Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The jouney time from Wexford to Dublin via Waterford would be horrendous, nobody would use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Well I probably agree, but then this (from AIRR)!...

Getting off topic for this thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The Dublin to Wexford via Waterford journey time looks to be very optimistic there, particularly when compared to the Dublin to Waterford journey time. It would require major investment on the Waterford - Rosslare line considering it is riddled with Level Crossings and without a realignment trains would have to go to Rosslare and turn back between Wexford and Waterford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would not have the commuter diesels going south of GCD, and most Wexford/Gorey IC trains turning at Bray. with cross platform transfer. However, that may not be easy to arrange - or popular with the few passengers who travel to/from Wexford. Maybe increasing the frequency might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That would just put people off using the Intercity train full stop.

For goodness sakes, forcing people paying higher fares on Intercity services (on trains with luggage racks and toilets) onto a packed commuter train with no such facilities for a good portion of their journey, potentially having to lug cases from one train to another (and it wouldn’t be cross-platform in Bray in one direction - it would be across the bridge) would just sound the death knell for the service.

This sort of daft notion needs to be just shelved.

Once the ICRs are reformed and, more importantly, more new drivers become available, then there ought to be scope for adding more services along the line to Wexford and Rosslare, including an early morning service from Dublin.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would see the 'Wexford' Dart service being able for southbound to terminate at platform 2 and allow cross platform transfer. Some Dart trains do terminate at platform 2.

Why would the Dart be packed? There are four Rosslare trains per day, plus one to Wexford, and one to Gorey. It will not put many IC travellers off - well not compared to the extra number that would use it if extra services were put on. No train arrives in Wexford in the morning.

The purpose of the Rosslare Harbour service was to facilitate passengers from the ferries. Do these trains even meet the ferries? - any of them? - either arriving or leaving?

Higher or lower fares are a matter for IR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭prunudo

Apologies, didn't mean physically join but as an interchange as you say, where people can flow easliy from one mode to another.

Post edited by prunudo on

Hahaha I checked a few ferry routes from Rosslare. The most frequent routes (daily to Fishguard and Pembroke) depart Rosslare 3 to 10 minutes before a train arrives in from Dublin.

The first ferry into Rosslare from Fishguard arrives 5 minutes before the first train leaves for Dublin. Fancy running? Another ferry arrives in at 17.30, the same time the last train departs for Dublin.

IS THAT FOR REAL? SERIOUSLY. WTAF. Sorry for shouting but that is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Given that IÉ are about to throw a truck load of cash at redeveloping the port, it doesn't speak well to how well they are integrating the port with commuter services. Freight speaks way more to IÉ

Surely IR would be pushing to close at least some of the level crossings between Bray and GCD. There were plans to close Merrion Gates but that was driven by a cycling initiative.

When Lansdowne Road football venue was being redeveloped, were IR in there insisting that the LC be closed? I do not think so.

Are there any proposals for te one at Bray?

• Advertisement

Stena Line unilaterally changed the ferry times in July on the Rosslare to Fishguard route, breaking all of the rail connections at Rosslare and the evening rail connection at Fishguard.

The Rosslare-Pembroke route does not support sail/rail tickets - the railway station at Pembroke Dock is a significant distance from the port, and the railway service from there is a very slow trip to Carmarthen. There are no connecting trains.

Maybe shout at the ferry company. They changed the sailing times.

Sam you keep trotting this nonsense out without any firm basis for it.

The DART would become packed because under your suggestion over 200 people would have change trains, many of whom will have luggage with them thus making the DART far busier,

I don't know how many times I've posted it, but you just seem to keep ignoring it, the simple reason for there being no early morning service from Dublin and mid-morning return from Wexford is that there are not enough drivers and not enough rolling stock to do it at the moment. I again repeat myself, when those issues are resolved, and with a bit of luck that may be sometime in 2024 once all of the ICRs are reformed, there are plans for such a service to operate.

If people are paying for an Intercity rail journey, they are entitled to expect an Intercity service - i.e. rolling stock with toilets and proper luggage facilities for the entire trip, and not to have to connect using a DART train.

The primary reason for the service is to link Dublin with the towns along the east coast - and not to serve Rosslare Harbour for ferries.

