Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Imagine it will have a significant impact, particularly with its protection level. Imagine thirty M1s might have more an influence that double the number of Leopard 1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 29,451 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So it was true he was the chef de maison after all...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

BAE Systems setting up properly in Ukraine; the first of many potentially?

While Russia's military industrial complex stalls and struggles to keep pace, Ukraine's allies are embedding themselves in the country's own. "Armies win battles. Logistics win wars" remains true today as it ever did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Amraam missiles for Ukraine - Probably for the F-16s. Can't load links this morning for some reason but it is being widely reported if you search for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Probably also for slotting into Ukraine's existing Buk SAM systems. AMRAAMs are a development of the AIM-7 Sparrow/Sea Sparrow missile family and use the same general interface port, so it should be possible to modify Buk to launch the AIM-120 as well. Ukraine has been using Sea Sparrows from their Buks, so there's some in-country experience in that regard.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Most likely this. Even if you are neutral in a conflict (and Belarus are not. They are really not neutral in this) you are still within your rights to stop a belligerent force if they enter your territory. I fully suspect the whole "Do not interfere" command from Luka is just to paper over the fact that they couldn't interfere if they wanted to (not without direct Russian support).

The Belarussian military is puny compared to what Russia have deployed to Ukraine, and are as badly equipped, if not worse. That's why I never take any suggestion of Belarus joining the conflit too seriously. At best they might be able to add a couple of companies-worth of troops to the fight on the Russian side, but that's about it. I don't count the Wagners there, since they are a bit headless now. The only advantage Russia would get is the veneer of this being an "International" effort....at least until Putin chooses to pull the mask of this "Union State" nonsense and declare a totally 100% legit referendum to make Belarus a Republic within the Russian Federation. For all the good it would do them...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Plus, given its likely the army are keeping in check what appears to be a fairly robust anti-Luka movement, committing troops to become fertiliser in Ukraine would have a more detrimental effect on Lukas grip on power than Putin with his army's losses.

Though were a revolution to happen, it's debatable Putin even now has the resources to "protect democracy" or whatever bullshít excuse he'd trot out for interfering. Belarus is probably in a very precarious situation, politically - while also serving as a demonstration of what Ukraine would look like under Moscow's control (a little detail overlooked by the tankies and Both Sides Wafflers).

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Can't they also be launched from Ukraine's NASAMS? Canada donated some sidewinders a few months ago, guess that went under the radar!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

does that stand up to the fact check? the whole point of cheap drones is that air defences werent designed for the drone era whereas their air defences would have had planes like the F16 in mind.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,742 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's what I was thinking. Bringing the was to Belarus would risk his very fragile dictatorship. Belarus is t like Russia where the loon in charge has sizable support. Luka seems fairly hated.

Luka was all talk about getting involved for the first 3 days of the 3 day invasion but hasn't said much in the past year of the 3 day invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Saw this this morning.

Vidar Helgesen, executive director of the Nobel Foundation, explained the decision to invite the countries back: "It is clear that the world is increasingly divided into spheres, where dialogue between those with differing views is being reduced.

"To counter this tendency, we are now broadening our invitations to celebrate and understand the Nobel Prize and the importance of free science, free culture and free, peaceful societies."

Swedish Liberal MEP Karin Karlsbro accused the Foundation of setting a "dangerous precedent" by "giving a green light to inviting Russia to a glamorous party while missiles fall over Ukrainian cultural centres and murder children."

Speaking to Swedish public radio, she called Russia, Belarus and Iran "rogue states" that "oppress their citizens, wage war and terror against their own people and neighbouring countries".

"They're countries that don't subscribe to democratic values in any way," she said. "There's a war in Europe. [They take] an incredibly naive position. It undermines the cohesion we need throughout society."

Would agree with that. Whether scientists like it or not, there's definitely camps or blocs here in Europe again.

