Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Yes, I'm glad we agree that the rules of the road are not the law of the land. Just as cyclists are recommended to keep left (i.e. use a cycle lane where available), motorists are recommended to keep 1.5 metres distance overtaking. Importantly, keeping left facilitates safe overtaking. But none of this is actually enforceable, just good practice.

Page 199 states that cyclists must keep left while keeping clear of the kerb. On left hand side of the road there is a cycle lane provided for this purpose. Again, these are just "guidelines" and are not enforceable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Page 199 states that cyclists must keep left while keeping clear of the kerb. On left hand side of the road there is a cycle lane provided for this purpose. Again, these are just "guidelines" and are not enforceable.

You're joining two of their points into one.

The Keep Left recommendation is general advice and the bullet point about it on pg199 directly follows their advice that at times, people on bikes will use Primary Position in the centre of the road for their safety.

The piece you took regarding the kerb states "Keep clear of the kerb – riding clear will make you more visible and help reduce unsafe overtaking." so this doesn't mean keep to the left of the lane.

I would also point out that the book refers to keeping left several times and whilst it isn't clear on its intent, it does advise that people driving also keep left. However, when it says more about this, it is referring to the left lane rather than left of lane.

Either way, none of this advises that the cyclist in the video that you jumped in to criticise should have done anything differently. Again, maybe you can point out where the book (or even better, the law itself ) says that they should have done something differently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Actually , in most people's experience keeping left leads to dangerous overtakes and close calls. Taking the centre of the lane forces a car to overtake a bike like they would a car.

I'm leaving it at that, you're arguing against yourself at times and raising so many redundant points it's not worth the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There were lots of opinions on the matter when Shane Ross DID actually bring in dangerous overtaking legislation, opinions from legislators and other stakeholders. You appear to have jumped to one particular conclusion about the rationale for not having 1.5m as part of the legislation for no particular reason. The legislature never expressed a firm view on the matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remain sceptical about the idea of creating a law based around a specific measurement, which is not measured. you know what would happen if a motorist was taken to court for speeding, having been eyewitnessed by a garda, with no measuring equipment. the judge would throw it out, because you can't say someone was speeding if there was no attempt to record the speed.

and yes, granted, it's possible the motorist could be done for careless or dangerous driving - but that is then analogous to the situation we face with dangerous overtaking of a cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Not a near miss, but a fella in a van was in such a hurry to pass me this evening, he had to drive alongside me to tell me and my mate we should be cycling single file

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Not me... saw a female cyclist down on Walkinstown roundabout this morning. Was being tended to by a few people. Was talking, hopefully not serious and only bruised and shock. Didn't see the incident. But I did encounter 2 motorists who saw me coming , totally under estimated my speed and pulled out in front of me, causing me to brake hard enough ☹️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a near miss really because she basically sent it to me in a stamped addressed envelope, but the dozy shrug i got off this lady when she finally saw me was a classic of the genre.

my mspaint skills may not clearly indicate that she *was* actually entering the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

This morning was my first time commuting by bike since pre-pandemic I think. Naturally, within five minutes of leaving the house I was nearly squished by a large white van man*. I should've been more alert given that he'd just performed a needless overtake to join a line of traffic, but as I overtook said line of traffic on the left he flicked on the indicator at the same time as he pulled left into a parking spot.

I was about halfway along the van, but thankfully carrying a bit of speed so as I saw the wheel turn I was able to accelerate and swerve in to the left and avoid any collision. I think my shout of fear must've made him stop as well.

I passed the next car still **** roaring, and actually stopped up ahead to let that driver know it wasn't him because he looked a little put out at all the shouting, but holy **** I haven't had one that close in a long time.

The rest of the cycle was lovely.

*the van was large, not the man. Though he was well-built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Following my double puncture last week on the N11 southbound, I was using the bus lane this morning and a Dublin Bus driver decided to beep me out of it, flapping his arms about and gave me a punishment pass because I had the audacity not to be in the glass covered covered cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I've been advocating for years that it should be part of your driving test to cycle in traffic for 1 km.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nope, has to be a specific stretch. I'd recommend from LIDL in North Bray as far as the Topaz in Kilmac. A few km where every experience of being a cyclist can happen in a few km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Bonus points/ free cake if they manage not to become road kill while navigating the Southern Cross junction.

From Tallaght bypass to Crooksling would be a good stretch, and anywhere near Walkinstown roundabout, but you must navigate around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Report him. Might go nowhere, but might get him a flea in the ear.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had a very close one this evening on a group spin. Heading from past Killeen golf club near Sallins, I was at the front of the group. We all were aware of someone driving behind the group for a few minutes but they had had a few opportunities to pass safely so seemed content to stay behind.

As we approached Devonshire Bridge over the Grand Canal which is a narrow bridge at a slight chicane angle to the road (rendering it almost single file), I raced on ahead to check for oncoming traffic.

