Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Nice to know they've changed it, wasn't possible last year! In fairness it likely wouldn't bother most people just the few like me that are particular about tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What tyres are you wanting? Mine has the Continentals which I presume is what they'll be replaced with if needed.

They can keep their wipers as they're rubbish, I was happy to spend 40 blips getting the Aerotwins.

I'll be putting the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S on once my Care pack tyres are finished. The standard 4 isn't available on the 20" so I'll have to pay extra for the S. I had the PS4 on my Golf and they're fantastic tyres. Very good wet grip and good under heavy braking. Decent lifespan on them too so the higher cost isn't terrible value for money. Hopefully Cupra have some of the Bridgestone or Goodyear for 20" as I hear those are better.

The Continental don't have very good wet or dry grip, they also seem to lose grip when it's under 7-8C which is a first for me. On the plus side they haven't worn out at 8,000km like a lot of people have said, but for a heavy car I'd want something a bit better if I'm ever in a heavy braking scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Thanks. I checked my VIN, I have 4 outstanding items:

1. W-Goodyear tyres - 44T6
    2. W-Bonnet striker pin - 55N4
    3. S-Replace battery module - 93Q2
    4. S-Flash action BORN ME 3.2.1 - 93S2

Better get on it. By the way, can you go to any Cupra dealer?

As in software version 3.5? The service recall I just looked up suggests an update to 3.2.1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I only had the last 2 you have there.

Not sure about any dealer, I assume so. I bought in my local dealer anyway wouldn't make sense for me to go to another

Yes, new build cars are coming with 3.5 - it'll be an OTA update to 3.2.1 cars.

Great thanks. Booked in for the recall checks/inspections. Will update here when I've something to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Hi to all

have an issue with the Vinyl wrap on the passenger door cill, basically it's lifting and causing a bubble effect..Looks nasty and am afraid it's just going to get worse.

Any suggestions..Or do I pester the dealer.. The car is only 5 months old.

I'd be back to the dealer, if you let anyone else near it they'll wash their hands of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Ya..I expect best to go to dealer..

I was surprised it's only a wrap and not paint, looking under the car that whole side is lifting from the body. Looks like bad adhesion day 1.

The drivers side is fine.

Nobby had a review of a 77kWh eBoost up there yesterday, but since pulled by the looks of things.

Some things patently wrong with his review, the most obvious being that apparently it didn't have a reversing camera. All Borns have reversing cameras as standard. There were some software problems evident, so it mustn't have had the 3.2.1 upgrade so shame on Cupra press office to send out a car like that. Allegedly his car also was €60k while only having Aurora Blue and the copper Typhoon wheels as extras. Unless it had something else unseen, that would put it at just under 60k so grant qualifying - ergo subtract €3500 from that.

It also seemed to have manual cloth seats, pretty sure the eboost has electric seats as standard? Definitely not normal spec and shouldn't be reviewed as such.

Don't particularly agree with that review, part of the reason it's €60k is because it's 77kWh. Any long range car is going to be expensive. It painted the Born in a bad light. The standard model is well specced as standard, cheaper than an ID.3 and bigger than a similarly priced Kona. The Enyaq VRS didn't get much criticism and they're €75-80k.

While it's not much of a performance boost, the eboost should be compared to a Leon Cupra, both are similar base price of €57k. The 58kWh eboost is listed as just over €52k which is what most would go for.

It also seemed to have manual cloth seats, pretty sure the eboost has electric seats as standard? Definitely not normal spec and shouldn't be reviewed as such.

I don't particularly agree with that review, part of the reason it's €60k is because it's 77kWh. Any long range car is going to be expensive. It painted the Born in a bad light, it's the most expensive version of a car that people shouldn't buy. The standard model is well specced, cheaper than an ID.3 and bigger than a similarly priced Kona. The eboost isn't particularly good value for money although the Enyaq VRS didn't get much criticism and they're €75-80k.

The 58kWh eboost is listed as just over €52k which is what most would go for and is €5k less than the Cupra Leon 245hp. It's certainly not a hot hatch but it's significantly cheaper than the Leon Cupra, GTI etc. If you don't want the performance then the normal model is €45k.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Definitely, it was a shockingly bad review - far from his usual standards - so no wonder he pulled it. Regarding the seats, I'd imagine that it was a 5 seater 77kWh version which has the cloth seats - the Dinamica ones are not possible to spec on this version.

Looks like I'm getting an Arona as a courtesy car. I know it's only a few days but it's annoying to go to a smaller, lower segment car...

I was asked if I'm ok driving a manual car. Mine is in on week beginning mon 18th. I suppose they have nothing in their range to try tempt us into buying by loaning to us. We are unlikely to be going back to ICE and they have no other EVs.

Hateful little yokes... I got one as a loner when I was getting a car serviced, 1 litre petrol manual wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. You'll be glad to get your Born back😊

In fairness the DSG makes the small engine cars fairly nimble for what they are. Going back to my Golf wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting after hearing all the stories of ID.3 owners getting a T-Roc. Feels a bit heavy off the line and obviously no instant power at motorway speeds but otherwise it's fine.

I just can't stand crossovers!

Oh that would be better, the yoke they gave me was manual, I must have put 10K of wear on the clutch it felt like it was going to stall every time I took off🤬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

All this talk of replacement cars, is this because of the battery check and software update? How long are you being told it takes?

I checked in with my dealer just over a week ago and haven't heard back.

2 days for software update and module check, maybe a week if anything has to be ordered for the battery from the UK but they are not expecting it to need anything. My replacement car is allocated to me for a week anyway, but may not need it that long

I booked in off my own bar but my dealer actually sent me email yesterday about it, presumably to all purchasers

Anyone having issues with the app? It's asking me register and sign in every time I open it now.

Is there any way to stop the doors locking when I go over 20km/h?

My door mirrors have the little lights for the proximity sensor but they don't work, they're probably for a higher spec car, any way of activating them?

Have you the sensors on the side of the car on the wheel arches?

Have to say efficiency isn't great in rush hour traffic. I thought EVs shined in heavy traffic but my commute home is 14-15kWh whereas light traffic would be 12-13kWh. Car is precooled for departure which massively reduces climate impact on trip efficiency, but I suppose driving for 37 minutes as opposed to 22 minutes also has an impact with AC use.

Also, I don't know how people stomach rush hour traffic on short journeys. It takes me 35-40 minutes to cycle home, if I had to do 9-5 full time I'd hop back on the bike. Leaving the business park to sit in a 1km queue of traffic slowly rolling towards the roundabout. I'm 4 days in and already fed up haha.

Aircon, radio, computers, lights all running and not doing any distance will have that effect. Plus you are constantly moving from a standstill which takes more energy than moving with momentum. Its not too bad now, winter will be worse, I think heating cabin takes more energy than aircon, plus of course cooler outside temperatures.

I suppose another factor is the constant speed adjustments, driving to work in light traffic I get to sit at a constant 50/60kph whereas heavier traffic the speed goes up and down by a few kph regularly.

Unrelated note, the left side steering wheel buttons aren't working properly on me now. Heartbreaking as someone who uses adaptive cruise control religiously. I'll have to call them to add it to the list. Driver side mirror is also super creaky when opening so will have to get them to check it and maybe spray a lubricant or something just so it doesn't break down the line.

• Advertisement

I have the creaky mirror too. Thanks for reminding me, I'll say it to the dealer when it's in on the 18th

Advertisement