Thinking they sit on a cloud of pure scientific enquiry, floating high above politics and war etc. where they can hob-nob with ambassadors of Russia, Belarus, and Iran during this war is deluded and extremely arrogant imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Had no idea that Sean Penn was in Ukraine filming a documentary when Russia invaded, the result looks like a really interesting watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Since talk is of Belarus.

A former member of Lukashenko's death squad is to go to court in Switzerland for his participation in the group. He claimed asylum in Switzerland and has claimed he witnessed three of Lukashenko's political rivals being executed by the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

He was making all sorts of threats when wager where camped near poland even sent helicopters over the border now he is quite as a mouse since prigozin's demise did he didnt go to the funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

🤦🤦🤦I even mentioned NASAMS in one of my posts last night and then wasn't able to make the connection when I saw Akabusi's post. I guess I need more coffee!

You're right of course, NASAMS uses the AIM-120 AMRAAM as its "engagement asset", so those missiles will likely be used there as well.

On a sidenote, given how widespread AMRAAM is these days, the available stockpiles must be massive, and even older models will be a major asset.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

I didn't realise he was vocal about that. I had assumed it was just Wagner acting the bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

ruSSia has no future. Not sure if any nation ever on this planet has been as dumb as ruSSians. "there is no better alternative" they say...lame sheep...never asked themselves a question "Why can't I see an alternative?"

• Advertisement

You'd have to speculate that if Putin croaks before Luka, Belarus will descend into chaos and a civil war; the regime only in power through the army + the knowledge any change would have Russia respond with troops in Minsk on "peace keeping" duties. That's if the Ukrainian war hasn't completely rendered Russia's expeditionary capacity as null and void.

Something will inevitably snap

They’ve spent a very very long time living somewhere that expression of dissent results in your card being marked. There was a brief period of something approaching normal democracy but I am always sceptical of those kinds of vox pops and surveys. They’re not taking place in a normal country with freedom to criticise the government.

You also get the diehards who’ll see the camera as an opportunity to profess loyalty and patriotism.

You saw it a lot in the past with the way the old communist authoritarian regimes just suddenly tumbled, without much warning. People clearly harboured very different views than they could express publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Polar101

That was a pretty depressing watch. You could pretty much guess what everyone was going to say, and the "I have no interest in politics" group was big. Apathy and brainwashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

"Changing the government doesn't guarantee that things will change for the better"

...but it will guarantee that they don't change. They are obviously happy with things as they are, none of them experienced any form of democracy, so there is really no hope for them. Stability. Cool guy. The best for Russia. Victory will be ours. Remember them whenever you feel the need to defend the regular russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Agreed, their support for Putin is only as strong as Putin's hold on power. If Putin is perceived as weak, or if his actions threaten to seriously deteriorate their quality of life, that support will disappear like snow in Summer. Just a few weeks ago a mutineer on his way to challenge Putin's authority was celebrated like a rockstar in Rostov, simply because he was briefly seen as a realistic alternative. 

There's not much point in assessing voting patterns like 1420 are doing there in a country with no experience of democracy and where no realistic democratic alternatives are offered.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Right now changing government would mean that the new guy can enact the lie that he and all the "good" Russian people were against "Putin's war".

Let's be honest if Russia offers up that "myth" exchange for ending the war and sanctions the vast majority will go along with this rehash of the "good German"

Except they would have to concede Crimea. That's a big one for them

I mean they're going to lose it anyway but still...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Which is the better route to getting Russia out of Crimea?

Have them negotiate their way out, then in X years a new guy in charge decides it was a bad deal and invades again.

Or have them militarily booted out with their tail between their legs such that Russia says please leave us alone now, we've left Crimea and don't want anything to do with it anymore.

Without a generation or two of new democratic change in Russia I don't see this actually being over even long after all the fighting is forgotten. Will be back again in another couple of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They don't need to storm crimea. Get it under fire control and the Himars will do the rest.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

If Ukraine make the coast at Melitopol does that put Kerch in the firing range or is it still too far ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement