Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting of Ta'Kiya Young

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And I go back to what I said.

They had ZERO evidence that she committed a crime. And the result is that she was murdered.

Justify it all you want, but anyone who thinks it’s ok for police to murder someone after they had zero evidence of a crime being committed is a scumbag in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,502 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Funny I never had a cop point a gun at me or jump in front of my car either. Guess I’m the wrong color?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s absolutely relevant.

She was murdered by police after she committed no crime. That is wrong and your ignorance is really showing once again.

Do you accept that the suspect would not have been killed had she not attempted to run over a police officer?

“Unknown”

Jesus that’s getting to be quite a large stat now. Nothing to see here TM

• Advertisement

Officers have to react in split seconds to decide the optimum course of action in a potentially life-threatening situation

Bullocks that’s what all that 21 whole weeks of training is for.

The suspect would not have been killed if the officer didn’t shoot her.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

A store employ came out and told the cops they suspected she had shoplifted. The cops in this situation are duty bound to question her. It's literally the job of police to question somebody who is suspected of committing a crime.

I don't accept that.

Police can temporarily detain suspects if they have reasonable suspicion that the person may have been involved in a crime, in this case -- shoplifting. People are temporarily detained and questioned all the time, the majority of whom are innocent of any wrongdoing. It does not give those questioned the right to react with reckless, illegal abandon.

Second, any reasonable assessment of the footage would come to at least three inescapable conclusions:

• that the suspect attempted to flee the scene (a crime in itself)
    • that the suspect physically assaulted the police officer with the vehicle (yet another crime, which could have had fatal consequences for the officer)
    • that the suspect repeatedly refused to comply with reasonable and lawful officer requests

All the suspect had to do was leave the vehicle, allow for a thorough inspection, and she would have been on her way -- something as I say, almost everyone else would have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 IlovemybrickFC

Not to stereotype too much but from experience because they generally have solid family backgrounds with present and involved fathers plus a solid work ethic, coupled with being grateful for every bit of help they are given without being entitled and expecting - I wish we had thousands more in Iteland. We’d be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Opening fire on a young woman in a car is a despicable act. Unless they had reason to believe she was a member of ISIS on a suicide mission and the car was packed with explosives, there are no circumstances where it would be acceptable to point a gun at her and pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 IlovemybrickFC

She should have stopped, obeyed the police officer, not drove into the pavement, not tried to flee and her and her unborn child would be alive.

I doubt they’d even see any jail time for the theft.

Since you’re arguing reasonableness what was reasonable about pointing a gun at someone for SUSPECTED shoplifting? You didn’t include in your bullet points anything about the lethal force escalation.

How does one drive a car into pavement it’s not a submarine

She was refusing to turn off the engine and leave the vehicle, and had clear intentions to leave the scene (which later proved to be the case).

The officer had no choice but to take out his firearm as a means of ensuring she did not attempt to flee the scene.

As for lethal force escalation, that was immediately initiated by the suspect when she drove into a police officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Eh he could have taken the number plate and followed up. A case of potential shoplifting and escalating to killing the suspect isn't exactly a great reflection on law enforcement.

“no choice TM”

can get out with that blue line crap. Get the plate. She stole liquor. Allegedly stole liquor. Look up her DMV record and get an arrest warrant if she flees. Cops escalated this situation to lethal force.

As for lethal force escalation, that was immediately initiated by the suspect when she drove into a police officer.

tell me you didn’t watch the video @[Deleted User] without telling me you didn’t watch the video.

They escalated to lethal force.

I asked this question earlier to another poster, and it was ignored.

I'll ask you the same question, which is a simple yes or no. The answer isn't a question, whataboutery, a slogan, a statement, or misrepresentation. It's a yes or no.

Do you accept that the suspect would not have been killed had she not attempted to run over a police officer?

• Advertisement

That’s a red herring. She wouldn’t have likely driven off if 2 white cops didn’t point guns at her like the daylight KKK

what else do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Yep , the crisis of family breakdown amongst African Americans in the past sixty years is a huge issue but one which is impolite to mention in respectable discourse , the issues are cultural , Asians have a culture which fosters a high focus on discipline and self improvement

This has literally nothing to do with the killing. Try harder.

ICYMI: cops CAN CHOOSE not to shoot at someone from driving away from the scene of a crime. Notice how they don’t point guns at them or shove their meat sacks in front of the vehicle?

but thank god no liquor was allegedly stolen it was just a little reckless driving that can’t harm anyone.

but wait till you hear this: they got the perp later, using the gathered evidence. Amazing. They have a choice TM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I was replying to another poster , I wasn’t the one who introduced the liberal trope about “ systematic injustice “

Just the trope about broken black family units.

hey who broke up those family units anyway… 👻

I don’t know who needs to hear this but black family cohesion has been decimated for 400+ years. Families were sold off piece by piece. And when they were emancipated they were terrorized for decades and when they got their civil rights the police still flooded their neighborhoods with drugs and raided their homes and broke up their family units, even though whites use drugs at the same rates.

"You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

Clearly there are reasons these 2 white cops had no inhibitions about drawing their guns on a black woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

They had no evidence as they only arrived and were determining the facts and gathering evidence as an accusation was made that she had committed a crime. That is how an investigation is performed and if it was found there was no evidence she would have been left on her way. Instead she was belligerent, uncooperative and assaulted a cop with a car. How many more times does this need to be said before you understand how the real world works?

I am not justifying murder, i am justifying the cops using reasonable force to neutralize a threat of a person using a 1 plus ton vehicle as a weapon. Those are the consequences of her crime that was committed at that point.

Can you justify the cops pulling a gun on the suspect before she drove anywhere?? Can you justify stepping in front of an active vehicle? Your meat sack isn’t a tank trap. So what is the function of stepping in front of the vehicle with a cocked gun pointed at the driver if not escalation?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

I can't say what their operation procedure or training is, however i would assume it is based on the fact she locked herself in the car, was belligerent, refused to cooperate with the investigation. At this point the cops MAY have felt concern she could have had a weapon of the fact she was willing to use her car as a weapon. Either way i believe the cops actions were justified.

Stepping in front of the car is the way of basically a way of saying you are not going anywhere and if you move to hit me its a crime. It is a non threatening blocking action.

• Advertisement

Oh my goodness now we’re imagining into existence a gun she would have lawfully been allowed under the 2nd amendment one which cops in this interaction make no articulable suspicion of.

That we have to imagine things that didn’t happen to defend the cops says a lot about their culpability.

By the way the guy in the video I just shared peeling off from a reckless driving stop was armed to the gills and had a bullet proof vest on and everything. “HE HAS A GUN” blam blam blam no that didn’t happen. Let’s keep our hats on.

Stepping in front of the car is the way of basically a way of saying you are not going anywhere and if you move to hit me its a crime. It is a non threatening blocking action

its what? Non threatening??

Gun in your face really de-escalates a situation doesn’t it. I feel so non-threatened right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement