Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nah, that was a weird rumour thrown out, and then thoroughly debunked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Oh just like the general 'We', as in anyone in the general public who was paying any attention to the club's contract negotiation with Mo only a year ago, where "we" could see the regular poking and prodding his agent did in public to push Mo's position. He especially became famous for his regular stream of cryptic (and usually mocking) tweets about it - every time Klopp or the club said anything about Mo's lapsing deal, he'd be right in after on twitter with a barb.

He's demonstrably not a "keep things behind closed doors" kinda guy, so it's quite telling that there's not been a peep from him (or Mo) about leaving, and indeed his only statement on the matter was a very firm comment that Mo had no intention of leaving and was fully committed to Liverpool.

Okay, the wee wee who were shocked at at any of of the clubs new signings etc, good source, keep following where you get the best results.....

Okie, I'm not sure where this conversation has gone, but I don't understand what this means, or what it has to do with anything I've said.

My point was simple enough I thought - Mo's agent himself personally tweets and comments a lot when angling for stuff for Mo. Mo's agent has not done any of that at all around any of this. Mo's agent just made one firm statement, that Mo was not going anywhere. It would appear, by looking at previous and present behaviour, that Mo is probably not looking to head off just at the moment. 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Tyler Morton went on loan to Hull late last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

That's a nice bit of midfield business although I know little of Gravenberch. Hopefully he will be a success.

Surprised no incoming CB. I guess they won't bring in anyone just for the sake of it.

I reckon Salah will go as well. Will be very hard to turn down 200m + which I expect to see coming in at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Reflecting in this overnight, I agree the 200 m hid is probably coming, but is that enough? Given the market inflation, it's not near Coutinho money, and compare the impact of both players, it's incomparable. How would even start to we replace him with that level of money? 250 up front, then we talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not a chance now the buying window's closed.

Winter is unlikely because the AFCON starts on the 10th Jan, so he'll be busy most of it.

Next summer would be best even if it was for less money. Money is useless when you can't spend it.

Why can't they come back in on Jan 1st with 200m?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I'm not sure how your comment is even relevant to what I was saying. I was simply replying to comments trying to score points after the Newcastle win as if the concerns and criticisms during the transfer window didn't matter or still matter now.

Weve gone from the Quad to missing out on CL football and alot of that is down to lack of investment . We failed to freshen the squad while we had success to the point we had to replace a whole midfield in one window. FSG don't want to spend the money, it's nothing to do with ethics or financial honesty.Ward leaving so soon after Edwards shows something is not right internally.

FSG behaviours during the Super league , pandemic with furlough payments were an embarrassment so take the rose tinted glasses off . Their reputation in the US and Red Sox has alot of similarities to how their reputation is suffering with Liverpool fans also. To suggest we are best run club in top 6 after the last 12 months is absolutely ridiculous.

Post edited by bdmc16 on

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

It's been a very mixed window for me. We had such a promising start with the McAllister and Szoboszlai purchases. Both players were the right type of players to bring in and both have started well.

Given our apparent lack of activity in the 2 months after these buys it would seem to me that the plan was to go into the season with the midfield like that until unexpectedly Henderson and Fabinho left. We then wasted precious weeks on a strange last minute bid for Caicedo and tame efforts at getting Lavia. In fairness I didn't expect us to get 2 more midfielders in after that. Happy to see numbers added to the midfield but very uncertain on the quality. We still need a 6.

No defensive reinforcements is a major worry though. Matip and Gomez were both terrible last season and Vvd was poor also. The age profile of Matip and Vvd alone irrespective of form should have meant we are thinking about replacements. It could also be argued we should be lining up alternatives for Robertson and Trent. So we still have an unfinished rebuild of the midfield and a complete defensive rebuild to look forward to in the next 2 windows. Never should have been at this point but here we are thanks to poor planning. I am still not sure there is a cohesive squad management plan in place. Many of our purchases are reactions to either players leaving unexpectedly or players, who should have been replaced much earlier, allowed to run down their contracts. Worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Guardian gave out business a 4/5.

