Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No New Contract For Vera Pauw

Options

Comments

• "Executives in the FAI." Nuff said.

The process of "de-Delaneying" the FAI has some way to go yet I fear.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

She had a falling out with McCabe in the final match in the WC. The FAI pulled her contract before they’d even left for Australia. Your statement makes zero sense.

Is Katie McCabe psychic? Did she foresee the falling out in her crystal ball?

Yes, look at all the players, current and former, who came out with messages of support and thanks after her contract wasn’t renewed.

There is no way they all hated her :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

The power players like Katie mccabe hold over the younger and amateur players is crucial to all of this.

Who in the Irish squad will back pauw knowing she is a goner either way and they than have to deal with mccabe and her likes going forward

The women's game is very clique.

What about all the older, former players who won’t have any dealings with Katie etc going forward? Where is all their praise. They have absolutely zero to lose. The fact that not one player has commented speaks volumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's that type of shíthousing from senior players that get coaches sacked or contracts not renewed.

Pauw being Dutch and an elite coach she has absolutely no time for it. You can see it with ten Hag as well. On a personal level she probably far better off out of Irish football, because much like United over the past decade when you have non footballing people making the football decisions the results are inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Give Katie McCabe the job.....seems to have appointed herself anyway by undermining Pauw.

Straight onto Twitter after her spat with the manager - pathetic.

Cannot stand her - she has a big ego and needs to be taken down a peg or two.

Strange how that “got her sacked” when by toxic Vera’s own words, the FAI pulled her contract BEFORE the World Cup.

The FAI should be using their psychic abilities in a better way, I am first to admit that, but once they looked into their crystal ball back in April/May and seen the fallout in July, they were right to pull the contract.

Never said that one tweet got her sacked.

Do you think the captain of the international team should be putting up shíthousing tweets like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 IlovemybrickFC

I font personality like Pauw but who cares - she’s an effective manager who got us to the World Cup.

I can’t stand Stephen Kenny either but at least Vera gets a modicum of success!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

+1

Ireland was always about getting average players to play above their level.

Look at the mens team now......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Reminds of that time that Roy Keane confronted Patrick Vieira in the tunnel after Gary Neville had broken off his long term relationship with Roy, and Patrick was seen smooching Gary in a few bars around town.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

So far the “toxic” you keep referring to amounts to telling overweight professional athletes to lose weight so they can perform, dropping a 16 yr old and having field complaints from an overzealous dad (which is absolutely ridiculous considering we are talking about a senior international team, not the U17 parish team) and falling out with a player who thinks the team (possibly the world ala Roy Keane) revolves around her.

Again, I’m beginning to sense some misogyny from you, none of the above would be a factor for the men’s manager, but you seem to have an issue with a woman manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Pauw complained in her parting “shot” that she was undermined even coming up to the games and that FAI executives who were not involved in coaching, were over ruling her decisions- this had the impact of having her authority undermined.

If true, then she’s probably better rid of them - you can’t manage a team with that type of power play going on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s a huge let down and disappointment for most Irish fans that Vera Pauw - a proven successful manager - has been let go in such a shoddy, amateur hour way by the FAI.

This craic of the players “whispering” rumours back to the FAI is absolutely disgusting and unacceptable.

Vera proved her worth bringing a very average team to the WC for the first time ever - I don’t know what is going on behind the scenes but all I can say is people are disgusted by the way the FAI has treated her.

Where is common decency in all of this??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

If Vera is such an elite head coach, why is she slumming it with the Irish team?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I thought the same thing when Carlo Ancelotti took the Everton job. Pretty decent manager that buck.

Then I thought to myself, after long consideration, maybe managers take jobs that are available at the time. Crazy, I know.

Please tell me the FAI haven't been paying Vera £11.5m per year like Everton did with Ancelotti?! 😂 no wonder Vera was so desperate for that new contract.

At least the FAI will save a good bit of money now if that's the case!

Very few opportunities for women in international management in Europe. They are more or less exclusively tied to the womens game also they have share this spectrum with male coaches. Something male coaches don't have to worry about in the mens game.

A lot of bigger international teams rarely if ever hire foreign coaches.

This is more acute in Womens international soccer, where they rarely hire foreign coaches at all.

Out of the 50+ classed European international sides, less than a half dozen managers are foreign to the country they are managing.

But instead of throwing up a rather loaded question, why don't you give your opinion on her coaching ability and why you think she isn't an "elite head coach"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I've been reading about this all week - and as is often the case, despite all the coverage, its not at all clear why this decision was made. She has had clearcut, undeniable success as a manager. I havent seen anything amidst all the accusations that says 'she was way out of line here'. Maybe there was good reason, but I cant see it.

Whatever about that, I think its incontrovertible based on commentary on social media that Vera Pauw is very very popular with the Irish public, and that there is a lot of sympathy for her and a lot of people who would liked to her to have stayed on.

And before anyone states the obvious, yes some people are happy to see here go - within the general public - but they are unquestionaly a small-ish minority.

One thing that galls me a little is that when the team f**ked up and played the IRA song in the dressing room, and got hammered for it, she fronted up and spoke to the press and took a hit for the team; and now this happens. I know its just a little part of the overall story, but still, just annoys me.

I think the players have lost a lot of public goodwill here, and the PFAI coming out and saying 'nothing to do with us' just exacerbates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Didnt the whole team come out and support VP after that?

I cant keep up with the mind flipping of this shower.

I think they were just looking for someone else to blame for the terrible performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Imagine complaints about corner's and the first goal in a world cup finals Came from a corner

I never said she isn't an elite head coach. I know very little about her coaching ability. The take is this thread is that we've an elite head coach and a bunch of average players who will never achieve anything. It's just so rare in the sports world to see an elite head coach so happy and eager to put themselves in that position, unless they are getting a massive amount of money.

Maybe it's a form of philanthropy with Vera? Who knows. Also, it's interesting that during all the contract saga I didn't hear any rumours of another team coming in to try and entice her away from Ireland, even when the talks stalled. Im sure there were plenty interested though, but she just rebuffed them.

I'm sure she will be flooded with offers now though.

They say women are reluctant to report sexual crimes because they end up getting punished instead of the perpetrator

there was a definite takedown via media of Vera right at the start of the WC , it was affecting team preparations as unrelated questions were disrupting press conferences etc

who orchestrated this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lester_Burnham

The bottom line here was that Vera Pauw became a distraction.

Before the World Cup there was a rehash of all the allegations from her time in the US in the Athletic. She was interviewed for the article. That pissed the players off.

During a press conference at the world cup she referred to the lack of progress in her contract negotiations. Another distraction.

Katie McCabe is seen as the villain here by people who know nothing about football. There's nothing unusual about a captain suggesting changes to the manager during the game. What was unusual was that Pauw talked about it at length at the post match press conference. And misquoted McCabe.

When players like Denise O'Sullivan and Amber Barrett say there were a lot of distractions around the team people should take heed.

Vera made it all about herself.

Post edited by Lester_Burnham on

The article in The Atheltic just before the World Cup was certainly a well targeted hit piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

I don't know who orchestrated it but Kelly of the Indo and Cummiskey of the Times revelled in it. Mind you the same pair were also always looking for negative stories about the rugby team in the past.

Advertisement