminal prosecution then due process legally has to be followed, grandstanding and soap boxing by senior figures and politicians will have to cease. Insta declarations for likes may get one in trouble. It will also become quite a long drawn out affair. Which of course doesn't suit the attention span of the mob, facts and established truth won't matter in months time as they will be off cancelling someone else.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,469 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Would have thought Vilda or even Giraldez would have won Coach of the Year.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,469 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You have to actually coach to win "coach of the year" 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,613 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I disagree they were all veneer lead optics - I could go through each one of those listed and point out major issues behind the scenes still unresolved and the motives of the individuals. For example the South Africa world cup was supposed to be styled as anti apartheid etc - one the world could get behind. But after a few short years the veneer of South Africas new rulers wore thin as the country was riddled with corruption - Winnie Mandela etc. The the WWI football match was an exaggerated myth if you do any level of research into it, by the way.

People seem to only want things to be 'political' when they agree with it.

1934 world cup Italy

1936 Olympics Germany

1978 world cup Argentina

1980 Olympics Moscow

1984 Olympics Los Angelus

1972 Olympics Munich (PLO v Mossad)

2008 Olympics Beijing

2012 Olympics London

2014 World Cup Brazil

2022 world cup Qatar

--

If you are ok with politics hijacking sport for things you agree with, you cannot give out about politics hijacking sport for things you don't agree with. All of those countries listed were questionable for their political actions, or actions surrounding the events. So who decides where the line is drawn? Only when it suits the agenda?

What is happening with this Spanish issue there are massive agendas at play who see it as a chance of

1) Getting publicity off it

2) Furthering an agenda that goes beyond the sport itself

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

In relation to the final point of your post, Sarina Weigman specifically alluded to that in her comments about the continued need for improvement in society.

Sport is inherently tribal, the wearing of colors, the pledging allegiance, the disdain for opponents, the lifelong commitment are all things that nearly every team sport has fans who behave in these ways and many take it to the extreme either individually or collectively.

All these are traits that are common amongst some political groups in the same way. And as others have pointed out, there is no shortage of incidents where the links between sport and politics were irrefutable.

Let me add some more to those already mentioned.

Its just over 20 years since the GAA removed rule 21 from its books. This is the rule that was in place for over 100 years that banned members of the British forces from being members of GAA clubs and from GAA club members fraternizing with events organized or controlled by the British forces.

Israel was removed from the Asian football conference because of a refusal of some countries in the conference to play matches against them.

Mohammad Ali was sanctioned by Boxing organisations for his refusal to be drafted in to the US army for the Vietnam war.

US Conservatives reacted to Kaepernick's protest by having Mike Pence specifically fly to a game so that he could leave in protest when Kaepernick protested as he was doing at each game. Aside from that, the NFL regularly fetishizes the US military and military planes flying over their games are a frequent occurrence (as it was in Dublin last weekend).

Saying sports and politics shouldn't mix is the usual selective outrage. Same as when they get upset at Hollywood because some actor calls for fair treatment of people or whatever. This despite their most popular President probably of the last 100 years used his persona has a leading actor in Hollywood to get elected, and their most recent President was best known for a reality TV show before he was elected.

Whatever about Rubiales mother going on hunger strike in a church to support her son, his uncle is no fan of him.

The same article says that Vilda is likely to be sacked as there is a newly converged board of the Federation. Rubiales and Vilda's stubbornness at this point is something they could live to regret further. Even aside from them clearly not feeling they did anything wrong, they surely should see the writing on the wall and if they had announced that they were stepping down for the greater good of the event being confined to history that it would help them in securing future roles, wherever they might be.

• Advertisement

The problem there is most reasonable people think it is ludicrous he should face a sexual assault charge

did you already run a poll???

so many of your posts depend on laundering opinion as assumed facts

Advertisement