Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TFI Live - Real Time Transport Planner App

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I went for a bus a couple of weeks ago - wasn't showing as live or cancelled and wasn't on the map or on BusTimes. 10 minutes after it was due I gave up and started walking home, of course it passed me at the end of the road.

So it seems the possibilities are

• Marked "Live" - is running
    • Marked "Live" - is not running
    • Not marked "Live" - is not running
    • Not marked "Live" - is running
    • Marked Cancelled - is cancelled

IDK if anyone has experienced a bus marked "Cancelled" that then showed up, but that would complete the set for this useless system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Great app, cheers, handier than using bustimes.

Astounding the difference in quality and ease of use for this Vs the official TFI app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A planned outage this morning from 10-12.30. What a stupid time to choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭p_haugh

They've been doing outages around that time for a good few years now, it's only evident now that the app sends out the notification each time

Well, it was evident to me as I was standing at the bus stop wondering whether there would be any way to get to Celbridge today, since the C4 appears to be barely operational at the moment.

I get the bus at that time nearly every day - never saw an outage at that time previously.

• Advertisement

It's not every day, mind you. Usually every couple of weeks I get the notification through the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Try http://yourstop.info

I'd be very surprised if a bus showing on the map or trip diagram doesn't show. Of course a scheduled bus without live tracking showing up is a different story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭john boye

TFI live seems to be specifying cancelled departures now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭trellheim

I wish they'd fix the start page to just be the map , its with extreme reluctance I use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Any idea why TFI's data feed to other apps hasn't been working all day? transit app says real time not available from provider & on bustimes live Dublin bus vehicles are displaying but with no route numbers, so you're sorta guessing which bus is yours. I refuse to use the god awful TFI Live app!

• Advertisement

Just to point out, it's specifically DBs data feed, GAI and BE seem to be tracking fine on bustimes and transit. Was like this yesterday as well.

So it seems citymapper is back to showing realtime info rather than just scheduled, and has the bus locations showing for routes as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭VG31

I downloaded that app (was looking for an alternative for the TFI app which I've yet to find) and while the UI is nice, there is a considerable lag in the bus location updating. The bus location is often 5-10 minutes behind where it is in the TFI app. I also found saving stops to be awkward and difficult to access.

I'm still using the TFI app as even with its bad UI it still has the most reliable information, which isn't saying much.

Hopefully the real time in Google Maps is fixed soon. The live bus location is something I've seen in other cities such as Stockholm so it should be possible here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

The old TFI planner had glaring errors around rail in Northern Ireland, and the new app is no exception.

It appears that trains from Derry only run at 1838 and 1938 daily. Try searching Derry to Bellarena stations and the options are pure comical.

Deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,125 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I just hope they don't: a favourite stop is what I want 95% of the time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I can see how that might be preferred if you use just the same two stops every day. However I find it pretty useless given the large number of different stops I can use. I can use 6 different stops from where I live depending on where I'm going and the route I take.

Personally I think the best landing page would be something like the Citymapper app.

Map of your current location on the top half. From to search boxes in the middle and then your favourite stops at the lower half. Best of both worlds.

Transit app is also an interesting concept, showing you the map on the top half and then on the lower half the actual real time departures of all the stops close to you. Much better then a list of simple favourites, which you then have to click on to see the times like on the TFI app.

The TFI app is so old fashioned, too many buttons presses and tabs. Scrolling down like you do on the Citymapper and Tranist app is much easier to use and shows more useful information faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I have 6 stops favourited and there is space for at least three to four more on my average size phone screen if I wanted them so I'm not sure this argument holds. Perhaps a customisable option on what landing page you chose might be a better choice.

Another bizarre cock-up by TFI - for some reason it is appending Ballynagard and Culmore, parts of Derry City, to random Northern Ireland bus destinations such as Limavady, some sixteen miles away.

Some clowns, some circus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anytime there's a significant incident resulting in cancellations or major delays with Irish rail this and the Irish rail app continue to report everything is fine, trains on schedule etc, often for hours afterwards. This happened following the storm this weekend and also after one of the fatalities on the northern line last month. It seems the only way to be sure that the trains are actually running is to check their Twitter account. I am really starting to wonder what the point of these apps are if they can't be trusted to tell you when there's major problem.

• Advertisement

I believe it's due to the Irish Rail realtime being calculated based on what station the train is at or what signalling block it's passing, which more often than not falls back to showing scheduled times. It's quite the hodgepodge of a system that evidently falls apart whenever there's significant delays.

Hopefully with Irish rail beginning to roll-out the ETCS system and their general overhaul of the signalling system as a whole, they can manage to have proper realtime in place for the trains!

Post edited by p_haugh on

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

A few questions:

- Google Maps still hasn't been updated to show real time info? What's the story? Seems basic.

- TFI Live app - is this the only app to get proper real time info? I'm in Dublin and use trains, bus and Luas

- Can we start a coordinated effort to email NTA / local councillors about the appalling app, until they do something....

Citymapper and Transit also show realtime data (Transit for the whole island). Now, they all use the same GTFS data provided by the NTA, but Transit seems to handle that data a lot better than citymapper does.

There is some stuff that they can't display, like cancelled buses. Seems the NTA don't provide that as part of their public GTFS data, which is unfortunate.

TFI app is down. Nightmare. How did we ever survive just standing waiting on buses! Bad as it is, that little green bus icon moving on the map gives great comfort in knowing that there is a real life bus out there somewhere, even if the estimated times are a fantasy.

Real time has been missing for months now in Google Maps. It can't be that hard to update. It would be great to have a viable alternative to the TFI app. I was in Stockholm a few months ago and you could see the live bus location in Google Maps so the same should be possible here.

I've downloaded a few other apps but none of them have as up to date tracking as the TFI app. They can have considerable lag which isn't much use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As I posted on another thread - Google Maps for some reason didn’t switch to the new data feed in April - the schedules on google maps are now out of date.

Yes I know that. I'm just surprised they still haven't updated it.

Can't find it on my Play store. Fingers and toes crossed it's launched soon!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You're talking to a robot.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Economics101

Had occasion to use TFI app to-day: showing "no information available" or some such message whan requested for bus times.

On checking, I see that the TFI App has got really poor reviews, such as this one:

Seems TFI paid some consultants over €4m for this. NTA/TFI seem to know nothing about actually making public transport work. How did we ever do without them is the past?

It’s nothing to do with the app.

The Dublin AVLC system doesn’t seem to be working properly today - the live GPS positions aren’t feeding out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I dunno, I hated the new app at first, but now that I'm used to it I find that it pretty much does what I need it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,353 ✭✭✭markpb

It's easy to forget but before NTA, things were much worse. Applications for new inter-city bus routes had to be dealt by Dept. of Transport where they would disappear into a void for many months only to be declined because some other operator had a route that was vaguely similar. CIE were happy to let each of their subsidiaries act independently so cross-operator tickets were only for month or annual ticket holders who paid handsomely for it. There was no Leap card (sort of), no fare capping, no cross-operator 90 minute ticket, no website with a combined journey planner and no real-time system.

I'm far from saying that NTA are perfect or even good but they have 30 years of bad management and no investment to catch up and, on top of that, they have very few permanent staff so everyone there is a contractor and could be gone in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭thomil

That's generally my experience as well. The one major issue for me however is that the app always seems to default to Dublin when I want to check the real-time position of a bus. The last time I checked, the 220 Cork city service doesn't go to Dublin...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭thomasj

i find bustimes.org to be great as you can go onto the map and check is there a bus en route, where is it ? and when is it due at my stop. its a great webpage for that information

• Advertisement

I know it's not the fault of the app, but they should really be proactive about issues like this by making use of the notification system in the app that's used for service disruptions etc.

I.e. have a notice put out going like "Please bear with us, but realtime data is not currently available" or something along those lines.

The TFI app really frustrated me today. I was in a hurry to get across the city and needed to switch in town. There were lots of options I knew I could use, and I knew the app was missing half of them.

