Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We have consumer protection laws here.

@MRM time to start pushing for the replace or refund part of the 3Rs. They tried repair and it hasn't been permanent so you now start the next step. The garage will try to push back but you have the Sale of goods and supply of services act which trumps anything the garage has.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

Yes but mostly that deals with 30 days, there is a repair or replace clause within reasonable time but was the legal definition of reasonable tim

Maybe get @unkel advise he was successful with legal proceedings with tesla so maybe could go a similar avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@podge1979 - I've taken small claims courts procedures against several companies, including Tesla. All of them were successful. Note though that it was never about any faults with the Tesla car itself or any service issues. Also the small claims courts limit is €2500, which doesn't apply here

Not very helpful now, but you left it way too late. You should have been assertive early on. The sale of goods act (1980) applies here. The seller must repair, replace or refund. They get to choose. And they usually choose in that order. But if the repair isn't forthcoming, you can demand to go to the next step

There are no clear regulatlons or instructions for this, but if a car was off the road for more than a couple of weeks (I presume you got a loaner car of equal status or your rental car fully paid for?) I would send a first email, asking when the car can be expected to be fixed. Another email a week later, complaining it is taking very long and you need the car fixed within a week. A week later stating the deadline has passed and give them another week to start legal action, and then start. But this is not a hard and fast rule and often you get more done by showing up in person, making phone calls, gettin Hyundai Ireland involved. See above about the small claims court, it doesn't apply unfortunately and you would have to employ a solicitor.

A non consumable parts reasonable time line is the life of the vehicle, as there is always some failures they allow one attempt to repair the issue. You aren't going to get a new car if the car is 4 years old, like insurance you'll get similar replacement.

The process is simple. Tell the vendor you want a refund or replacement and keep telling them till you get the refund or replacement. People won't accept the treatment they get from the motor trade from any other industry, faulty clothes are returned to Penny's but they let garages away with ignoring consumer law.

• Advertisement

Not really. See my above answer. The more expensive the item, the more likely the seller will opt to repair. In case of a Penney's t-shirt, repair is never chosen obviously as it will cost them 10 times as much as just replacing it. There is no guidance in the law about how long the seller can take for the process of repair. That's why a history of email exchanges with the buyer increasingly putting pressure and putting up deadlines is critical for when it goes legal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks unkel.

While I didn't say anything about what I've been doing, it's more or less what you've outlined.

I have a very comprehensive timeline with continuous chasing, multiple broken promises, and a deadline on repair which is about to expire. So refund or replacement is next.

Nice one. You didn't say, so I wrongly presumed you hadn't. Time for an ultimate deadline with legal threat now then if you haven't already done so. Solicitors letter after that deadline passes. 90% chance it should be enough for them to bend the knee. If not, unfortunately it would have to go to court.

@unkle fair play. He should get you to send a letter you'd be scarier that a solicitor.

@Genghis

Best of luck in what ever action you take if you need support from someone else who had similar problems to strengthen your case let me know. I know how stressful it was but at least I had an easier out I gave up after 5/6 weeks and cut my losses.

The choice between repair, replace or refund is agreed between the seller and buyer. It's not the sellers choice what happens.

They have had the chance to repair it, the repair didn't work and the law is the 1st repair should be permanent. The next step is refund or replace. What it costs the seller isn't the consumers problem.

• Advertisement

@Del2005 - "The choice between repair, replace or refund is agreed between the seller and buyer. It's not the sellers choice"

Have you any link to that? I always thought it was the seller's choice. But maybe it was just always me giving them the courtesy of listening to their proposal first and going with their choice. Until of course that didn't produce satisfactory results.

Right to a repair or replacement

If something you bought turns out to be faulty, you can decide to get a repair or a replacement.

The seller must repair or replace the product for free, within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to you. A reasonable time means the shortest possible time to fix the issue. For a replacement, you must get the same or a similar product.

The seller must cover any extra installation costs for the replacement.

If it is not possible or too expensive for the seller to resolve the issue, you have the right to either a price reduction or refund.

Right to a refund

You have the right to end the contract and get a refund where:

The seller has not offered a repair or replacement

The fault is serious

The seller cannot fix the issue within a reasonable time

You told the seller you needed the product for a specific date and the seller agreed to this

The same or another issue happens again after the seller repaired or replaced the product

You also have a legal right to return something faulty if the issue occurs within 30 days. You can return the product and get a full refund – see ‘short term right to cancel’ above.

Nowhere does it mention the seller has a choice in what happens. But if you reject the sellers offer to repair an item you will need a good reason when you take it further.

citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/problems-with-faulty-goods/#:~:text=Right%20to%20a%20repair%20or%20replacement,-If%20something%20you&text=The%20seller%20must%20repair%20or,time%20to%20fix%20the%20issue.

The same or another issue happens again after the seller repaired or replaced the product

This is interesting. I always though that any new issues where considered as a new case.

Thanks for digging that up. Yeah I know what citizensinformation said on it, but I have seen incorrect info on that site plenty of times. I was hoping for a direct link to the legislation. Maybe someone has that?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Yeah fair enough.

we cancelled the one through official Hyundai dealer in Galway for 340 Euro. they said it was general check over plus pollen filter - nothing about brake fluid. They also tried to give me the “it needs to be official Hyundai parts for the warranty line” as a reason for the 340

I just cancelled it and we booked in somewhere else for 195 so hopefully they go through the required list and use the required parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

When i had my 1st service, it was certainly free but they did try to upsell and replace pollen filter and front wiper blades, for 160 notes!

Did you see an itemised bill? Thats crazy money for a 10 minute job.

Had 30k service in Galway last year bit high but not extortionate so went with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

They were looking for 60 notes for wiper blades and 50 for the pollen filter plus fitting.

Needless to say I declined their kind offer. Did both the following week for a little under €40

Feck sake. BEVs are low maintenance so let's rip the owners off on spurious items.

The expensive coolant change on ioniqs is already a rip off. They aren't doing much for brand loyalty by taking the piss on services.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭onlymeself

I have this issue since nearly the very beginning with scheduled charging, and also the time changes for no reason. Dealer saying it's no big deal and software update has a fix, same story a few times now. They promise they will have properly researched it before next service and will resolve, but I can see already from research online that it's party of the ICCU issue and they haven't a clue how to fix it. Most worryingly, the auto hold randomly turns off. We have both had cars in the past with auto hold and were used to it always being on, but many times now in the Ioniq 5, the auto hold turned off without pressing the button and we nearly had a tip over it. One day I looked up at last second to realise car was about to hit wall in car park. We both really enjoy the Ioniq 5 for many reasons but there's about 4 major problems we have had that dealer keeps pretending they are sorting out and we've got nowhere with and there's a year gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good looking product.....and that's where it ends.

What's the best quotes people have got on new tyres?

Our 30km service is saying they're below thread and quoting 360 each!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

It is the sellers choice but they can only use each one once and then move to another R

Brake fluid replacement is not required - it should be tested yes and if not degraded then good to go. This brake fluid replacement seems to have come into EV services when the car dealers realised that they were going to lose money on servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

I have been quoted 180 a tyre for Goodyear or similar,

I also got a quoted for less than 100 a tyre for Ceat tyres, a brand I have never heard of and wouldn't take a chance on.

Also I have over 50k done and my tyres are still ok.

So I would go to an independent tyre shop for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Changed our rear tyres at 40km and went for Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV. 180 a tyre a mentioned above. So far after 5kms I've no reason to think they are any worse than the Michelin

They could have sang nice songs to it for all I cared, I just want a stamp on my service logbook as per warranty. All that really needs replacing is pollen filters.

Was in line with other dealers regards price (a little higher) but was the easiest and nearest.

Just to note in EU you can get serviced anywhere just keep the receipts/stamps and use oems parts. Warranty is still valid due to legislation in EU.

• Advertisement

Yeah to be fair - the guys that did it said it didn't need to be done as part of 30k service - they said it should be changed every 2 years rather than as part of certain km requirement.

Great thanks.

I think we found Pirelli for about 235 euro per tyre fitted so we'll do some shopping around.

In general - any tyres which should be as good as the Michelin and any others that should be avoided?

Advertisement