Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Disaster . Get well soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Haven't really been following the guff around this, but is it gonna be a No Man's Sky kinda jobbie that expands and improves over time, or is it more of a linear Mass Effect yoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

One review said it was a step down from no man's sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Looks like exactly what they said it'd be. No surprises to be honest from all the previous footage and information. I think it's a game that'll run for years, with mods etc. I think you'll get more out of this game the more you put into it. I'll definitely jump in on GamePass.

But it's not an XBox Series killer app. You could mash up a lot of games available on other platforms to give much the same experience. Still, it could have been a lot worse. MS have something to definitely build on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What about the other reviews that are overwhelmingly positive?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It shows the silliness of review scores when something that gives a person 90 hours of entertainment. And they were looking forward to putting in 90 more, would be rated at 75/100. And that 75 would be considered a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

You must have rubbed yourself raw at this stage

The last few pages have been pure sh1te to read because of you

Sure play the game and ignore the criticism.

Best review on YouTube. Copy and paste planets like mass effect from 2007.

https://youtu.be/3uuI-6fwwtY?si=QTx5hY_ylxQ8ImWE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have read a few reviews and watched a couple of videos. Seems like it's the best Bethesda game performance wise yet, but still a Bethesda game so still have some "expected" jank. AI looks to be primitive. And it's not a constant stable 30fps, with some brief drops. If you're not gonna give a 60fps option, you should make sure 30 is the minimum! IGN performance review saying lower to middle end PC's should target 30 too. Also disappointing to hear about all the unskippable loading. Seems like it'll be down to how much Bethesda jank you can handle. Those dead eyes persist.

I've stopped watching/reading anything now, and will wait until next week to try it myself. Will give it a week to iron out any remaining issues hopefully. How does it feel to pay to be last minute beta testers?! XD /jk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: OK, you’ve made your point now many times over, we can only assume you’re trolling if you keep just repeating the same thing for a reaction. So please engage with the conversation in a more productive manner or stop posting in the thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People are allowed to enjoy flawed things. I know I've enjoyed flawed but interesting games way more than polished more triple A games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't get the fascination with the endless empty planets. Does it really still impress people these days? I know it's part of space exploration but it's not something that should really be hyped.

A dense futuristic city/settlement setting with loads of nooks and crannies to explore is what would interest me.

first issue for myself and a lot of people online is can't get into game 😅😂Isn't registered that paid for early access upgrade .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Interesting review there, doing the main campaign and no side quests takes around 15 - 18 hours.. not that anyone ever does that, I don't anyway

well this is a joke . Great idea staying up until 1am 😅🪓

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I bought the €30 game pass upgrade as opposed buying game out right with ultimate edition or whatever it's called for €100 but should work regardless ?

working now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I had to restart Steam twice to get it to work. First to get it to recognise the game should be available and begin the unpacking, the second was to get the Play option to enable. After that it's been very stable and quite a lot of fun so far though I'm only up to the first story hub.

Also for the Nvidia peeps this mod to replace FSR with DLSS (2) works perfectly - https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/111?tab=description . I set my resolution to 75% and went from 75->95 FPS @4k/Ultra on the scene I was in before quitting. I don't know if this invalidates the achievements or not but personally I never care for those so you might want to monitor it's help thread before committing if you do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Digital Foundry is very positive about the performance. Seems like a rock solid 30 fps with great picture quality. A few small drops in two of the bigger settlements but it's hardly a big deal. Also a severe lack of Bethesda jank.

I think if you stick to the quests and ignore the randomly generated planets (when you get bored of them) then it'll be a good game It's a shame about the loading screens etc etc etc. But, it's got the epic music going on ... so that makes up for all that 👍

But, I think, to me, the environments are cold and hostile, so it's not the kind of place I'd want to spend days and days in. Think I'll blast though the main game and do a side quest or 2 while I still have GamePass and then buy the 60 FPS version for a tenner in a few years time. 😁👌

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It absolutely does not sound like my type of game from reading a few reviews and listening to the Nextlander podcast y'day (the word 'flat' was mentioned quite a few times), but credit where credit is due: Bethesda does finally seem to have made a polished, largely bug-free console game that hits its performance target (30 FPS though it might be) very consistently. Which is quite the bar for this particular studio to clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Had intended to just play an hour at launch but it wasn't accessible until 1:30am, and then that hour suddenly turned in to 3 without warning 😂Tough day in work ahead but I can't wait to get stuck back in later

Metro's first impressions of the game and they have a few complaints. Also share their thoughts on copies being withheld, saying that Bethesda's Kotaku excuse makes no sense considering who they targetted and the real reason is that from the first impressions, it's not that great a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

All the reviews I've seen have said that the first few hours are not great and it's more scene setting and tutorial and the game doesn't really kick off and it's theme become clear until you a reach a certain point/mission. Not sure which one but it's about 12-15 hours in.

So I think it's unfair to be releasing a review /impressions of the game at such an early stage.

It does look like they baked stuff onto their main game engine... to make it seem like it's more than it is. The quests might be cohesive, but space and planet exploration are hacked on as filler. Meanwhile on the Switch you can dive from the upper atmosphere to the depths seamlessly in TOTK, with no loading screens and complete player control.

Starfield will live or die based on what modders can do with the game engine.

It’s not a review - it’s clearly labelled as a ‘first impressions’ piece rather than a definitive review. Very standard practice in games media - indeed, many games have early embargoes allowing for early impressions of a game’s opening hours / preview build (this happened with Armoured Core just a few weeks ago). And given Microsoft is charging for early access, ‘the first few hours are shite’ is a valuable opinion to have out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Only played an hour of this so far, but my main takeaway so far, is how loading screens really undercut the potential majesty/awe of space travel. Perhaps if NMS never existed I wouldn’t be so underwhelmed by it all.

Advertisement