Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Eurogamer and metro are going to give it an absolute kicking as a reprisal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

It seems to stick more rigidly to the Bethesda formula than I was expecting based on what I’ve read, to the point where it can feel like an old game with a new coat of paint.

Definitely wasn’t expecting it to be dominated by fast travel, even combat being entirely separate to travel seems a bit off.

I haven’t heard what the story is with the 1000 planets, do you have to go and find them or are they just there to fast travel to?

The big draw of having a game set in space for me would be the exploration and it’s disappointing to see it miss the mark by a fairly wide margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

"Their actions immediately birthed a host of conspiracy theories but, as ever, the simplest explanation was the correct one: they were trying to hide the fact that the game’s not very good."

That reads like a review to me and a bitter one at that.

They gave their first impressions which is obviously not going to change drastically. Fairness could have been guarunteed by giving them review code like hundreds of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Funny you talking about fairness after all the negative drivel you posted here.

Bethesda, and any publisher, are entitled to give review codes to whoever they like.

• Advertisement

I'm enjoying it. So far it's more like a fallout game than skyrim. Graphics are good and haven't had any issues yet.

Of course but why would they be selective? To deceive the consumer basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Sure, I guess they may be entitled to withhold copies from respected reviewers who they believe may be critical and to hand pick who gets access to review the game in order to manipulate metacritic scores and deceive consumers, but that doesn't make it right in any way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That would say more about Eurogamer and Metro than it would about Bethesda.

I doubt they'll let it impact their reviews though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I've only had the chance to play a couple of hours, enjoyed what I have seen so far. Looking forward to getting back to it over the weekend!

Some people were anticipating a Cyberpunk style launch with it being a janky unplayable mess on release. That hasn't transpired from the feedback I've read so far. It's much more polished than previous Bethesda games on release, which is the least I would have expected given the launch delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

By most accounts/reviews, the game gets better once you've unlocked/upgraded different skills, and even finished the main story. A lot of reviews have said that's really when the game opens up, you have a lot of freedom and can really play the game however you want.

So yes, opinions can and have changed after first impressions. But as ever, your mileage may vary, and it's subjective.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I'm enjoying it, so far.

The map is terrible though (The one when you're on land), it may aswell not exist, gives no info. Also, really feel exploration has been kicked to the side. When I was in my ship and told to go to another planet you fast travel, was flying to the planet for about a min before I realised I wasn't even getting any closer.

When I get to a planet I can properly explore I hope you stumble across places. New Atlantis seemed to pop up all the landmark and I just went to them, maybe it's just different as it's a city.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally, out of everything I've seen in reviews and discussions of the game thus far, it's the repeated suggestions it takes that long to properly 'open up' that have really stood out as a red flag for me. Tom Warren suggested it only really picked up in NG+ for him. Just have increasingly little time or patience for games that take that long to take the training wheels off. Nothing against a game gradually opening up and expanding in scope, of course, but it's not what I want to hear about a narrative-heavy single-player RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I wonder by next Wednesday will the general consensus be to get through the story and then things open up etc, as some people are alluding to and the rest becomes more enjoyable?

Something interesting I found and why you should be wary of video game journalism.

Cyberpunk opened to a 91 metascore and it took a few days before the actual reality started to filter around from streamers and youtubers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod warning: Okay, enough is enough - @TheAnalyst_ you're now just trolling so don't post in the thread again unless you have something more substantial to add to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

First hour or so I was struggling a bit with the indoor movement was clanky and frame rate was a little bit jarring . Graphics didn't seem anything special & I wasn't gone on first round ship combat . Also loading screens are annoying . The first companions dialogue is absolutely hilarious . But does it know what personal space is ? It gets annoyingly close at times ? I also don't like way can't use health items when picking them up just can only pick them up into inventory . Anyways negatives out the way after 3 hours now I absolutely love the game . Combat is nice and punchy and addictive , story cool , planets are cool, music is atmospheric and I'm addicted to the game play loop . Early suggestions to me prob will project as a 9/10 game to me . Love it so far over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It's Fallout 5 in space not Elite Dangerous. The space setting is just the theme and not a fleshed out mechanic. TBH I prefer it that way as if it was also trying to be a space sim you'd get easily overwhelmed and then bored at the amount of time and effort it took simply to move from A-B for a mission.

PC performance is ok. Not stellar ('scuse the pun) but not the worst either based on the visual quality, Immortals of Aveum for example is runs slower while looking like a decent last-gen title.

Would you not enjoy using your spaceship to travel around a planet and go from city to city? And then head into space to intitiate inter planetary travel?

Fun video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y3CHpJLqgY

Post edited by TheAnalyst_ on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Davy05

Has crashed 3 times for me so far on Xbox.. haven't been able to make it past the character creation yet! So much for the great stability reviews ha. Gonna try reinstall it and see if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Honestly, no. I've seen that on ED and while it's fun and interesting initially it gets old fast. The game would be impressive but ultimately too big, slow and the core diluted too far to be enjoyable as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

From reviews it does look like they have launched a reasonably stable game. Good on them and about time.

I'd imagine the injection of MS cash bought the time to polish the game. I wonder if MS had not bought them would they have got the extra development time, either way this is good for the consumer.

As for the game itself I think letting the dust settle and see how people are finding the game after a bit of time is a good idea.

From what I've read it sticks to the Bethesda formula, that will please fans of that formula no doubt. I like Bethesda RPGs so I reckon ill like it enough.

I'll be playing the game for sure anyway, I'll get gamepass for a month or two and see how it goes.

If I like it I'll pick it up down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Isn't everyone missing the point with reviews here? Until there is a substantial modbase it'll be unplayable anyway 😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I mean people say that about all Bethesda games. As someone who's put thousands of hours into the various Fallout games, I've not really touched mods. I'm sure they add worthwhile features but the games work perfectly fine without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

At least they will have played it, unlike you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There are probably people less cautious about buying a house...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah reading reviews and sizing up weather you think the game is for you is for suckers I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Right, so I'm 10 hours in, which is still tiny.

Advice: do the first 3 - 4 main game missions first to really open up the world. Then off ya go your own adventure.

I didn't get that wow factor I first got with Skyrim and Fallout 3.

Graphics are fine, but not superb.

Inventory is trash. -little or no explanation on things.

Lore seems lacking in parts.

Map and travel needs a redo

Space is more or less fast click fast travel

Seen very few bugs. One funny bug on Mars, where a ladder was walking around and falling over, floating up and walking again.

Loading screens are frequent but quick.

Dialogue is fine

Music and sound effects are fine

Cut scenes are fine

Combat is good

Exploring is good

Basically, not as good as Skyrim, but butter than Fallout 4.

It's a standard Bethsada game, which is fine for me.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Yeah that advice to do the first 3-4 missions is solid, it gives you an extra selection of companions and opens things up a bit. I see one guy on Reddit who skipped most of it and basically went straight to Neon where he is living out his breaking bad fantasies working in a drug lab 🤣 Meanwhile I'm still hanging around the planet New Atlantis is on exploring every random marker I can find.

It's one of those games I find myself thinking about even when I'm not playing it, early warning signs of a crack level Skyrim type addiction

Advertisement