Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I thought there the PD Blonde heifers there last night didn't go too dear, was tempted but car is out of action.

There didn't seem to be much go for the BB's it was the CH's that seemed to make the most in general

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

SAMPLE HEIFER PRICES 29/08/23: LM: 296KG €830, AA: 505KG €1280, 470KG €1100, 370KG €910, HE: 690KG €1650 590KG €1390 515KG €1260 400KG €920 NEXT SALE 05/09/23L

BULLOCK PRICES 29/08/23: FR 715KG €1630, 440KG €870 - AA 487KG €1230, 410KG €1030, 595KG €1400, HE 532KG €1330, 477KG €1140, 405KG €980. NEXT SALE 05/09/23

Text from Kanturk Mart

bought 4 store heifers 2 LMX and CHX Dec 22 R grade avg weight 400kgs cost 970 euro each thought heifers were a good bit back from the bullocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭50HX

Left off 2heifers today's one in spec by 20 days, the bbx 11 days over 30mnts

Chx 620kg 1740

Bbx 625kg 1620

Saw no meal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Carnaross mart late starting due to "technical difficulties" LSL not working. Clear sign that the "Online" auction is more important than the lads waving around the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

IMO if hanging within a hundred days you would need a price rise of 40c/ kg to make money out of them

The processors buy online as well now so if heavy cattle are sold early they need the online buyers.....tbh they need the OL buyers for about everything but dairy cows.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭High bike

1st weanling sale of the year in Kilmallock tonight Jesus it was on fire ,confidence is very high again for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

weanlings bulls very dear in balla today especially heavier calfs

Thought the same, Abbeyfeale was Saturday and they had way more cattle nearly 150 runners then 50 bulls and 40 heifers. The mart lad was bidding away on his phone while I was there but trade seemed good enough but nothing like kilmallock this evening its was on fire like you said

Delighted for the lads selling but my calculator is wondering what's going on.

Some value out there though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Skibbereen was very dear Friday too for the show n sale. Rakes of old lads that had cattle sold a month or 6 weeks ago over run with grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mf 265

Sold in balla today, ch 370kgs 1300,lmx bulls 440kgs 1480,435 kgs 1460, 460kgs 1510.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭kk.man

Somebody must know something we ordinarily folk don't.

A bit of grass, hot weather and prices stoped falling and lads get over come with fever.

Lads are laying 100-200 more than two weeks ago. This is why I think having the option to buy replacement's early is a great advantage. If the market is too strong you can sit it out for 3-4 weeks. However even if you do buy you are looking at up to 100 kgs cheap gain

Slava Ukrainii

They must, again and again, yet again and again there are often roastings.

There is a quote that goes it's not the things we don't know that mess up but the things we do know that just ain't so.

the dear calves were all heavier ones going for bull beef id say. there wasnt the same go on the lighter calfs at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭ginger22

Do these lads realise that we are operating in a "global" market and prices are crashing. Brazilian prices now down to 2.60/Kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Agent collecting a load here this morning. Said he was in the Mart yesterday selling cattle for lads. 360 - 380kg Hex bullocks over €1000. He said you would pick them up 100kgs heavier next spring at €1100. You would be far better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Robson99

Dont know much about Hex prices but stores & Weanlings are mad money at present relative to beef price. As I have said before plenty of lads are going to make nothing after buying dear in the spring and holding them all summer [ having to hold them for 7 months will be a killer unless beef rises quickly ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Robson99

Very few replacements in West of Ireland marts in June & July and any that are have benefitted from compensatory growth after being 8 - 12 weks on grass.

While they may have benefited from CG, you will still get decent growth from June until end of year. Even July/August bought cattle will be well above 50 kgs weight gain at housing. As well I come across a fair bit of poorly done cattle in the marts in Limerick, Kerry and Clare.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Does being QA make much difference for forward stores at the mart? In theory it should but what’s the reality?

I’ve 10 AA and HE cattle, 5 heifers and 5 bullocks, that were avg 486kg when I weighed them a month ago. They gained 1kg/day since turn-out back in March. They’re getting 3kg meal since they were weighed and assuming they’re still gaining 1kg/day, they’ll be 520kg in another 2 weeks.

They have to go then. I can’t keep them any longer as I need the grass for weanlings, and I also need to have another 10 sold before we head off for a few days break in mid-Oct. So the clock is ticking.

I’m in QA now but does it make much difference at the mart?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mr..

I think the powers that be want every farm qa but for u @Siamsa Sessions it shouldnt matter cause them animals may be in the next herd longer than the minimum required days, how far away from 30 months are they?

kill some of them and mart the rest. You might learn something then

Well on the AA cattle foolish or not I bought 2 PB heifers today 14mth old with papers 250kgs for 615 euro...not sure if I was right or wrong but thought them harmless at that money. I've no intention of bulling them they'll be for beef with me. They're very average

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Look at the fat covers especially on the AAs could be fit to hang.

Doing the maths say 260kg Cw weight on the AAs with and average grade for O=, base price of €4.70/kg and breed bonus average of 20c/kg would have you at about €1280,

Dropping to an O- would leave you approx €1240.

Really food for though and something to really consider now you are QA. The hard work is done on those cattle, make sure to take the cream for yourself,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭kk.man

I was only saying the same myself to him. If he marts them the next lad will take a fast profit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks.

At those figures there’s not much between mart and factory. €1,280 for 520kg at the mart is €2.40/kg and this type of cattle are making that easy enough over the past 2 weeks.

Food for thought is right. I’ll keep an eye on prices for the next week and see if any difference emerges then. At least I’ve options now that I am QA.

Thanks again for the replies lads.

(They’re 18 months)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

My neighbour did mart and factory with similar aa/wh hefiers .He found the aa did better in mart wh did better in factory .

If you have time it would be a good comparision to compare by sending half each way ,

Advertisement