Your man behind decided that this was the right time to overtake and as I was about to ascend the bridge, I saw the car come alongside me system is say I was doing maybe 45-50km/h. He seemed to hesitate but then gunned it up the bridge alongside me. However he went diagonally over the bridge which meant that as he was driving over the bridge he was getting closer to me so naturally I pulled on the brakes. As he was exiting the bridge (and I was rapidly slowing beside him) there was probably just a few centimetres between him and I, and between me and the stone wall. I actually thought I was going to be squeezed into the wall and not really sure how I managed to avoid it. This all happened in maybe three or four seconds but the other eight in the group also thought I was getting minced. However, all I got of the prick's reg was "222" and the others were too busy watching it to get the details.

I presume he seriously underestimated the road and exercised extremely poor judgement (the solid while line kinda should have been a giveaway nonetheless) and strangely, I've had so many stupid drivers do things that I'm not really fazed about it. What kinda annoys me more is that I know that even had I got the full reg and brought it to the attention to AGS, because I wasn't killed, I've confidence in saying that the likelihood is that nothing would come of it!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VaGQDPQLdST2fd95A

Unfortunately another fatality today

"Gardaí have launched an investigation into a fatal crash that claimed the life of a cyclist in Co Clare today"

RIP 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

We all know there are idiot car drivers, idiots on bikes, idiot lorry drivers, idiot tractor drivers, even idiot pedestrians, but today I had a close enough call with an idiot on one of those unicycle segway yokes.

Out for a spin in NCD along a narrow lane way and coming across a guy strimming in the verge so I naturally move over slightly to the middle of the lane way. Right as I'm next to him this idiot with his full leathers and full face helmet on his powered unicycle passes me out at what seemed like flat out speed.

Who would've thought you could have a close shave with a unicycle segway on a Saturday afternoon rural bike spin...

You can also get access to any CCTV from the bus cameras that shows yourself, which helps to cut out the discussion about the nature of the pass. There's a guide on IrishCycle.com to requesting the CCTV details.

• Advertisement

Somebody proposed this training tactic to the former CEO of Dublin Bus on Twitter a few years back. He responded to say it would be too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Two very near passes today. Both of them young birds who haven't learned to fly properly yet. Had to lock up the wheels to avoid a collision on both occasions.

Don't attribute to intentional what can more easily be explained by stupidity.

School season is about to kick off but I thought I'd have a few more days. Coming up towards the N11, In the bike lane when a car came past within 2cm, and then continued to drift in slowly for the next 100m, not wobbling, precision driving. It was only a few seconds after I realised it was not intentional, just tiredness/inattentiveness/stupidity. I mean the outcome, if it went wrong, is not mitigated by this fact but it was nice to realise it wasn't unjustified rage.

To give an idea of the closeness, I was on my not normal 36cm handlebars. If I had the 44cm the bike came with, they would have taken my bars from under me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Held off posting this for a while because it was with the Gardai. However, it's been 6 months since I gave them the footage and a statement, and I've heard nothing back. Probably the closest I've ever come to being seriously injured on the bike.

The wide-angle lens on the camera doesn't do it justice, but the van swerves into my path to avoid colliding head-on with the truck. It was total insanity.

The worst part is that we're 30 seconds or less from a long, wide stretch of road; where passing is much safer. All this risk, all the lives put on the line (at least mine and his) for 30 seconds.

This is what the Gardai, the RSA, and all of the road safey bodies need to focus on. Not helmets, high-viz, or victim-blaming. We always hear of the tragedies, but these near-misses are happening too, and most aren't on video. Just becasue they "got away with it" and no one got hurt is not an excuse. We can't bring people back when they're gone, so sh*t like this needs to be made an example of. This needs to be stamped out the hard way.

And for the record, I had front and 2 back lights. I was in high-viz. I was wearing a helmet. All of which would have done the sweet sum of f*ck all had this gone slightly differently.

@Schorpio F*ck me is all I have to say to that, maybe 2 seconds away from a fatal collision for either you or the driver. What are the Gardai playing at, the number of easy offences you could add together there and have them close to off the road with minimal effort is ridiculous. No wonder I gave up reporting.

straight into a blind bend on the wrong side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

I'd quote-tweet an RSA tweet about road deaths with this, and suggest that perhaps Garda inaction is a major cause of encouraging reckless driving like this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had 2 very dopey near misses this week. One on Jones road approaching clonliffe. Tipping along, intending car begins to overtake and immediatygoes to turn left. I had to give a big shout and turn with them as I was otherwise coming close to hitting them. They didn't seem to realize how stupid they were

Other on ballymun road, I'm heading towards town, another coming the other way ks waiting to turn to their right to Albert college park. They wait til I'm within hitting distance to ro their turn. Worse still they were a left hand drive too so they were staring out the driver window at me too .

Both incidents I had a feeling they were going to do stupid things so was ready.

Also red light running has reached new absurd heights

JFC, even if there had been no cyclist present, that was absolutely crazy driving. With the cyclist in the mix, it was just plain lethal, and deliberately so. Shame on AGS for not acting on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I do sense that given all the tragic events of the last few weeks that now is a good time to try. You could send to journo of below article and/or Liz O’Donnell to ask why the guards don’t enforce the law on near misses. Something has to change.

Advertisement