Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-border review of rail network officially launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Economics101

bk:"According to the All Ireland Rail review, coaches/bus actually produce less greenhouse emissions then trains!"

Yes, if the trains are carrying only a few passengers. A few probably means something like 100 to 150 or less. On busy intercity and commuter routes where trainloads are 300 to 600 or more, the picture is likely to be very different.

As for freight, the savings in emissions are even greater, provided trainloads are reasonably high.

Of course lelctric traction, especially when based on wind and solar power, is in a different league altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

I was recently in Donegal. It is not even ribbon development there - it is a mega blitz of thousands - yes THOUSANDS - of one-off houses covering an enormous part of the county. How these people consistently demand a railway system every chance they get when the corrupt and insane planning there would not even make bus services possible is beyond me. Not only that the scenery is forever destroyed and country lanes packed with cars.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Yes, if the trains are carrying only a few passengers. A few probably means something like 100 to 150 or less. On busy intercity and commuter routes where trainloads are 300 to 600 or more, the picture is likely to be very different."

No, according to the report, it is across the board. Think about it, coaches are typically modern, strict Euro 5 engines, while much of our rail fleet is older trains that far pre date such emission standards.

Having said that, I wasn't really talking about busy intercity trains and definitely not commuter rail, even if they aren't officially the most efficient, if they are carrying a trainload of 600 people, I'd overlook those strict figures.

I was more talking about rural rail lines like the WRC. There is nothing environmentally friendly about old Diesel trains carrying mostly empty air.

Of course then we can look at the possibility of electrifying/decarbonising the train. But then you can also do the same with the coach.

Again I'm mostly talking about rural rail. I think commuter, etc. is a whole different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its bad alright, but per the CSO the highest % of rural dwelling compared to urban is Mayo, co. Galway (excludes city), and Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

The WRC (Athenry to Claremorris) is one small section of railway that would connect several disjointed lines and provide greater choice of public transport for people in the West. It would allow local link buses to feed passengers into rail, especially as more local link routes are launched and the services become more frequent.

No one is suggesting we build enough rail lines in the West to bring rail to every last little village. It's ONE tiny 55km section of railway. Some people here have their pants in a twist over the WRC and it's just ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Go ahead and build it, by all means.....once the main Galway-Dublin line has been double tracked, otherwise its only going to make a bad service, worse

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Thankfully in the meantime, the Oranmore passing loop will allow a doubling of capacity on the Galway-Athenry section. More likely a tripling of capacity (1 train per direction every 20 minutes) versus current usage which is 1 train, or less, per direction per hour.

Plenty of scope there to increase capacity without immediate double tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Donegal is bad for one offs but so is Galway-drive out the coast from the city and it’s wall to wall linear one offs

Therein lies the ambition of the WRC faithful, full of half measures 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

Firstly, I'll address the argument that buses are greener.

I knew already that buses emit less greenhouse gases than trains do. There are advantages that trains sometimes have over buses though, even when they're carrying an amount of people that would theoretically fit on a bus. Some train services are faster and/or more scenic than the bus alternative, to give two examples. So I'd argue that it's sometimes worth paying the additional cost of operating a railway because of these advantages. With that said, I do not think that railways should be built parallel to every bus route everywhere. However, I think that operational railways should remain in operation if the amount of people using it (or the potential amount) is high enough that it would be less 'green' for all the people using it to be travelling by car instead.

There's also the possibility that some people would be encouraged out of their cars by a train but not by a bus. A study on upgrading the Limerick Junction to Waterford railway concluded that the upgrade, if implemented, would mean more passengers on the train, some of whom would have been previously travelling by car.

People might accuse me of being a hypocrite for calling the climate crisis an emergency and then saying that railways should be kept open as long as they're greener than cars, even if a bus replacement would be even greener, but I do not accept claims that this makes me inconsistent. I think that society should be greener, but I don't think it has to be as green as possible (that would require completely banning things like toys and movies that people technically don't need to survive).

So some railways might not be as green as bus services that could replace them, but they are still greener than all their passengers travelling by car, and they still have advantages over bus services.

Next, I'll address the argument that money would be better spent on something else (most of this is actually what I've already said in my last post on this thread).

I accept that the investments that would do the most to help stop the climate crisis should be prioritised over investments that wouldn't do as much.

If a list was made of the most effective investments that the Irish government can make to help stop the climate crisis with current levels of funding, I wouldn't be surprised at all if, for example, upgrading the two branch lines in county Tipperary (the railways through Nenagh and Clonmel) didn't make the list of investments that could be made. However, I think that there should be a lot more funding to help stop the climate crisis, and with that increase in funding, a lot more investments could be made, increasing the chances of the branch lines in Tipperary getting upgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Some train services are faster and/or more scenic than the bus alternative, to give two examples."

Ironically trains are mostly slower in rural Ireland. Take the WRC, the intercity coach is one hour faster between Limerick and Galway!

The intercity coaches between Dublin and Belfast/Galway/Limerick/Cork are all about the same or again in some cases faster then the train!

