Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Asa pool fan, in real time I did not think it was a free, after seeing all the replays VVD definitely catches the forward's foot first & as he was heading for a 1:1 then for me, it is the correct decision.

The ref made life tough for himself with the decision not to give a free for a push on TAA, it was as easy a decision as you will get; the result of this is a vociferous crowd are even more up for it, then the foul by TAA puts him in a difficult situation which he created himself; he should have booked TAA but probably knows he messed up the first decision.

What drives me mad about some of the refs and maybe they have not played much football; Joelinton could have had 6 bookings, the ref after about 3-4 of those late fouls has a chat with him - again impact of this is Joelinton knows he is onto a good thing and correctly continues to foul. If the ref books him after 2 poor fouls then he changes how he plays.

So many of the refs in the PL are not up to a standard to referee with 50,000+ fans in a stadium so it is easy to see why there are constant issues. The league would benefit greatly by introducing foreign refs as it would help the domestic refs to improve & remove the insular group mentality that seems to exist highlighted by Mike Dean's explanation of a decision he made on VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

It generally seems crazy to me that some players are almost immune from getting booked regardless of the circumstances.

Joelinton yesterday had the freedom of St James Park. Rodri is another one that seems to be able to foul with impunity.

No doubt they’re skilled enough at making the fouls innocuous enough most of the time but if they’re repeatedly giving away free kicks surely they should be getting booked for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

I watched Joelinton for a five minute spell. He left something on every opponent he faced. Sometimes innocuous enough like an arm on the shoulder but if he ever gets reffed properly he won’t last ten minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Strange take.

A solid defence has been their foundation.

They don't let it many goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Howe will be gone in the new year, certainly won't start next season IMHO.

He was a rabbit in the headlights on Sunday, all at sea. Had Liverpool on the ground and didn't know what to do, whether to stick or twist. I think he panicked then in the second half, Liverpool brought in 2 subs and he felt he had to do something, so he brought on 3 and they lost the rest of the game.

Seemed to me he got psyched out of it and made the changes just to make the changes, to be seen to do something, rather than acting in a rational manner as part of a plan.... Seemed panicked to me. He might learn from it but the higher they go the thinner the air will get, and I can see him struggling, and the Saud lads will be ruthless if they see him as a weakness (not their normal cut off his head ruthless, just sack him ruthless).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

That is the special sauce for City really.

They are masters of the dark arts. They simply don't allow teams the chance to catch them out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Aye sure they conceded against Sheffield United there and two mins later Rodri was smacking a worldie into their net to bring them back in front. They're just an unstoppable juggernaut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I mean it more in the sense if you put them into Newcastle's position at the weekend - 1-0 up. A man up. There's no way they allow Liverpool to build any kind of momentum.

They will slow the game to a snails pace. Retain possession for huge periods of time. Any time they do lose it and it looks in anyways dangerous they will foul and stop the game.

Eventually chances will open up as the chasing team trying to get back into it and they probably score 1, 2 3 etc.. more

That's really what makes them the point winning machine they are. It's very clever game management. Not easy to do and they are the masters of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ref made the wrong call to not send Trent off. But then he also made the wrong call by allowing Joelinton get away with so many fouls. Also, Gordon kicks the ball away after Trent wins a free and Trippier runs up to the ref demanding a yellow after Trent fouled Gordon but gets no booking. Either apply the rules, or don’t. When you have a red booking some players and ignoring other offences then you get what we got last Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

Yes but Sheffield United should have equalised after that too. A better team with better striker would have

Saudi in for Salah, £150m bid today but rejected. Saudi should never have been allowed to buy Newcastle, they actively trying to destabilise Liverpool, one of their main rivals for top 4. Fit and proper owners? What a joke the PL are…..between City’s cheating, and which UEFA found them guilty of, and Todd Bolely and Saudi they’ve made a joke of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

Ah I suppose we just be happy that it’s all going to s**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The tin foil hat stuff is gas tbf.

Saudis State owning a bottomless pit of money league and having a foot in the EPL at the same time is tinfoil hat stuff?

It's a major issue whether you think the Salah bid is motivated by it or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its hardly tin foil hat stuff, a club in the league is owned by a bottomless pit of money operating a league in another country. Its a massive conflict of interest that they can influence the shape of Newcastle's rivals. Why else bid for Liverpools best player a day before the window closes? They had 90 days to get him if they really wanted. Liverpool wouldn't of said no to a world record fee earlier this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Sounds like what Salah will be getting as a weekly wage

Why haven't they put in massive bids for Spurs, United’s, Arsenal's or Chelseas best players? They are all direct, top 4 rivals for NU.

But no, it's purely to destabilise Liverpool and Liverpool only.

Nothing to do with the fact that Saudi is a predominantly Muslim country and that Salah is an exceptional baller and by far the biggest Muslim public figure in the world of course. Its just to destabilise Liverpool.

Of course it's an issue but I wasn't commenting on that.

The day the window closes and the 10 days of potential bid incoming leaks as well tbf.

I'm less interested in their Salah motivation to be fair it does feel particularly coincidental the same weeks we are about to play or have just beaten Newcastle though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

For what is is worth the Premier League is the clubs so if Liverpool or Man Utd or Arsenal or other founding members have an issue with how the league is ran ans who can own a member club then they should have done something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I really don't see all them as direct top 4 rivals for Newcastle, Arsenal maybe.

Any anyway, who knows who Chelsea's best players are? Even Chelsea don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's obviously the reason for wanting him. The timing is the odd part. They've been throwing money around all over the shop for months, why wait till the very last minute to make a bid for the lad that obviously would have been at the very very top of their list day-one? Whether or not it's to destabilize the player is very debatable, but I do think there's some motivating factor for the circumstances of the bid.

Part of me wonders if they knew they weren't going to get him this summer regardless, that Mo and his agent had previously made it clear to them that it's too early in his career for this retirement move. This specific club is under big pressure at the moment by their own fans, who have been publicly complaining that they feel like, as champions, they've not matched the other big Saudi clubs ambition (they're the ones who bombed out Jota after a few weeks because he supposedly didn't have star quality) - so perhaps this is a bid that could show their fans, and the PIF higher ups, that the ambition and effort is there with a huge offer under circumstances where being turned down wasn't seen as rejection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Obviously they want him as he's the best Muslim player and one of the best in the world, but why not get it done in the previous 90 days they had? FSG would be ran out of town if Liverpool accepted such a late bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If offering 150m for a 31 year old is destabilising then I wish they would destabilise my club a bit.

I think the main point is the reason for the bid is all to do with Salah and nothing with Liverpool, it's serious paranoia from lads.

See some people saying they are trying to strip Liverpool of there assets but of course ye were more then happy to sell Henderson and fabinho given they were past it (although ye would have liked replacements sooner) if a past it fabinho had been sold by Chelsea for that much there wouldn't be a sheet of tinfoil left in some of the lads houses from the size of hat built.

As pointed out above why are they just going after Liverpool and not other top 5 rivals well simple answer is because they arent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Maybe Salah wasnt open to it then but now he has seen liverpool make a balls of signing a defensive midfielder and not sign any cover for defence he feels they dont have much chance of wining anything this season so coupled with the silly money on offer he is now open to it?

If they had done this last week it would have been to destabilize the club in the run up to the match against newcastle, they do it this week they get accused of the same.

Newcastle maybe dont even see liverpool as rivals, one is in the champions league with a huge budget and the other are europa league who penny pinch and have their 3 best players the wrong side of 30. Its mental to think thats the main motivator for this move.

Given how happy his agent has proven to be to jump into the media any chance he gets, the fact there's not been a peep from them says a lot. I daresay if he were to push to leave Liverpool right now, it's not Saudi he'd be going for. He's got that money waiting for him whenever he wants it, and for as long as he wants it.

(also, as i said, i don't think the move was particularly done to destabilise the player/club. I think there's probably another reason for such a late and unlikely-to-succeed attempt)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Of course you are right but it's a conflict all the same going forward, owning a club in the pl and four or five in a different league that are buying alot of players from the pl,this is only the start of it , when alot of the star's are gone from the pl it will affect clubs all the way down the league's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

It's bringing a ton of attention to their league,which I'm guessing is the objective,they know a bid won't be accepted so bid eye watering amount.

• Advertisement

Forget Liverpool in this discussion. The Saudi despot government having a team in the PL is a joke. Thankfully Eddie Howe is the manager, so they'll win sfa this season.

Ah ya of course there are definitely valid points and criticisms worth talking about and pointing out but the conspiracy stuff never adds anything to the conversation.

It's funny that the league is so worried about shirt sponsors or Newcastle owners when it was worried about tv rights and competition in that regard.

I guess it remains to be seen how they might effect things going forward, like if Saudi clubs are overpaying massively for aging stars, clubs might actually be quite happy with the cash boost.

Not everything done will be above board for sure but not everything done will be a conspiracy either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its the same as their posturing for Mbappe. Just flexing their muscles knowing theres very little chance of it working.

If there was a conspiracy to rob the EPL competition of its players to allow Newcastle an easier run then where were the bids for Haaland, Ederson, De Bruyne, Saka, Saliba, Odegaard, etc.

Bizarre to be making it a conspiracy to aid Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Because he's the most high profile and best Muslim player in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

was the luton non handball call a bad decision if anyone was watching?

Luton denied an absolute stonewall penalty at the end there.

Not given.

what happened this transfer? palhinha flying back to london

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Yeah, I think we have established that the whole handball thing is probably based on a coin flip 🤪🙃

Bless their hearts, Luton really try, there doesn't seem to be much creativity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

And they had a full summer to make a bid but waited until the last minute to do it.

Why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I will take it every day of the week but it's a penalty every day of the week.

prob moving around the funds.

i dunno, maybe at the start of the window salah had no intention, and as they have signed higher profile players his stance softened?

howard for all his talk needs to come out and clarify whats a handball, and whats not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The ref missed it in the initial bit of play and enough time went by that the VAR thought it would be too awkward for his mate Tierney to be looking at screens I'd say.

Why single of Liverpool out of all the clubs?

Surely if you looked at the situation a little bit logically whatever the reasoning it was to do with Salah and not Liverpool.

Moss better have all the managers on speed dial, a lot of apologizes to be made this season

Think it was cause Fulham couldn't get a replacement in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement