Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitch McConnel.exe has stopped working

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Trump just legitimised the Republicans being their true selves. Prior to 2016, they'd pretend to be better than they were because they felt they had to.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Plus there have been circulating rumours for a while about Putin's health, but nothing confirmed. Whereas we now have two clips in the space of about a month of McConnell publicly freezing, being filmed from multiple angles, right in front of the media.

If there was actual evidence of the leaders of China or Russia having significant health issues, there'd be discussion on that. But we don't have that. We do have evidence of it happening to McConnell, and now twice which signifies an on-going issue rather than a one-time thing. It absolutely warrants discussion given his position in American politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

No I believe of the seven it is mostly TDs.

O Cuív is 73, Durkan is 78 or 79, O"Dowd is 75 and O'Dea is 70 can't remember the others but Norris the only senator I can remember is 79.

The average age sort of shows one of the differences between how government functions between here and the States.

It's abundantly clear that something quite serious is impacting McConnell. Nobody has denied that, nor consider it acceptable for McConnell to continue in his role. McConnell should voluntarily step down. You're successfully attacking a straw man.

The comparison with Joe Biden fails because the office of President of the United States commands infinitely more significance. If even the slightest indication of cognitive decline is on show, then serious questions must be asked about their fitness for the office.

But as for McConnell, yes, he too should immediately step down.

And by the way, what a depraved thread title -- openly mocking someone who is clearly very unwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wow, and it only took you over 1 month to respond. I suppose reality can only be denied for so long.

It's about the same standard being applied.

But now that you're bothered about a disrespectful title here, can we expect similar about 'depraved' abuse of Democrat politicians? I've heard some of them described as a 'walking corpse' which is infinitely more depraved than .exe has stopped working.

I won't hold my breath.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

The man appears to have a form of dementia. Terrible illness🥲

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It’s not “infinitely more” the senate minority leader is all but in the line of succession don’t overwhisk your egg there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

McConnel can get fucked. He's been one of the politicians most responsible for the situation the US is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

All these old farts need their pipe and slippers, this McConnell lad, Biden, Trump, time for falling asleep in their armchairs of an afternoon.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Sad result of their generation being handed everything their dads fought for in the wars and pulling up the ladders behind themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If only it was that benign though. Unfortunately though there are several people in US politics who are pretty much the walking dead and not just needing a pipe and slippers for a wee nap lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wouldn't wish dementia on anyone, even Trump or Piers Corbyn, but this fact makes it impossible to sympathise with McConnell. He's been one of the leaders of the GOP's movement to strip the American state bare for themselves and their rich friends.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If you weren't such a partisan, you'd be well aware that the uniparty has been doing this for years. You're so caught up in petty tribalism that you honestly think that only the GOP is guilty. I'm sure it's just a coincidence though that many on the other side end up being millionaires too while "serving" America.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

"all but in the line of succession" meaning he's not in it anywhere whatsoever?

McConnell is incredibly powerful because he can and does block untold number of things coming to the Senate floor for a vote. But the line of succession is entirely irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You ask people to do this with the most obvious of things. When anyone does it though, you still deny the evidence, so why would I waste my time? People with your mindset are the perfect political fodder, as you earnestly buy into the simplistic binary of the good guys who do nothing wrong, and the bad guys who do everything wrong.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

As in Mitch McConnel vaults into the THIRD POSITION if so much as one independent or democratic senator loses their seat, drops dead or resigns (see: Diane Feinstein) or flips parties (see: Joe Manchin). The senate is split 50 GOP to 48 DNC and 2 independents. If GOP gain the majority of votes over the Vice Presidents swing vote he’s the majority leader again

So his health and well-being are still kind of a huge deal.

Post edited by Overheal on

why would I waste my time?

Nothing then. Okay. Waste your time to claim it but not to prove it. Dismissed with equal effort and evidence.

I agree with him. I've made the mistake of "proving" a given claim because, when I do, the evidence is casually thrown to one side with abandon.

That's not discussing in good faith, so you can forgive people for not bothering to begin with.

Can you show me an example from this thread, or is this off topic and does it belong in Feedback or something similarly petulant?

If it's not from this thread explain this notion of Good Faith you are working with, I wish to see that newsletter.

• Advertisement

The thing I sympathize with most and perhaps, solely, is that knowing fearful look of his own mortality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The majority leader is not third in line, the president pro tempore is.

I agree his health is of concern. I just don't think we need to bring in things that are completely irrelevant into play. His position as minority leader is sufficient to have concerns. Frankly, his position as senator would be sufficient as in the case of Feinstein.

No you haven't. Not once.

On occasion, you've given links which have debunked the very claim you were making suggesting that you don't read the links you paste here.

I think it's best we move on at this point. I'd ask for an example but none exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

No, you're right, I am in error, if they followed norms if the senate flipped, Grassley would be the PPT not McConnel.

And he's 8 years older than Mitch is.

😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

This has happened twice publicly within a month. It could have happened many more times privately.

“I have consulted with Leader McConnell and conferred with his neurology team,” Brian Monahan, the attending physician of Congress, said in a statement Thursday. “After evaluating yesterday’s incident, I have informed Leader McConnell that he is medically clear to continue with his schedule as planned.”

Monahan added: “Occasional lightheadedness is not uncommon in concussion recovery and can also be expected as a result of dehydration.” He referred to an incident in early March in which McConnell fell and suffered a concussion and a broken rib at a private dinner at a Washington hotel. The Kentucky Republican was absent from the Senate for nearly six weeks as he recovered from his injuries. He returned to the Senate in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

yeah the lady with him seemed relatively calm, so either she is a total sociopath or more likely its something she has had to deal with numerous times when the cameras are off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It was pretty telling with how they reacted, clearly briefed or trained on what to do when it happens again. That alone should be reason to get him out of the spotlight.

They acted like someone’s uncle and aunt bringing grandpa to the Christmas party tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭amandstu

They sure did.What choice do they (or anyone )have,though?

If his mind is sharp then maybe he can do the job(I think he is doing it badly in the first place )

It is squeamish to watch but perhaps for him not so much since he presumably knows what is happening whilst we do not.

I agree that the title of the thread is rather disrespectful(and that o'Connell too has been disrespectful over his career -even as we must allow that he at least acknowledged that the election result was fair unlike many others in his "party")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Precisely, and this is a person of considerable power. If he has to be walked around, he can probably be lead on his decisions as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Quite depressing to see the spectacle at work. Term limits should definitely be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wouldn't be buying his medical opinion based off it's happened twice in public in a short period of time and god only knows how many times in private,ah sure he's only dehydrated , he's fine to continue

The disadvantage with term limits is that it could potentially kick out of congress politicians who are still willing and able to go the job with a decent mandate from the public. I'm thinking of Bernie Sanders. Likewise with age limits. Saunders is the same age as McConnell.

I suppose normal people would realise their time is up but people like McConnell and Feinstein whose entire idea of self-worth is based on their power is never going to voluntarily give up that power. Senior figures in both parties need to tell them to go.

I see what you're saying but the trade off would be well worth it. There can't be a shortage of talent in a country like the US, which has a population of over 300 million people.

Rather than concern, I got some "I'm so sick of this ****" vibes from her reaction because this has probably happened many times in private. I doubt trying to chaperone an unhealthy geriatric through basic tasks is a turn she expected her career to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Or maybe she's just a professional.

On the face of it, it doesn't look good for McConnell, but conclusions shouldn't be jumped to too readily. Critics of Biden are only too ready to hop on him whenever he has anything like what could be described as a 'senior moment'. It can be crass and tactless and allows no benefit of the doubt. It probably shouldn't be validated by doing the same to those on the other side of the aisle.

