Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The government is hoovering up too much housing - the private working taxpayer is hurting

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It's true, there are a lot of variables. That's why the OECD uses replacement rates to compare individual benefits across countries. The Net pension replacement rate is the individual net pension entitlement divided by net pre-retirement earnings, taking into account personal income taxes and social security contributions paid by workers and pensioners.  Our rate is currently the 7th lowest in the OECD. It was the second lowest until relatively recently. Regarding the net unemployment replacement rates for single person without children earning the average wage we are joint 13th lowest. Again, we were a lot lower not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

But you still need to factor in the lived experiences of the population. That trumps OECD stats.

Also, I am focused specifically on social welfare spend here.

Someone unemployed and living in a free social house in Dublin is being gifted more money than the average fulltime employee earns.

Thats the lived reality. And its just plain wrong in my book.

Granted, a large part of our problem is that we dont have anywhere near enough social housing and so the govt is obviously paying private rents at top dollar to accomodare those welfare dependants. Whether that flags on the OECD spend figures, I dont know.

I guess my point is that from a social welfare perspective, what do people think is the equivalent salary value the govt should be providing to the unemployed, if they feel that 50k a yesr isnt enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The latest data I can find for this is from the ERSI - 94% of Irish people are better off in employment than out of work – even after taking account of childcare and travel to work costs. Of the remaining 6%, even though they would be “better off on the dole”, most are actually in work. We have full employment. The current long term unemployment rate is just 1.2%.

Appreciate the search and recall of the data, but sounds like govt data spinning what the govt wants the data to tell us.

I hadnt even factored in child care costs. I read recently thar unemployed folks can still claim childcare costs, even though they arent working....go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

They also get free childcare or very close to it.

While the people who need it to work get fleeced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

great , a HSE for house building

why not just burn a few billion in a big bonfire in the middle of Dublin and let us all dance around it

Yes. And Childcare is so expensive here.

The trend I have observed in Dublin is people working part time to keep their benefits and then qualifying for social housing, which is generally high end apartment living as the govt hoovers up any available new build development for social housing.

Then some of these folk do cash in hand work outside of the 17 hours a week, or whatever the number of hours is they offically do, in order to keep their free house and their benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

I was told by the GP because I work and have health insurance they can't put me on the books, but if I had no job and declare myself homeless on the paper, they can do it tomorrow because I'd get a medical card

Advertisement