Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Discount was only available if I signed there and then, hopefully its still there on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

You might find something better elsewhere early next week as the other companies follow enegia’s lead???

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I rang Energia asking about rates if I would like to switch.

I have smart meter activated.They gave me following from 3rd October

36.60 cent (day rate)

20.90 cent (night rate)

38.36 cent (peak rate)

Standing charge 218€.Thats the cheapest smart rates .Plenty time till october.

Will see what other will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lagganeer

Don’t they always warn you at the outset that they record the calls. There’s where you will get your proof of what was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

I may be reading this wrong but are you with Energia & they're the rates they'll offer you to stay? Or are you with another provider & they're the rates they'll offer to switch to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

the BGE offering seems only to be to customers on fixed 24 hour tariffs and dual fuel with 24 hour tariff.

I'm smart meter ev tariff and 15% is all they will offer. Contract is up next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'm a BG customer. Contract out Tuesday next. 2 weeks ago they offered 10% off dual fuel standard tariff (have a smart meter not using it as one). I flat out said no and quoted the flogas figures. Way under theirs. Be prepared to move.

I have a spreadsheet with all the figures from various suppliers and I ask for price per unit ex vat and I ask on the phone for exactly that ignoring the percent nonsense. There is less than 0.5% difference between all suppliers when you add in the different standing charges over a year.

Today I got the retention team offer of 41%/35% off either one. It takes approx €800 off my annual bill compared to previous offer. It appears you have to hold tight as long as possible before accepting/rejecting a deal.

The standard offer is the ridiculous Saturday free units. What family does all their usage on a Saturday only ? It's not a saving. I don't have a EV so I can't see the advantage of a smart meter contract. The costs during family hours are high.

Do out a spreadsheet, try to figure out your true usage over 12 months from your bills. Use the actual units used as a basis for calculation and not the estimated saving nonsense. Do all the calculations yourself based on quoted unit rates. Percentage quotes mean nothing. Percent of what is your first question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Keep trying Energia, I got 20% discount to stay with them a couple of months ago

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think the EV rate is better even if you don't have one. 36.6c day rate, and 8.2c from 2-6am

I meant to reply to reply to big boss, don't know why it didn't work, I haven't been here since the botched update

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I'm pretty sure you'll only get that 20% deal if you actually sign with another provider. At that point Energia will ring you and offer you the 20% discount to return to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They were the longest provider I ever stayed with because of exactly that practice.

So you signed on with another company every year and Energia made you a better offer each time?!?

Yes, I think it was three years in a row, I finally left them for BG 40% discount giving a unit rate of 16c, no smart meters around at that time energia wouldn't or couldn't match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Had a similar experience myself. I used to have a chat with a gravely sounding lady whose name escapes me once a year. She was head of retentions and the conversation would last less than 30 seconds. I think I got up to 38% discount at one stage at a time when the unit rates between suppliers were quite even. She didn't believe in beating around the bush and would say straight out what her max offer was. The year I left Airtricity had a very generous cashback offer coupled with low unit rates. That conversation lasted less than 10 seconds.

I didn’t move providers and got the 20% from the retention team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

What do people think is a good discount? I recently switched providers and getting 10% off Gas and 10% off Electricity. That's duel fuel. Reading this thread it dosen't seem all that great.

Next year I will make more effort to compare prices as I've been with the same providers for 18 years out of pure laziness. Now I know the changeover is so easy I'll definitely do it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭zell12

A 100% discount is good. Discount rates are useless, you need to look at the unit rates

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

When was this? I’ve had 2 representatives in Energia retention tell me in the last week that the most they can offer an out-of-contract customer who is still with them is 15% but that 20% offers are made to those who jump ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

And I was told by them during the week that Energia are offering better rates to existing customers than to new ones. I was offered 15% on a day/night tariff.

They're a bunch of spoofers. Making it up as they go along.

Right. But the 20% discount is only offered if you actually sign up with a competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

2 months ago, don’t believe everything your told by a call centre employee

• Registered Users Posts: 46,091 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can confirm that the most Energia would offer was a 15% discount when I was negotiating a new contract with them for electricity only which I didn't accept. After signing up with Flogas they rang and offered a 20% discount.

No it isn't, they're seeing if you're a tyre kicker or actually serious about moving, a bit like a 14 year old leaving home😊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I've been waiting over a week to have CP rate confirmed by email, nothing. Never got a confirm after from saying they got my request and had been processed. The screenshot didn't specifically mention the CP either.

Am an existing Flogas dual fuel customer moving to the CP so unfortunately am not eligible for any of the BG renewal deals some seem to be getting.

Alternative description: they're making customers needlessly jump through extra hoops. In a context where their competitors are likely to match or exceed their announced price drops, it's exceedingly foolish, since some of those who jump might just end up staying with the competitors.

Whatever sense it made a week ago, once you're the first company to announce price cuts, it ceases to make any sense. You want to leverage those price cuts to lock people in, not encourage them to go elsewhere to "prove they're serious." It's like asking your partner to go cheat on you to prove she really isn't happy. Or something.

i am sure yuno hit the market and then announced a further price cut before energia, if people want to save money on their fuel the play the game and this is a great place to gain that knowledge, cribbing about a companies business practice will only anger yourself

plenty of people don't even contact the companies for a discount and roll on for over a decade so getting 15% is a bonus but only the wise will threaten a move or play hard ball and get more

• Advertisement

Angry? Mildly annoyed, more like. And I think their practice is objectively stupid from a pure business standpoint. They are selling a commodity. They don't give it away or, generally sell it at a loss (Energia's EV tariffs last year were an exception: more proof that whoever is running that business isn't the sharpest business mind on earth). A 15% or 20% discount isn't a "bonus" or some sort of gift. It's what, as you point out, discerning consumers are willing to pay and a price at which the company still makes money.

Yesterday an Energia rep had me on the phone, ready to sign up for a year's contract right then and there provided he gave me the 20% discount that the company is giving to others. He says he couldn't do it and made clear I could get the 20% if I signed with another company. He had me in the door, chequebook (metaphorically) in hand and his response was to invite me to not only check a competitor's prices but to actually go and sign up with one.

Anyone who knows anything about business knows that getting the customer in the door and ready to part with their money is the entire game, especially when you're selling a commodity that is no different than what everyone else is selling. The boffins at Energia, however, don't see it that way. They think the best way to do business is to hold firm on the extra 5% and send those customers to their competitors. Genius!

So, no, not angry. Simply slack-jawed with amazement at the stupidity.

Advertisement