Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

He played in the first leg against Hibs so he can't have been cup tied.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Lenglet on loan confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sounds like that will be the full dealings today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Group E with Alkmaar, decent enough draw so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Legia Warsaw also in our group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Should be grand

Mostar is a nice wee spot too.

Netherlands has a major hooligan problem at the moment so not a good draw for the fans.

Other teams are Legia and Zrinjski Mostar.

Should qualify comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

I dont think we need to roll out a full first team for any of that and we should still expect to win.

Coutinho to Saudi look to be happening. They agreed personal terms a week ago and final details to be ironed out today. Report was by Fabricio Romano who is usually on the money.

Also said he didn't listen to offers from Betis or Besiktas.

Crazy they would chase an injured player, no chance he could pass a medical at the moment. Apparently almost 10 million a year old wages off the books if it happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Keinan Davis to Udinese (2m) is not one I saw coming.

Martinez trained with the lads today so should hopefully be able to pass his fitness test tomorrow to play against Liverpool

Big and strong and can hold up the ball but ultimately couldn't score goals which you need to do at Prem level.

Apparently Philogene might be staying. He might be needed to fill a seat.

I like that Emery doesn't do panic buys or punts. Not buying players for the sake of it.

To be honest, I assumed Philogene was gone already, but I'm guessing the agreement was worked out on the condition that we get someone else in (which we may not). Makes sense to me. Might as well keep Philogene, let him develop a little, and the move him on when we get the right person.

Philogene gone to hull.

No longer Villa related but El Ghazi had his contract terminated at PSV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

nice finish from archer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Everton are muck but did we let the wrong one go? Archer instrumental in the blades 2nd goal there

Yeah i assumed when we let him go that there would be someone else coming in. I really hope we dont regret letting him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I don't think Archer suits the style we currently play. He cannot really play up front on his own. He thrives off having a big man alongside him. McBurnie occupies defenders to make space for him. Last year it was Akpom at Boro. Ollie wouldn't have the same style as those. Maybe we need to look at getting someone in who would be a good foil for him, if he keeps this up. He's the most natural finisher we have produced that I can remember. I saw a stat earlier that Villa have already missed 6 big chances this season, and that is part of Ollies problem.

Duran still looks alot more promising than Archer to me. If Archer was gonna be successful in our team, Ings wouldn’t be at West Ham.

Best place for Archer. He will play plenty of games in the PL and if it works out, we can buy him back

He got 75 mins today. I dont think he got that much time in the first half of last season at Villa.

Yeah, he accumulated more Premier League minutes today than in his total time at Villa.

• Advertisement

That Liverpool lineup has mismatch one way or the other written all over it. Definitely thought they’d play Endo to protect their makeshift CB partnership and Trent, but Klopp clearly thinks he can beat our high line on the press. Maybe he’s right.

Ugh. Early goal is a killer.

Diego Carlos down injured, not good.

2-0, not good.

Third game in a row he's scored now.

• Advertisement

Time to go clear out the garage.

Watching Torres defend has not been fun.

Didn't see the Carlos injury, was it bad? Knee again?

I had a bad feeling about Digne + Torres being targetted by Salah + Nunez

It’s a complex conversation. On the face of things, it’s 2 defeats in places that nearly everyone loses. The manner of them a whole different thing, but that only matters if it continues.

Emery is culpable for trying to do the same things that worked with Moreno, Mings, Ramsey and Buendia with guys who either aren’t nearly as good enough, or aren’t ready within this system.

Having Moreno and Ramsey back after the initial break would go a long way towards bouncing back. Digne and Torres look like one thing when being part of starting our attacks. A whole different thing when asked to defend.

We were barely even at that game. Liverpool were class, they won every loose ball, defended well and everytime they broke they created something. McGinn needs to go back on the right because he's been poor on the left.

Tielemans bitchin' to Belgian media about lack of playing time. Never looks good when a playing is coming out with stuff like that. Keep it between you and the manager, put your head down, and you'll get a chance. You have to prove you are better than the players already there (Kamara and Luiz).

https://www.football365.com/news/aston-villa-tielemans-slams-not-pleasant-situation-emery-talks

Coutinho off to Saudi on loan. A pity it didn't work out for him, he looked electric at times during his loan with us.

Pity he got injured as well as he could have reestablished himself with Buendia out.

Zaniolo starting, Moreno back on the bench.

Looking forward to seeing this one, though Palace can be hard to predict. Some very decent players but also definitely beatable especially at Villa Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

At the risk of sounding obsessed I had a dream on Thursday night that Zaniolo started and scored.

• Advertisement

That was almost an ideal / typical Watkins goal.

A lot going down the right with Cash and potentially Diaby so far. So much possessions so far and now starting to look more dangerous.

McGinn with an early yellow but nice to see Eze also getting one for asking the ref to give it to McGinn

I like Zaniolo but I do feel he is always likely to take it himself instead of looking for someone in potentially a better position

Lovely pass by Torres, great first touch and finish by Diaby but...VAR

Shows what they can do though and how they occasional long ball can be a good tactic especially you have pace like that and a ball playing CB like Torres

Cash keeps getting chances too

Villa the better team but I'd say Palace will be pretty happy at half time.

the 2nd 25m saw a lot more of the ball going down the left with Digne and Zaniolo getting involved.

This is definitely a winnable game and it seems like one where Torres could be very important given the amount of the ball they are letting us have and play out from the back with.

If he is fit enough I wouldn't mind seeing Moreno come on with 20m to go. Could see Bailey (even if people might not want it) potentially coming on for Zaniolo too especially after that unneccesary yellow. Tielemans should have a point to prove if he gets on too! All that said I would not be expecting any unforced changes for at least 20m unless the score changes

Ahhh Jaysus, 1 slip and we are behind.

Going to be a big effort now to get this one back..

Poor by Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

We’ve really regressed this season but missing Mings, Buendia, Ramsey and Moreno has contributed to that a lot. Torres looks like he needed to be eased in but he’s been dropped right in it and exposed a few times.

A lot of work for Dougie now. Kamara & McGinn off for Duran and Tielemans

That said obviously have to go more attacking

Oh my!

Duran...that was special!

lots of injury time now to go for a winner

• Advertisement

What a goal!

Advertisement