You would drive most of that traffic away to buses and cars if you were to implement your idea. It totally dilutes the product on offer and would put people off using the train.

It's not going to happen as it would go down like a lead balloon.

Incremental frequency increases will happen as drivers and unit availability improves.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Well thank God for that. I'm actually relieved there's a clear reason, rather than a state institution being that inept. That's very poor from Stena Line to change without agreement with IR.

The ferry companies are only interested in freight traffic - that's what makes money for them. They have no interest in the foot passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

In fairness, terminating intercity at GCD isn't any different than terminating Enterprise at Connolly - there are already people from that service using Dart to get to places in the city centre further south. The dart is a high capacity service that's set to get even more frequent under Dart+ so what's the problem?

How many passengers travel form Rosslare Harbour to beyond Bray on each of the four trains that depart Rosslare each day? I suspect a taxi for each train could take them.

You mention passengers with luggage, but then say the Rosslare Harbour train does not meet the ferries. Where do these passengers get their luggage?

My idea is that a fresh Dart train is provided for the Wexford passengers at Bray and crossing the platform should not be a problem. How do those passengers manage if they are not going to DL, or Pearse, or Tara St, or Connolly? Most will have to change somewhere. The southbound Dart train would be signposted as serving 'Rosslare - changing at Bray' and would arrive at platform two for an across platform change, with immediate departure for Gory, Wexford and beyond.

The first train of the day could be used to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Ireland trains

But there’s nowhere to terminate Rosslare services at GCD, and there won’t be in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭pigtown

It should no different than Limerick passengers having to change at Limerick Junction.

I don't think it's a terrible idea. If the transfer is done well, it could work. If I lived in Wexford, I'd rather have 10x trains per day to Bray than 4x trains directly to Connolly.

Fast forward 10/15 years, Luas Green extended to Bray with speed improvements on sections, plus an upgraded high frequency Dart line. It's a decent trade off.

Sam, you seem fixated by some notion that all the people on those trains with luggage are going to Rosslare - they are not.

They're going to one of the seven other stations along the line from Wicklow south, and more than likely somewhere like Wexford.

A lot of people use those trains to go on holiday in some of those locations - hence the luggage.

People do holiday in Ireland!!

I really don't think that you have any idea about who uses Intercity trains?

All that your idea is doing is just diluting the Intercity product and making it far less attractive.

This is a pointless discussion, as there are NO plans whatsoever to do this, and frankly I would suggest that it belongs in a completely separate fantasy ideas thread rather than this one which is discussing the actual plans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As much as I, and others, think it would make sense, Irish Rail have completely abandoned all attempts at planning such a change, as they were told it was impossible politically.

Post edited by CatInABox on

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

Will the DART+ Coastal South project have any effect on the journey times of the DART?

Well Woodbrook opening will mean longer journey times.

The project is really more about increasing capacity rather than increasing speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Yes, it's primarily about capacity, but shortening journey times has to come as part of that too, or they'll end up needing loads of trains.

Each train costs about €12m each (before you even consider staffing costs), so spending, say, €30 million on speed improvent works could end up being a saving if it means meeting the same service level with three fewer trains.

There really isn’t much scope for improving journey times on the southern coastal route as it already has the benefit of the faster acceleration from using EMU stock.

The plan involves buying more rolling stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the service is undoubtedly slow compared to other systems, particularly between Dun-laoghaire and Dalkey. I get that it's in a cutting and is a twisty section of track but it's far slower than (say) the Tube which has even more restricted space.

But the stations are so frequent and close together there's not much gain to be made from making them quicker. Something could surely be done about the glacial dwell times though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Closing the level crossings would speed things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

I don't know if this has been mentioned about dart+ west before. But spare a thought for anyone blind who would've heard this text read out on their screen reader software.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wonder how services will be timetabled for the duration of this project as various elements of the project get delivered at differing points in time. For example, will Hazelhatch services terminate at Spencer Dock in advance of Dart+ SW being delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Mostly on topic - I was wondering where we’re at with Woodbrook DART station. Had a search there and found expression of tender interest from a year ago, nothing since. NTA were due to submit PP in Sep 2020, I presume that was done ages ago, was it granted? Couldn’t find it on pleanala.ie though.

Anyone got an update?

Advertisement