If it is a case of McConnell experiencing one of the worse aspects of the aging process, he'll probably be gone soon enough, as there appears to be knives out for him within Trump's Republican party.

But at the same time if auntie Carrol walked up to POTUS and shouted did he understand the question all of our collective heads would fall of our face, the man has nuke codes after all

• Advertisement

Can we all agree that in a respectable universe both Biden and McConnell would be serving their final terms?

Surely that gets the famed bi-partisan consensus...

I'd go a step further, there should be upper age limit of at most 75 years where once you hit 75, you can finish your current term but can't run for election again. And for Supreme Court justices where there's no term limits, you're gone at 75 regardless (or better yet, bring in maximum terms for SC justices).

I personally don't like age limits for a similar reason as to why I dislike gender quotas.

I get the intention behind them but I don't like them. Bernie Sanders (as an example) has made a tremendous difference to American politics after his 75th birthday.

Take gender for example...look at the woman elected in global politics...they don't fight the status quo. They fight FOR the status quo. Will a Congress and/or Senate full of women make a drastic difference?

I'd personally lower the voting age but people say "Too young, no life experience, etc, etc..." as if us "sensible adults" haven't been voting against our own interests for decades.

With Supreme Court Justices, I do think there should be term limits. The details of those term limits (who decides, how long, etc) I'm open to discuss but yeah, anointment to deathbed...absolutely not.

While I mostly agree, a big part of the reason why the Dems keep fighting for the status quo is because of the older Dem ranking members like Pelosi and Schumer, as well as other empty chairs who are there for the paycheck/donations/status. I think there are plenty of younger members, male and female, who along with new members who could come in once the old guard are gotten rid of, who could not just carry on the work Sanders does, but with more of them they could actually get more of it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

McConnel is a great man. I wish him the best health possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I think they are afraid what or who's coming next, I thought the plan with Biden was eventually to stand aside for Harris, that doesn't seem to be happening at all , watching Biden in Florida yesterday shuffling rather than walking while trying to hide his hands

• Advertisement

I thought that's what the Democrats were doing with Harris - Biden a nice one-term 'steady Eddy' president to keep Sanders away (after Obama rang all the other candidates and told them to drop out) and then Harris runs next year.

The thing is, we know exactly what both parties are afraid of;

• Democrats - anything to the left of Republicans
    • Republicans - Trump

I think Biden would have been happy to step aside for Harris but he and the decision makers know she is very unpopular with the US general public and can't be trusted to beat whoever the GOP pick whether RDS, Haley or most likely Trump.

With the electoral college, Biden is their safest choice for 2024 oddly enough.

The biden team seen first hand how weak Harris was and they stupidly picked her to be VP, very poor long term thinking.

Think part of it was they hoped that over time Harris would improve in popularity. From what I gather she seems to gather less favourable sentiment than Dick Cheney in his second term. Also quite a few of her staffers seemed to quit which would suggest that it's unlikely that she will be topping the ticket in 2024. Think there are quite a few that wished they went with for instance Susan Rice.

If it's a rematch of 2020, Biden would be the reasonably smart play. If it is a more competent, younger GOP candidate then we might see the rumours of Newsom resuming...

I'd be shocked if its not a Biden/Trump rematch, I suppose we could get a black swan event for either,,,but both? 😯

Unless biden has heath issues he will be the nominee, and i don't think Newsom is any more of a sure thing when it comes to the EC college. Its possible that nationally he could have similar issues that RDS has had with connecting with those outside his bubble.

That's a fair point as regards the bubbles. Could see a DeSantis/Newson match up absolutely delighting certain, lets call them, enthusiastic members of their blocs and the more partisan elements of the press. While quite a large chunk of the electorate would be aghast.

Think a lot could change in the fourteen months. Still it would seem to be shaping towards as you point out a Biden/Trump match. We might at least have some new Congress/Senate leaders by then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement