Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Buffman

If you had an activated smart meter you'd be MCC16 or MCC12, MCC01 is 24hr standard and you should be able to signup to any plan. Saying that, some suppliers/staff seem to be making up their own random rules regarding smart meters.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

My contract is ending early october (BG OneBigSwitch 33% off).

Checked to view my current bill online - and was offered 38% 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Got back on to Energia and they’re still offering 15% after the announced new rates. Also still intimating that 20% discounts are available if you go through with jumping ship (which seems particularly stupid in a context where they’re waiting for competitors to respond to their price cut).

I’m going to sign up with a competitor. The extra 5% is worth €160 or so to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

just off the phone EL

was on

26%

ESB 32.02

standing 302.92

Gas 10.85

standing 190.65

loyalty of 8.5%

ESB

standing 302.92

Gas

standing 190.65

so i think i am following you but just to be clear

they are offering you a 15% discount now and the rates are due to drop next month as outlined already where up to 20% will be reduced from the unit rate so you will then get a lower rate followed by 15% discount

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

i am in exactly the same situation and with a max 10% discount, time to move for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Depending on how much suppliers drop prices by and what level the government credit comes in some could end up paying more for electricity over the next 12 months than they did for the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

What are people views on activating a smart meter? We use the national average for electricity, work from home and dont have an EV/Dryer etc. Wouldnt use much at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Are you saying you managed to get a 20% discount instead of the 15% they are offering online?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Not exactly. They are offering me a 15% discount on their standard rates for the duration of the contract.

When they lower their standard rates by 15-20% in October, I’d be getting a 15% discount on those lower standard rates.

However, I have determined (based on what the reps have intimated to me) that, if I sign up with another energy provider, Energia’s retention department is very likely to ring me to offer me a 20% discount on standard rates. When those standard rates are reduced in October, the 20% discount would apply to the new rates.

It’s stupid that they won’t just give me the 20% discounted rates when I ask for them. But they put those who have recently left Energia in a different category to those who are still with them (even if not in a contract).

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Are you a new BG customer or existing? If new could you post link to 38% offer.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Once activated you are stuck on smart plans forever so do the maths before doing so. Some suppliers activate it when you access data on their portal as well so only access data on the ESBN portal if you are.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Poster said they were renewing so they're an existing customer. You have to log in to your BG account to see the discounted rates being offered, i.e. it is not a public page etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

When will the rest of the lemmings follow I wonder???🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Here's one for ye:

I, like many, tried the BWG Flogas deal. Wasn't accepted, they rang me that because I have a smart meter I wasn't entitled to it. Asked if I wanted to go gas only, I said no - cancel both applications. She said she's put through the cancellation, I asked for it in writing and she emailed it on.

A couple of weeks later, as posted the other day, I accepted the 44% dual fuel offer from BG, my existing provider. Next thing I get a call this morning, three days before my contract expires - Flogas had somehow gone ahead with the gas application and I no longer am a BG customer for gas so I don't get my 44% electricity, and I'm being treated as a new customer for BG for gas.

Disaster, I'm absolutely furious. I'm bouncing over and back all day with FG and BG, FG all apologetic but I'm still out of pocket. BG operator, nice guy, has escalated it but they think there's nothing they can do until I get re-certified back to BG which could take 3-5 working days. They've offered me 39% electricity deal (Which I took because he couldn't guarantee that they would still be offering me that).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes and I get a 20% discount on them as part of my variable rate 1 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Crazy stuff, but it will be fine and all work out I'd say. Bottom line is that you should still be a BG gas customer and have proof of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Energia are still ripping us off, a 20% discount(only 15% for electricity customers) is derisory considering BG offering 40% to existing customers.

Post edited by kabakuyu on

I'm in the same position myself, tried to submit reading on my Energia account, was unable to do so as they said they do not need a reading 😯.I sent my reading directly to ESBN .

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/submit-a-meter-reading

20% discount and now 20% reduction in rates is a step in the right direction at least, i am with energia so i am glad they are reducing the unit price

the BG offering is only for retention of current customers nearing the end of their contract

not sure what you mean here, who are you calling lemmings ?

Are the standard rates, and standing charges, the same? 🤔🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

That depends on usage. I'm on the BGE 33% offer in October Energia will be €50 cheaper a year with my relatively low usage. The s/c for BGE is higher than Energia's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just had FloGas salesman at the door and I told him I was with them the past2 years and had switched to the community plan and heard nothing after the initial mail. So he phoned up to check what I was on and confirmed I'm on the community plan rate. I didn't notice it but it's showing up on the latest bill I got today with the rate applied for the last week of the period.

Thanks again for all the help!

My contract with them finished yesterday, I rang them, best deal available for me (D/n standard tariff, electricity only) was 45.12 day and 21.64c incl of VAT, this included the 15% discount (maximum 15% for electricity only customers).

The new rates released to day are exactly the same for me but there is no mention of a discount, do the new rate include the discount?looks like I will have to ring monday to find out.

Either way my bill increases , last year i was on a fixed rate of 30c day and 9c night.

• Advertisement

if you have a discount negotiated on a variable rate then the unit price drops as mentioned and then your discount is applied further down the bill

last year is over sadly and everyones bill is increasing

Advertisement