Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Rugby (Social Rugby) 2023/2024

• 01-09-2023 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭

Anyone playing or thinking of going back playing this season

Used to be a few here who posted about playing in the metro leagues in Dublin/Leinster.

Fixtures for the top divisions up online now. Looks like slight change in name/format with divisions 1/2 now premier 1/2 and divisions 4/5 are split into 3 groups for qualifiers. then back to normal with divisions 6 to 9

premier 1

belvedere, trinity, lansdowne, clontarf, terenure, barnhall, ucd, wesley 

premier 2

enniscorthy, rock, naas, stones, skerries, navan, marys, wanderers

division 3

clontarf, marys, malahide, wesley, terenure, naas, tullamore, lansdowne 

divisions 4/5

group a

lansdowne, cym, railway union, greystones 

group b

stillorgan-rathfarnham, wanderers, ucd, rathdrum

group c

old wesley, old belvedere, terenure, barnhall

metro 6

blackrock, swords, clontarf, wesley, stones, trinity, tallaght, barnhall

metro 7

navan, marys, belvedere, railway, seapoint, bgf ravens, guinness

metro 8

dlsp, bective, marys, skerries, lansdowne, emerald warriors, tullamore, stillorgan

metro 9

ardee, boyne, newbridge, roscrea, north meath, tullamore, portarlington, athy

Comments

I wouldn't call J1 to J3 "social" in Dublin TBH.

I know Mary's are recruiting for players at all levels but if anyone wants J4/5 let me know.

I'm 10 years out of that club played at higher levels but I'm telling you something, if you want really social rugby that club is fantastic at at j4/5.

Best tour I ever had was randomly putting my hand up and going to Berlin, for the 10s, with the j5 team. Most of that squad were at my wedding and I coached them when injury forced a retirement.

Only thing I miss about living in Dublin.

Anyone want to play J1 or 3 in Cork city, give me a shout and I'll do full court recruitment on you, for the coming season

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I know its not. i just listed all the divisions as over past few years when starting this thread theyre usually the only divisions published with the lower divisions into september before the clubs have definite ideas on numbers and comp organisers and the branch can set things up

I was only laughing as I typed that, pure tongue in cheek.

I'm shocked at my old club though. Mary's not having a "J3" in the J2 divisions is insane, to me.

The J3 team I had, in my 2nd/3rd year as a coach, went undefeated in the old metro 5 and then 4.

Hell them not being in the premier 1 is shock enough.

Few drinks in and nostalgia for being 30 hits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

First game under the new tackle laws tomorrow, interested to see how that plays out. I am UK based but I believe the tackle rules are the same in Ireland?

I'm old enough to remember when imports, from NZ, started hitting higher and it was a pure mental tactic to make you fear going into contact and risking getting tackled high

It's why I've no sympathy for people saying they can't tackle low. Outside clotheslines it was always a low tackle being practiced. Even (shudder) a wrap and absorb tackle, falling backwards. I know like, imagine not EVERY tackle being dominant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is there a division 10? I cannot see my team there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I'm playing social rugby, there are older guys who genuinely won't be able to tackle low enough, especially on smaller players. Curious to see how it plays out, but I imagine the change will effectively retire those players. Will all depend how vigilant the refs are.

Won't likely be confirmed yet. The lowest divisions aren't up yet

I think Refs will take time to get used/allow players get used to it but saying some older won't be able to go low is a cop out imo. It's belly height. If someone can't get that low in most cases then there's something really wrong

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yes there is. Division 9 is provincial teams and Division 10 is Dublin Metro area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I'm one of the older players on our team and I don't see it being a problem (despite my favoured tackle usually having been wrapping "ball and all"). Where I do see it will change things is that it will make it easier for faster attacking players to side-step and avoid tackles, as the tackler will have to commit slightly earlier when dipping.

TBH - if you can't get down to belly level to tackle, then how are you engaging in scrums or clearing out at ruck time?

Divisions 10/11 up now. think numbers for teams as in 2nds/3rds are right

premier 1

belvedere 2, trinity 2, lansdowne 2, clontarf 2, terenure 2, barnhall 2, ucd 2, wesley 2

premier 2

enniscorthy 2, blackrock 2, naas 2, greystones 2, skerries 2, navan 2, marys 2, wanderers 2

division 3

clontarf 3, marys 3, malahide 2, wesley 3, terenure 3, naas 2, tullamore 2, lansdowne 3

divisions 4/5

group a

lansdowne 4, cym 1, railway union 1, greystones 3

group b

stillorgan-rathfarnham 1, wanderers 3, ucd 3, rathdrum 1

group c

old wesley 4, old belvedere 3, terenure 4, barnhall 3

metro 6

blackrock 3, swords 1, clontarf 4, wesley 5, greystones 4, trinity 3, tallaght 1, barnhall 3

metro 7

navan 3, marys 4, belvedere 4, railway 2, seapoint 3, bgf ravens 1, guinness 1

metro 8

dlsp 3, bective 3, marys 5, skerries 3, lansdowne 5, emerald warriors 1, tullamore 3, stillorgan 2

metro 9

ardee 1, boyne 3, newbridge 3, roscrea 2, north meath 2, tullamore 4, portarlington 2, athy 2

metro 10

Trinity 4, dublin dogos 1, barnhall 4, parkmore 1, terenure 5, malahide 3, ucd 4, clontarf 5

metro 11

balbriggan 2, ratoath 1, emerald warriors 2, rcsi 1, railway union 3, athboy 1, tallaght 2, cym 2

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Belly height on a scrum half for a 60 year old lock is a bit of an effort. The alternative is just not tackling them, which is not the end of the world in social rugby

So anyone playing. how are ye adapting to the new tackle laws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Seeing lots of soft penalties for players putting a hand on high before actually making the tackle - especially when chasing from behind.

To be fair - I don’t think I’ve seen one instance yet of what would have been considered a high tackle under the previous laws - which means the experimental rules are doing what was intended (in games I’ve played/seen)

Advertisement