Might have been a bit too much focus on the reduced age and potential rather than how it puts us for the season ahead.

No mention of CB either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm fairly certain the Saudis wouldn't be pushing it this much if Mo had no interest. He's not going to push for a move but it is very likely it is something he would be open to.

I wouldn't agree - right now they're buying publicity. They're buying airtime. They're buying legitimacy. It's effectively a massive league rebrand, and they want to make as much noise as possible - with (failed) bids for all of Messi, Mbappe, and Mo all generating tonnes of coverage and showing the calibre of players they're connecting themselves with.

I'm also really not sure it's something he'd be open to at this stage of his career - that money will be there for a minimum of 7 more years (Vision 2030), and will be on the table for him any time he wants it. At 31, and being the most competitive fella on the planet, I don't see him taking the retirement option sooner than he needs to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I feel the Saudi bids for all of our players is as much to do with weakening Liverpool, as to benefit '' other'' PL teams, as it is to do with actually needing the likes of Henderson, Fabinho, Salah, Gomez etc.

It was a tactic Man City used early on when chasing their first PL title, weaken the teams around them, by buying their players, so that they could win the league, they cleared out Arsenal, United, Spurs, Liverpool of their best players, and then won the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just to lighten the mood, here's Jordan Pickford doing Jordan Pickford things..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

We've been blessed with the way the fixture list has fallen. A home game follows all but one of the Europa League group games. The one away game is against Brighton who will have traveled to Marseille for their European fixture when Liverpool were at home to Union SG.

The only potential downer is that Man Utd will have an extra two days of recovery before the game at Anfield in December, but we should be comfortable enough in the group to field a reserve side for the final game.

September 21

LASK vs Liverpool (17:45)

West Ham vs TSC (20:00)

Brighton vs AEK Athens (20:00)

September 24

Liverpool vs West Ham

October 5

Freiburg vs West Ham (17:45)

Marseille vs Brighton (17:45)

Liverpool vs Union SG (20:00)

October 8

Brighton vs Livepool

October 26

Olympiacos vs West Ham (17:45)

Brighton vs AFC Ajax (17:45)

Liverpool vs Toulouse (20:00)

October 29

Liverpool vs Nottingham Forest

November 9

Toulouse vs Liverpool (17:45)

Ajax vs Brighton (17:45)

West Ham vs Olympiacos (20:00)

November 11

Liverpool vs Brentford

November 30

TSC vs West Ham (17:45)

AEK Athens vs Brighton (17:45)

Liverpool vs LASK (20:00)

December 2

Liverpool vs Fulham

December 12

Man United vs Bayern (20:00)

December 14

Union SG vs Liverpool (17:45)

West Ham vs Freiburg (20:00)

Brighton vs Marseille (20:00)

December 16

Liverpool vs Man Utd

Mbappe had no interest in joining their project but it didn't stop them from publicly making a ridiculous offer for his services. Money is no object for them and it's simply a tool to get them what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

If he's not interested he should just come out and say in then. Mbappe made it clear he had no interest. Also, If he was the most competitive fella on the planet he'd be pushing to leave Liverpool for a bigger European team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Robbo to gravenbech on meeting him,just after he'd hugged vvd and Cody ... Robbo..."finally a good Dutch player"

😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The United game will probably move to Sunday wouldn't it?

He’s best off just keeping quiet publicly. He’s almost certainly going to end up there eventually. Personally making some public statement gains him nothing. His agent made their public statement, and as long as Liverpool know his position privately that’s all that really matters.

The games against Brentford, Fulham and Man Utd will all be moved to Sunday. The announcement for the November fixture amendments is usually after the international break in September.

If Salah did leave, Klopps net spend would be 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Salah see out his contract and then move on a free with a massively inflated wage, like Mbappe appears to be doing at PSG.

Equally I wouldn’t be surprised to see an offer of £50m plus a bag of chips accepted during the second half tomorrow!

