Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

It’s like a lot of industries there is a lot of people collecting a wage every week regardless of what happens to their customers so don’t be surprised if they’re not willing to bend over backwards for you.

Makes zero difference that you’re getting 2c/L less this month to them when they’re paid at the end of every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

People aren't queuing up to get a job in co-ops and mills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

you dont need to talk to any milk advisor.... the GDT auction is enuf to tell you where milk price is going... then look at what fonterra is paying compared with this time last year.... production is up across the world and feck all product is being purchased... it will be in the 20's in the spring.... cest la vie....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mostly because pay is shite …our local store has and has had great people working there with good work ethic but it’s just a stop gap as pay is rubbish a

nd little chance of progression ……whilst there is people bit further up food chain that are stone useless

Why the fixation with New Zealand 🤔🤔were multiple times better than them at this stage ….they have questionable welfare and enviro standards and hugely dependant on one market china ……our markets are bit more diverse and product mix better

production isn’t up in any significant way that there is mountains of product been stored …..as to where our milk price will end up looking at things now ….we’re heading into reduced volume period and end of season …..see next April long way off and lots can happen ….milk price proably heading for 30 or very low 30s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I know a lot of the co op stores are paying better than big supermarkets. The multi national companies are taking a lot of the Lab staff who are hard to compete with. A lot of mills are short staffed at present as young people don't want to work in that environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Something I only realised recently is that Ireland is actually a lot closer to China than new Zealand is. They must have much more expensive transport costs than we'd have which goes to show how ridiculous it is to compare our prices to theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It might still be cheaper straight boat trip. No Suez canal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

im only listening to my neighbours who work with Kerry in their warehouses.. feck all moving they say.... these are just ordinary workers who handle bags of powder etc on a daily basis...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

No but the coops in general but especially glanbia is hugely over staffed with people who really aren't needed

Not sure how we’re meant to get by if it goes anywhere near 30 cent or below with such high inputs. I don’t want to hear this what did you spend your money on when prices were going well crap from the likes of grasstomilk which has been asked before from me. They should be going well every year for the amount of work and b.s we have to put up with. Something seriously wrong in the world. I wish every farmer no matter what they produced could all go on strike for 1 month of the year and let the people see the consequences. They’ll queue in line for the latest iPhone and pay 1k but want food for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭older by the day

It's up to everyone how they manage their business and their money. And unfortunately we are in a very volatile business. No EU or government support only global prices. All I was saying earlier being sarcastic, that when milk was 60 cent, some cash should be stashed. I heard a local bought a fairly expensive tractor last November and didn't pick it up till march because he didn't need it. If you don't believe me I have a more incredible one, farmers paid 550 euro/acre to lease land, because milk was at a good price. There is no helping that sort of business person.

I wasn’t having a go at you and I know full well some lads have lost the run of themselves from one reason to another. This lack of fairness and moving goalposts during a match and listening to rte just can all get a bit much at times that’s all. From 6 years farming in my own right I will genuinely struggle to pay bills from the end of the year. First time ever. God forbid I should want to pay for a holiday for myself.

I know. Don't let it get on top of you. Meet up with friends for a day out. Take a Sunday off now and again.

Every thing is transient. That's what I tell my lads when they have a Shiite time. Things move on. Ups and downs have always happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

That's farming unfortunately. Sh1t is your thanks literally. God forbid a farmer would reinvest their hard earned money or expect to have a few bob left over for themselves after everyone else is paid.

I spent last year's profits on land so things are tight this year too. The tax bill will be the big unknown for me here that I'm trying to save for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

How is a big unknown ?

youve you’re accounts sone for last year ?

Madness how at this stage you wouldn’t know your tax position …..all my 2023 details submitted once Decembers cheque in and accounts finalised my end February …Ifac do mine ….bookkeeping done every 3/4 months so even by last October I’d good idea where I was ……I’ve money going direct to revenue by direct debit monthly too so no big ball of money to come up with in November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I wouldn't let anyone giving a lecture re banking last years profits as a slush fund get to you, theirs farms where the milk cheque is the sole income and that's what buys the weekly shop for the family/keeps the lights on , then you have lads that couldn't tell you what the weekly shop is even costing as the wife with a good job and the kids past childcare age takes care of house finances/helps with mortgage payments/car etc....

Where your at re development stage is huge to, just coming out of the huge loan commitments stage here took on over the years and honestly if it wasnt for the fact I can see light at the end of the tunnel re that, I'd be in a lot where situation going in next year trying to keep all the plates spinning....

When over 10 cent a litre is going towards serving intrest/principal repayments on highly leveraged farms like is the case here, you cant really sustain current milk prices for any length of time without racking up huge merchant Bill's etc

No, obviously not like

• Advertisement

Wont you be caught badly on your deposit money straight of the bat re the land, whatever you used out of 22 profits will have to come out of your after tax income for 22

Yea. My accounts are usually 24 month accounts and ending in February so we'll see what can be done. There was talk of incorporating but I don't know. My accountant is like everyone else. Take on all the work in the world but can't get around to doing it.

I'd chase her up about it but I've enough to be doing besides going into her office. Spraying docks today like for the odd dry day I get.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The next 12 months is when the real money is made out of milking.what you do in this period will decide what your income will be for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Jaysus if its a case she can't get to you I'd be moving on, the tax liability could be serious, if you have everything gathered going thru yourself will give a rough idea. Only so much can be done to reduce it now afaik bar a pension contribution or the likes but that will still be money going out

When I bought a bit of ground bank wanted last 3 yrs and up to date accounts for that year, and when negotiations ended up being stretched out into the end of the tax year they wanted the finalised submitted accounts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

2 things I ve found helpful for taxation. in a spring calving scenario have your tax year ending in June as it probaly is one of the lowest points in the year cashflow wise.second preliminary tax payments.a godsend when the final figures are added up

I dropped the accounts in to her around may I'd say. Might send her an email later. I'm expecting a bill of 40k which is double my usual amount. I tightened my belt early this year. No big spending this year, alot of bills paid now and hoping the current account will bulk up between here and November. We'll see what she says about incorporation.

External factors like Charlie failing to get the 250kgs for 2024 which if he fails is basically the bell ringing on derogation been pulled altogether for 26 will have a lot bigger effect then anything that can be done in-house... ..

A good chunk of money will need to be taken out in loans next Spring on alot of farms to provide working capital for the 2024 season, and keep numbers steady without drastic actions re culling etc weather the banks/co-ops provide this option in low intrest loans is debatable

• Advertisement

There are only 16k dairy farmers left in the country. There will be alot less without derogation. The way the policy makers see it is that derogation farmers are only a small percentage of total farmers and are therefore dispensable.

Advertisement