The easiest switch would have been 13 to a 27 on College Green, but it simply wouldn't show that option. A 27 was due to arrive 5minutes after I got off the 13. I ended up walking to the 140, as there was one due in 2mins, but that option was also not shown.

On the way home, I was trying to click my address from 'Recent Locations', but clicking did nothing. I had to type it out again. Useless.

Also this is not the 140 route. Utterly useless.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You should try the Transit app, it seems to work well and unlike Google Maps it uses the realtime data.

So seems they have added that into the app! It didn't send out a notification however, I had to click on a route to be able to see it.

Also got an email about the disruption as I set up an account in the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I'd have used a 'Dublin City Bus Services' term to make sure people understand it's in relation to both bus operators.

• Advertisement

It was only the Dublin Bus AVLC that was down. Go Ahead was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

TFI's information distribution regarding the (necessarily) extensive service adjustments for the Dublin City Marathon today are a disgrace.

The official list of diversions available on the TFI website and on the app (though useless on the latter as you cannot scroll it) only covers Dublin Bus routes. NO mention of Go-Ahead or other operators services. Seriously, wtf?

Go-Ahead do have information on the affected routes' timetable pages on its own website but they are just a list of stop numbers that are not in service with no narrative or location names. I mean seriously, are we supposed to parse this to figure out what sections in service?

• 17 Diversion
    • 26th Oct 2023 onwards
    • Please note due to the following event Dublin City Marathon the following diversion will be in place from 08:00am to 18:00 on Sunday 29th of October 2023. 

• This means these stops will not be in use on the day until the road reopens. Approx. time 18.00 pm. We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause our customers. 

• Stops affected: 2068, 2010, 2069, 2009, 2070, 2008, 2084, 2007, 767, 2071, 2012, 2082, 867, 2052, 866, 869, 865, 870, 864, 873, 863, 874, 862, 861, 3012, 3011, 2820, 2823, 5032, 2892,1334, 1300, 1335, 1299, 1336, 1120, 1087, 1119, 1088, 1118, 1089, 1090, 2437, 2413, 2436, 2414,m 2435, 2415, 2327, 2451, 2464, 2465, 2466, 2449, 3360, 3358, 3357, 1392, 1391, 1394, 3356, 3355, 3354, 3353, 1409, 1407, 2190, 1406, 1381, 1366

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭briany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

This app is terrible. I was intending to get the 63 today from DL app said 12 mins the app the bus continued to count down so but kept getting stuck. 35 minutes later the bus showed up which was annoying as three 46a went past in the meantime which I could've used albeit with a longer walk to my destination.

The service I intended to use was clearly cancelled but never showed on the app. Another time I used it the service counted as normal until it got to due when it appeared as cancelled.

Realtime seems to be somewhat back on Google maps? The 133 that's marked as cancelled is still tracking according to TFI Live and Transit, the other times seem to correlate though. Bus positions still aren't shown outside of the stop listing either.

The issue of a lot of services showing the full duty they're part of is still present also 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Two Ls in 'cancelled'...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭TranslatorPS

The issue of a lot of services showing the full duty they're part of is still present also 🤷‍♂️

The only way to get rid of that would be to get rid of the piece of information that links the trips together, and that's actually on the data creator level, ie. the NTA (or DB+GA+BE).

(As somebody who enjoys schedule analysis, I'm personally against, but objectively I can see the confusion.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,600 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does anyone know if the TFI Live app is accurate at the moment with services running Sat/Sun services on weekdays? Are the listed upcoming departures following the appropriate timetable rather than the typical M-F times?

Looking at planning a trip tomorrow but I'm hesitant to trust it given it was counting down departures (not even marked "scheduled") on Christmas Day when nothing was running.

Edit: looking at the pdf timetables it doesn't seem accurate today anyway. Looking at the C4 Maynooth terminus it's listing departures in line with the M-F times on the pdf when it should be Sat times. What a disaster.

Edit again to say that if the little green bus icon moving on the map is to be believed, then the departures on both C1 and C4 right now are following a M-F timetable and not Saturday, as advertised. Who knows what to believe?

Post edited by Hippodrome Song Owl on

• Advertisement
Advertisement