One thing I know for sure is this is an attempt at destabilising NCastles biggest rivals for 4th. It doesn’t take a genius to cop that, but what can the authorities actually do?!? Nothing I presume! Just wait until players start getting sent to Newcastle on loan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

"Players being sent to Newcastle on loan" has been mooted since Ronaldo moved to Saudi and it hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

City get themselves another dodgy call to take the lead, Akanji miles offside and he literally jumps as the ball goes through his legs and into the net, somehow not seen as influencing the play

Caicedo hasn't had the best of starts at Chelsea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

He invited so much scrutiny on himself by rejecting a move to Liverpool, added to the price tag and then factor in going to a squad that is not performing in front of goal. Will be tough for any player.

Looking at the Newcastle result...don't go for tea at the Saudi Embassy Eddie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

September Games

That job is too big for Eddie Howe. He'll be gone this week.

Evan Ferguson with a hat trick. Serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Both moved to Sunday because of EL, rather than TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I wouldn't be calling u to the Saudi consulate or embassy over the international break if I was him...

As posted elsewhere 'Hacked in the morning, hacked in the morning'

I have a feeling the Villa game will be a return to earth game, win though and it's a great start, these points could be the difference come the end of the season

I'd be surprised if we didn't get the 3 points.

Wouldn't be surprised if we had a man sent off, stone wall penalty denied or ridiculous VAR decision going against us either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

It's a stupid outdated rule. The premier League has millions of fans in the uk but limit 7 of the games to 250k fans each week. They need to update their rights approach.

It's now even more ridiculous that Ireland doesn't get a better deal now that we're not in the same customs union. They already show one more game per week here. Just show them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Stay quiet and get to say to Liverpool next year 'I didn't stir the pot, pay me more i want to stay'

He also gets to say to Saudi when he's ready to move that he's never told them to get lost.

• Advertisement

With VVD down, and Konate injured it could be a difficult afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

This is the type of game we could really struggle with. A team who'll invite us on and have huge pace to counter us, more worried about this than last week's buildup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Big test today. Lots of inconsistency in the league so far. Chelsea and Newcastle both looked pretty good against Liverpool and sh!te against other teams. Could be a wild game as this Liverpool team have no ability to control a game yet. Villa are good going forward. Diaby looks a great addition.

I think in games like this - against teams like this - we have too much strength up top and a midfeld that is coming together.

If we are missing both VVD and Konate (is he confirmed out) I'd prefer to see our back 4 remain back there as a back 4.

Have to respect Villa but I wouldn't be too concerned considering the combativeness shown over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

This villa will be organised and dangerous on the counter.

wonder will klopp go 4-2-3-1 as opposed to 4-3–3

just for a bit of protection in front of back four

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Controlled risks.

Gung ho is probably what Villa want.

Looking forward to it more than any game this season after our good start.

Do you start Darwin if we think they'll be no space? He could also be good for crosses if Villa sit in tho.

• Advertisement

I think we have to start Darwin, don't we?

Strikers are generally confidence players, and he probably is more than most. I think benching him might set him (and therefore us) back. Even if tactically it may be more suited to Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Given he benched Darwin in the first place when he was in form last season, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything.

Do you mean the first few matches of this season?

I think that made sense, despite his preseason form being great, at he doesn't help out the midfield much, and we needed that help initially. Not to say our midfield is settled yet, but I think they're probably ready to allow the striker more free rein now. Hopefully

That said, I really like Cody, I'm not overly pro-Darwin. I just think last week's goals probably earned him a start today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

We'll be fine today once we go down to 10 men...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

If Nunez doesn't start it will kill his confidence. I hope he starts and scores again. I'd prefer Jota's industry to Diaz's flair for this one but reckon Klopp will go for Diaz.

Alisson

TAA Matip Gomez Robertson

Szoboszlai Endo Mac Allister

Salah Nunez Jota

• Advertisement
Advertisement