"There's also the possibility that some people would be encouraged out of their cars by a train but not by a bus."

The reverse is also true, an €80 train ticket maybe less attractive to someone in a car, but a €20 coach ticket is much more attractive.

Frankly the direct intercity coach services using the motorways has been the best thing that happened to intercity travel on the motorways in the past 50 years. And they are wildly popular. As fast as the train, comfortable and much cheaper.

Again I'm not saying we shouldn't invest in rail. Just that there are many routes that are actually better served by buses and coaches in rural Ireland and bus and rail should be working closely together to improve services in rural Ireland. The likes of local link buses feeding folks from one off houses into towns with rail services, etc.

The likes of local link buses feeding folks from one off houses into towns with rail services, etc

That is a great goal and one I'd love to see happening however it will not because of the lack of ambition in relation to rail. Simply put, reopening single lines will not allow for a service of a high enough frequency to enable joined up services. It should be a bare minimum to make any new openings, dual track

Anything less is only opening a shite service for the sake of having a shite service

Personally I prefer to aim higher and demand better.

I know that some rural railways offer slower journeys than the closest bus alternative (such as Limerick-Galway). I can read timetables!

I also said SOME train services are faster than the bus alternative, so I was acknowledging this isn't always the case.

The train services that are currently slower than their closest bus alternative can be upgraded, to become faster than the bus, so that they have an advantage and can attract passengers who the bus is too slow for. For the record, there are some rural railways in Ireland that already provide a faster service than the bus alternative. For example, it's quicker to get the train from Dublin to Roscrea or from Dublin to Nenagh than it is to get the bus, even though both towns are connected to Dublin by motorway.

I never said that everyone who would use a bus would also use a train. Of course the bus works for some people who wouldn't take a train, and vice versa. So they should co exist on plenty of routes.

Post edited by ohographite on

Of course you can make trains faster at the cost of billions, but is that really justifiable for the relatively low usage rural lines?

Would it not make more sense to spend a fraction of that money on just subsidising really good, frequent local link bus services, which then can feed into the larger towns which have rail lines?

“Anything less is only opening a shite service for the sake of having a shite service

Personally I prefer to aim higher and demand better.”

Yep, that is exactly how I feel. We pissed away €100 million on a poor quality WRC, when we could instead have spent that money on the Galway and Limerick commuter network, for instance spent it double tracking the Galway line.

Focus on fixing the existing core network, double track it all, decarbonise it, more frequent and yes faster services on the existing network.

I have no problem if rural lines aren't upgraded to the standard that, for instance, Dublin to Cork has, but I really don't think that any more lines should be closed. Instead, I think the lines for which demand is relatively low should get modest speed improvements so that they are significantly faster than their bus alternatives.

For example, if the train journey time from Ennis to Galway was modestly reduced by 15 minutes, from 1 hrs 15 mins to 1 hour, the train would be faster than the bus from Ennis to Galway by 20 minutes. To give another example, modestly reducing the journey time from Dublin to Wexford from 2 hrs 35 mins to 2 hours would also beat the bus alternative by 20 minutes. Those are the journey time reductions I think rural railways should get, rather than bringing them up to the standard of the Dublin to Cork railway. All the rural railways in Ireland have bus alternatives, but I think they should be made faster than their bus alternatives so that they have a time advantage, which along with the advantage of being more scenic, would be enough (in my opinion) to make them worth keeping open.

There are also improvements that could be made to the intercity mainline railways in Ireland that would arguably also improve rural railways, too.

For example, upgrading Dublin to Cork to 200km/h would not just reduce journey times from Dublin to Cork and Limerick, but also from Dublin to towns like Tralee, Nenagh and Clonmel which are all on rural railways which connect to the Dublin to Cork railway (so to get from Dublin to these places by train you usually have to make use of part of the Dublin to Cork railway). Also, if Dublin to Galway was double tracked, it wouldn't just allow an increase in frequency and reliability of Dublin to Galway trains, but also an increase in frequency and reliability of Limerick to Galway trains and Dublin to Westport trains, both of which use parts of the Dublin to Galway line.

The problem is, when it comes to rail, there is no such thing as “modest speed improvements”, speed improvements can only be achieved by upgrading tracks, rebuilding track beds, removing junctions, upgrading signalling and in some cases full track realignments. We are talking €100’s of millions in many cases.

Take your Ennis to Galway example, the WRC is a terrible alignment with many speed restrictions and issues. Many of us were blue in the face telling WRC fans that is was a bad idea to spend “just” €100 million reopening such a poor route.

And now that everyone sees it carrying air, we have folks back now talking about “modest speed improvements” which I’ve no doubt will cost 10’s of millions if not more!

And why? Who is commuting from Ennis to Galway! Ennis is big enough that we should be encouraging people to work in Ennis and if they do want to commute to a city then surely Limerick makes more sense.

Even if you take 20 minutes of the train, that would be about the same as driving. A direct coach from Ennis to Galway would do the same trip in the same time and at a fraction of the cost of fixing the WRC.

The fact that there isn’t already a direct coach service between Ennis and Galway and instead just a slower stopping service shows you just how little demand there is for that route.

It is all a perfect example of exactly why it doesn’t work.

"There is no such thing as modest speed improvements" is not a factual statement. Reducing the journey time from Ennis to Galway by 20 minutes is definitely more modest though than reducing it by 40 or 50 minutes, as it would almost certainly cost less to reduce it by 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

We have spent 1000s of millions on tarmac that isn't used up and down the country.

And Ennis/Galway isn't carrying air, it has better/comparable ridership to some stations on Cork and Dublin commuter lines!

"And why? Who is commuting from Ennis to Galway! Ennis is big enough that we should be encouraging people to work in Ennis and if they do want to commute to a city then surely Limerick makes more sense."

The average rent is double in Limerick city vs. Ennis. Developing stronger towns and giving folk the option to save money for a deposit in a well developed connection to a commuter town is in fact a good thing, and whilst we have a massive slow down in house building building good infrastructure to areas where land is cheaper to build on is a good thing. Its how we make a start on righting the ribbon development wrongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Thinking that Ennis a town of around 25k, is big enough that noone need to commute to the cities is incredibly naive.

All over Europe and indeed the world people commute from ennis sized and much larger towns to the cities for work. Why would you think ireland be any different?

• Advertisement

“All over Europe and indeed the world people commute from ennis sized and much larger towns to the cities for work. Why would you think ireland be any different?”

But they can commute perfectly fine to Limerick city! Could do for years before the crappy WRC was opened.

If they want to go to Galway, fine, they can do that too, it makes less sense as it is a smaller city then Limerick and further away. But they can drive to Galway in less than an hour and there is already existing bus and yes train service to Galway.

The point is Limerick is the natural commuting city of Ennis, not Galway.

“"There is no such thing as modest speed improvements" is not a factual statement. Reducing the journey time from Ennis to Galway by 20 minutes is definitely more modest though than reducing it by 40 or 50 minutes, as it would almost certainly cost less to reduce it by 20 minutes.”

What you said here means nothing, give me details of what works would need to happen to reduce the journey time by 20 minutes and how much would it cost?

will it pass a cost benefit analysis?

If such an upgrade was so “modest” to do, why wasn’t it done when the WRC was opened just 13 years ago?

“The average rent is double in Limerick city vs. Ennis”

Sure, which why commuting from Ennis to Limerick makes sense and existed even before the WRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Again Ennis is almost twice as far from Galway city as it is from the much bigger Limerick city!

If you are going to spend even more money on this line, wouldn’t it make far more sense to spend it on the Ennis to Limerick stretch of the track?

You know, given that is the commute most people are doing. If you could knock 10 minutes off that section, then you could run an hourly shuttle service between Ennis and Limerick. Like the Commuter services in Cork.

Likewise, spend it double tracking Athenry to Galway.

Those type of enhancements would actually help improve commuting into our cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭serfboard

Drive on the M18 from Limerick to Galway and you'll see the traffic drop off dramatically after Junction 12. And that's not just me thinking that - the traffic counts are 27.5K just before J12 and 14K after J15.

Anyone in Ennis who would benefit from the train to Galway (i.e. those working only in the city), can, if they have car, drive to Oranmore station, park there and be in the city centre in 6 minutes. If you don't have a car, the bus takes an hour and twenty minutes. The same time as the train. Plus the bus stops at ATU.

And for people who work in Ballybrit/Parkmore/Mervue (biggest concentration of employment in Galway), neither bus nor train will take you there directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Surely a passing loop between Ennis and Gort and the removal 2 or 3 strategic junctions along the route would be reasonable cheap and allow a sufficient speed improvement to reduce journey times by 10-20minutes.

The WRC has low ridership as it is slow, infrequent and can't compete with bus/car. It shouldn't be assumed that demand isn't there. Small improvements can alter that balance.

“The WRC has low ridership as it is slow, infrequent and can't compete with bus/car. It shouldn't be assumed that demand isn't there. Small improvements can alter that balance.”

Thus is what pisses me off about all this.

We were told by WRC supporters that spend just €106 million on it, not too much and people would have a service. I and others were blue in the face from telling them that no one would use it as it would be too slow.

Well it opened and surprise pikachu, no one uses it.

Now they are back saying we should spend large amounts of more money fixing their mistake in the first place.

And let me tell you, even if we spend the money to take the 20 minutes, it will barely change how many people use it, as most people in Ennis are commuting to Limerick, not Galway and even if going to Galway the car would still be faster to most locations in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

> Well it opened and surprise pikachu, no one uses it.

How many times do you need to be told that people do use it? You're willing WRC into being a complete failure that should be closed when the numbers simply do not support it? This is just pure bitterness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

People commute for all kinds of reasons- inertia, salary and career expectations, relationships, family etc.

Most people I know that commute to Dublin from Kilkenny and surrounds do so because they simply have a better job or quality of one they can’t get closer to home. It’s not as bad now as most professional jobs offer some degree of flexibility and home working.

Advertisement