Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭seanrambo87

I'd say he's about as qualified as Katherine Thomas is on physical well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭seanrambo87

Ah I see. Simples. I'm going to write a book about that which I'm not qualified and watch the offers roll in. Hey maybe Tube-writ-€ should write a book about presenting prime time television. It might just work for him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I agree with you fully but I would watch The Lover's Guide with Eamon Dunphy or George Hook. Now that would actually be gold for RTE. Not listening to a drip like Sadlier trying to get down with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Maybe he could host a new programme for the Autumn....Ireland greatest Snake oil salesperson.

Wasn't Amy Huberman also doing a podcast for Aldi mammies? Wonder how many listeners that one got. These celebs are all so relatable though, and not detached from reality and obscenely rich for doing jack **** except riding the Dublin-centered media gravy-train. They all need a literal good kick up the hole, smug, arrogant gits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Kathryn T would be well used to the high life - multi millionaire parents (builders), pampered upbringing, private school, etc etc.

God forbid joe or Josephine soap attended the fitness camp...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

"Maybe he could host a new programme for the Autumn...."

Hidden Assets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Not hidden though. He's holding the €150k without so much as a hint of embarassment, having told the Committee that he'd give it back if Renault didn't look for him to do the work, which we all know ain't gonna happen. It's this simple piece that sums up his attitude towards the rest of us. Anyone with a hint of self respect would have paid the €150k back weeks ago. Not our Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Well you had some posters on here claiming he wouldn’t even notice €150,000 so maybe he has just forgotten about it? Seems plausible.

🙄

I know someone posted “Keith’s Teeth” as upcoming on RTÉ this year and I wasn’t sure if it was a piss take at the time or not….but “Keith’s Teeth” featured in the following sketch on Gift Grub a few years ago:

is this the level of output the brains trust in RTÉ can come up with? Listening to old Gift Grub sketches for inspiration? We’ll get Monkey Tennis yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The unfortunate truth is this is the type of $hite the unwashed want. There's people with millions of followers talking ass on tiktok/Instagram etc.

It's not what I want but Rte do throw out some decent environmental shows etc which I enjoy. Not nearly enough for my liking but I'm also not the majority I'm afraid.

They don't cover nearly enough local sport though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

zero chance he's giving back 150k if not legally obliged.

Can we send The Viper and the boys around to collect?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Neferteena

There is no interest in the UK in RT, & no media channel that will pay him his 'notion of what he thinks he's worth.

GB news is hugely right wing & running at a loss. It's salaries are modest, & advertising income inadequate. RT wouldn't be a good fit unless to be kicked around as what they would perceive as a snowflake minority.

Let RT test his own perceived popularity with a podcast, that his own production company funds, that runs live @ 9am, & see how he fares. ...Nah I thought not, even he doesn't believe his own hype enough to invest in himself. He's happier fleecing the had payer & enjoying the sensation of smokebeing blown up his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

He's not even what GB News may perceive to be a Snowflake, Tubs has no opinion, he could not fit on any left wing opinion networks either.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Tubbers is painfully mundane. What a hack. He truly is the master of the fridge magnet platitude.

I called it. Ryan marvels at the Irish landscape with the misery slot undercurrent of a dilapidated industrial school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I recommend that walk - also the Alcock and Brown landing site is worth a visit and a lovely walk

• Beautiful area, hard to beat! And the white Connemara beaches are stunning!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

😶

Slegs blankes??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 electricrover88

Yet nothing happened to rte, just shows how are system is

• Advertisement

So……

Whilst in the lounge in Heathrow tonight I met someone I haven’t seen in a while, someone with “skin in the game” so to speak.

His contention - and this is the short version - is that Mr. Tubridy will be on Today FM within 6 months, after Dempsey’s show. It will be interesting if this happens as Dempsey is not a fan of The Toyman.

That’s the very short version. I won’t go into the detail as I’m very tired after a few long days in London Town, but I can see his logic.

in other news, I know there’s a few on here who doubt everything I say, but I was flicking through my LinkedIn contacts the other day and look who I found:

I’ve hidden our mutual connections number as she could likely identify me from same, but it’s over 150 (I’ve shared this privately with a few posters who can confirm same). And I still have her mobile number, though j suspect that’s out of service now.

Were I asked to advise Ms. O’Leary I would suggest to her that deleting this profile - esp. now that she has retired - would be a wise move. If she wasn’t prepared to do that, I’d at least update the very old picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The formerly famous Bryan Tibberty? :) At this stage, his quest for relevance and attention is a bit pathetic.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's all about keeping his name in the public domain, in the news, being talked about.

NKM are playing a blinder with the puff pieces of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yep. Tubridy's value decreases the longer he's off air. Soon, he'll be offering to pay to be let back.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

A leopard doesn't change his spots.

Any station that takes him on is only doing it for respect for someone else.or they are under pressure to do with an old favour done.

If I was in that business,I would leave the links of him off for a good while as the longer you leave him the less coin you can take him now for 170k or wait 6 months and give him 70 k.

That's showbiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

RTÉ presenter Ryan Tubridy has said he is upset by the homelessness crisis, and that this year’s Late Late Toy Show will make a special effort to recognise children living in difficult circumstances.

He was speaking at Cork auditions for performers for the Late Late Toy Show, where he said he questions how good Ireland is at respecting childhood.

“The current crisis bothers me,” he said. “It really bothers me. It upsets me. This is a toy show, it is a happy story but I don’t think we should let the opportunity go by without mentioning what is happening for a lot of kids around the country.

“My heart breaks when I see reports on the news. I heard one particular report that I can’t get out of my head, a kid was going to school and she was so upset because she was going back home to a hotel, just because her parents fell through a crack in the system. It’s just not fair. They’re sick in their stomachs, they’re nervous, they’re sad, they’re worried. It’s desperate. I don’t know if we can do anything about it, but I can’t ignore it. It’s too sad.”

Tubridy said it was time to remember children who don’t have a voice.

“I want to remember the kids who aren’t in a house,” he said. “I think it is really important that this is the year that the kids who don’t have a voice get heard, and I feel I have a role in that. It’s really important that they know that whatever’s happening in their world, that they’re being thought of, and hopefully the place will be kinder to them.

“We have a very good show, and a very big show, and a very warm show, and a show that’s bursting with happiness from the heart, but there are kids who just don’t have that, and I really want them to know that it’s not going to be bad always, it’s not going to be sad always, it’s not going to be difficult always. That this colour can come to what might be a black and white world.

“I get a great kick out of being ‘the Toy Man’, when kids stop me and say: ‘You’re the Toy Man.’ If you’re going to be the Toy Man, you have got to be the Toy Man for all children and not just for lucky ones.”

A trip down memory lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

A move to Today FM makes sense, especially now that the Dermot & Dave combo is no more. From what I can see, Dave Moore is struggling a bit without his sidekick and it's the sort of show that could easily lose listeners. In other words, it's ripe for a revamp. 6 months is a long time in broadcasting and it'd be a good move for Tubridy after his time in the wilderness. Especially if they can push him towards lighter subjects. And let's face it, he's not going to be in a position to call the shots like he was in RTE. I don't remember his 2FM show too well but I seem to remember people liking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

But why would you take him on.

Is it good business sense.

That's the problem in this country,they don't look for new talent full stop ,they use the same old same old.

There is a new generation out there that want something new.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement