Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

2 goals from cash... unexpected but will take it. Very good goal too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Half time. Main hope for the second half, apart from seeing out the win obviously, is to avoid any injuries.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

One back for Burnley, game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

digne and Torres terrible there

Shocking defending all round there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Has Diaby got a touch yet?

Ill post that everytime we need a goal so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Haha, good one LeBash. Really enjoying watching Diaby myself. Obviously that goal was nice as was his goal vs Newcastle. His assist for Cash's 2nd was very nice but just in general I feel like something could happen with him far more than players gone by

• Advertisement

McGinn has been excellent again.

How Watkins didn't get that in after Diaby's cross. Guess you could give credit to the keeper but I feel like if we weren't doing well people would start to worry about Ollie especially given the lack of actual CF alternatives.

Curious will we see a Zaniolo appearance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hahaha, I think my brain decided cos it was Hibs it didn't count and he still needed a goal to get going!

Zaniolo for Diaby is a a safe sub but it'll be interesting to see how he does now....almost scored immediately, maybe should have gotten an assist via giving it to Watkins.

Speaking of Hibs. We don't have a massive squad after the injuries but should definitely use as much of it as possible vs them in the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

greedy

Nice win. Didnt see any of it, but any away win is a good win.

Van Dijk sent off for Liverpool (we play them next).

• Advertisement

Yeah, I have a feeling Hibs might be a bit rough in the tackles alright. Chuffed with the result today. Up to 6th. Liverpool without Van Dijk against us as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Similarities with last week especially in the first half in that were we that good in the first half or were they poor? What we are now seeing is a very disciplined, measured approach from Emery’s team, we are a long way away from ‘give it to Jack and see what he can do’.

I think big players can over shadow or shade entire squads. Built around them or reliant on moments of brilliance that doesn't always appear. Look at Spurs start to the season sans Kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Our squad now is very different quality levels to the one that Grealish left too though (albeit lacking depth and needing serious additions this week). Grealish was playing lots of minutes with the likes of Targett, Nakamba, Hourihane, El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Barkley, Traore, Elmohamady. Mostly guys who gave 100% in a Villa jersey and will remain popular but eh the level has dramatically shot up to the point where the weak links are now the likes of Bailey, Digne and Cash (bizarrely also probably our last 3 MOTMs).

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

Great Victory yesterday and well deserved. We rode out that dodgy spell at the start of the second half and were comfortable once the third goal wnet in.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Advertisement

I'm seeing us linked to Clement Lenglet, from Barca (former Spurs players). I don't remember his time being particularly good, but if we are going to be playing 3 at the back regularly, then I feel we need someone else there as back up.

I'm unclear if it's a loan or a purchase, but I feel a loan might be the best option to get us through the season without Mings.

I've seen mention of it being a loan and given Mings injury and the fact that we may play 3 at the back sometimes I would have no issue with his signing although I would be hoping he would not be a starter in our first 11 but instead a player who might get some time in European games where we rotate / rest starters.

Starting to think Digne may stay until January although I'd say Villa are one of the more likely to be opportunistic clubs in the next few days if someone decent becomes available in certain positions.

I think Digne will stay. He has hit form at the right time. Also, I think that's it's a bit late at this stage, because we need to both get someone in and have someone lined up to take Digne.

I would still like to see a RB, and someone in forward position. Emery might be seeing enough from Duran in training to feel he can cover Ollie if he's injured, but we haven't seen a whole lot from him just yet.

Greg Evans reckons Digne is staying. He's playing super and if he keeps it up, Moreno is going to struggle to get back in.

Clement Lenglet deal done apparently. Loan deal. Here we Go from Fabrizio anyway.

Hopefully we get one more attacking addition in but no strong links atm and still would not be surprised to see Coutinho leave even if it is after the UK deadline

Assume we’re all agreeing that pretty much nobody who is due to play Sunday should play tomorrow night? I mean I’m heading over to it, but still, not the slightest bit of point.

I agree. But in looking at depth i think we will end up play 1 or 2 out of Konsa/Torres/Carlos. The only alternatives we have are Chambers, Revan and Feeney.

I also think we may need need to play Kamara or Luiz, alongside Tielemans.

Up front we could do Bailey - Kellyman - Traore, with Duran.

I just dont think we have the depth to do a full second 11, unfortunately.

At 5 nil, we have the depth to do whatever we want really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Everton at home in the Carabao Cup not the worst draw we could have had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Would love to see Zaniolo start and get some good game time on Sunday. Looks like the sort of player who could run riot against a weak Liverpool defence.

• Advertisement

Alot of Luis to Liverpool talk floating around. Paper never refuses ink but why is it everywhere

Nothing new Dougie being linked to the top teams in the league. This time it may be Liverpool but I still don't think he is going anywhere. We aren't short on cash and wouldn't have time to get a proper replacement so I doubt Liverpool would stump up what would be needed to bend our arm.

Shows how good he has gotten though. Thinking of puting him in fantasy football team now that he is on pens too :D

Real Betis & Besiktas the latest teams linked to approaches for Coutinho now also

I would say the chances of Luiz leaving in this window are less than 0.001%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

No McGinn in the McGinn custody battle...

Does that mean Hibs won the custody battle?

I think they het visitation rights in the summer

Here we go again - Duran after 11 mins, nice strength too

2-0 now. Hoping for Konsa, Kamara and Luiz to be subbed at half time. Feeney, Dendonker and O'Reilly on hopefully.

• Advertisement

Olsen.... you have to laugh, 2 or 3 good if not great saves, them almost falls over ball from a simple back pass with a Hibs player chasing in (recovered just about)

Cash and McGinn in for Konsa and Kamara

Impressed with Duran tonight, I think this could be a breakthrough season for him. He offers something different from Watkins without having to change up the system.

3 - 0 up and Unai brings on Watkins and Carlos...😁

Watkins touch let's him down a lot of the time, there's something about him that just stops him being a great striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Im not so sure. I think he a mile off being good enough to replace Watkins. His ability to hold the ball up is pretty poor and he is very awkward. He took his goal well last night in fairness, and is a contsant anoynace to the CB's (mainly from being awkward and aggressive) but he has a long way to go to being a decent PL striker i think.

If anything happens to Watkins, our whole season falls apart. The way he can lead the line alone, is a huge part of the whole system, and it all collapses when he isnt available.

Who wold replace him if he gets injured?

Zaniolo maybe? By the way, where was he last night? He was the guy i was really looking forward to see playing last night.

Also, Kellyman is a quality player in the making. He made some basic mistakes last night, but the raw talent of a top player is plain to see in him.

• Advertisement

We need backup to Watkins, but Duran is on the right track.

I'd imagine Bertie, Zaniolo, Diaby and Bailey would play ahead of Duran up front in case of an injury to Watkins. There will be plenty of goals from midfield this year.

I was also impressed with Duran.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Zaniolo was cup tied, wasn't he?

I think Duran looked very good last night. Given that he is still only 19 and younger than Louie Barry, he is doing very well to be able to handle the physicality already. I agree that he is still far from the finished article but if he is given opportunities without too much pressure, he might be ready to start bigger games, if needed, towards the end of the season.

It’s easy to see why Emery kept him around over Archer anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement