Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Episodes were too short, absolutely nothing at stake and they never played into the tension of who’s a skrull and who’s not.

Felt like the worst show on Disney plus. Had a lot of promise and started well but everything after episode one was bad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's not bad, just never lives up to the potential of the premise. It has some great scenes between characters, and some new characters like Olivia Colman's character is great. Just so much more they could have done with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It won't happen, not unless Kevin Feige is a secret poster, and maybe it's a terrible idea: but perhaps the TV series would work best to lean into the multiverse now established and set the shows on their own universe(s) - rather than stay wedded to the MCU. Make a whole thing of it, that 5, 6 shows centre around a different earth where things went differently enough that if required, something like Secret Invasion might have had the room to spin its own yarn. Not once off cos then the whole thing becomes frivolous, but have a TV timeline that can bring some crossovers and Big Events of its own.

Seems like the TV shows are too hamstrung by either having to tee up something movie related, or because they're movie characters everything has this sheen of redundancy about it cos nothing is allowed stick. Netflix's MCU of sorts worked when it did because it was its own ecosystem, and we saw the ceiling of its stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Henry Cavill to join the MCU as Captain Britain.

Edit: I thought this was from a credible source, turns out it is just a rumour.

Post edited by Brief_Lives on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Isn't the exact opposite complaint being also currently made about the TV shows? That too much is happening in them that impacts the audience who do watch.

I don't think shows in their own universes will work at all. There is no baseline to work off for the audience of who is an isnt a hero at a given point in time. You also fall into the same issue DC has - why does anyone care what happens to a character or who is or isnt a Skrull if you're just being introduced to them.

Netflix's MCU worked because of it was something new - it was MCU for adults. I'd argue that if you tone down the violence and adult themes of the shows to the level of the MCU they wouldnt have been liked as much as they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭McFly85

I feel like after Endgame was the time for a massive breather. Let the world settle down and come to terms with itself post-blip. Have a couple of films maybe deal with this and not be connected to a bigger story(I know far from home kind of did this, but not really).

But with Endgame coinciding with Disney+, we got the opposite. More stories, more superheroes and supervillains, to the point that it starts to feel crowded, even with the multiverse(incidentally this feels like less of a major story hook than a cheap device for cameos).

Everything is less grounded now to the point where it doesn’t seem possible for the Earth to be a functioning place with world ending events on a regular basis.

Would like to see a reset of sorts after the next big event, something that removes most superpowered people from the equation so they can start fresh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Isn't the exact opposite complaint being also currently made about the TV shows? That too much is happening in them that impacts the audience who do watch.

Dunno can't keep track of prevailing complaints of others; but I do see that the TV series are floundering and really failing to ignite the broader audience's enthusiasm, even those long-term MCU viewers who have been here since Iron Man / The Incredible Hulk. And if recent comments are taken as gospel, Disney's Overlord isn't exactly stoked about the succession of flubs either. Loki Season 2 has definitely restored my energy but beyond that ... ?

You also fall into the same issue DC has - why does anyone care what happens to a character or who is or isnt a Skrull if you're just being introduced to them.

Well then if you can't do something the same size and scope as the blockbusters - then that's even more justification towards the redundancy of the TV shows linking with the cinematic aspects, isn't it? Netflix's shows worked when they did - cos they were definitely imperfect vehicles; hello Iron Fist - because they defined an enclosed scope, limitations and perspectives. Jessica Jones was liked because it was a smartly written show about emotional trauma, PTSD, manipulation - and even a degree of "who can you trust?" funnily enough, with David Tenant's Kilgrave a chilling villain who used people like puppets. I was cold on it at the time, but it didn't lack impact; fundamentally the writing was good. None of these concepts are worth a damn if the writing's total shít.

I don't agree though that without heroes present, you can't engender a sense of shock or tension around the Skrulls - there's an entire sub-genre of the espionage genre about hidden agents, sleeper cells and so forth. Just this year we had Slow Horses' Season 2 tackle that plot. Secret Invasion had the template, right there. How do you make an audience care? Well, again that's just down to good writing, 'cos good writing and execution will get an audience to invest in anything within reason. Good writing got audiences to love a talking racoon and sentient tree after all. MCU HQ could have done something clever with Secret Invasion; instead it took every least-effort decision possible, executed with a minimal level of panache.

Now, to be fair one must acknowledge CoVid having a hand on these productions, but ye gods this is yet another MCU show that I'm just not inclined to keep watching because it's doing nothing with a killer premise. "shape-shifting aliens take over the world covertly" should have been an easy win - instead we've had ... ... fffsssshhhhhhggghhhhh ... that's me blowing a raspberry while shrugging my shoulders, lol.

Winter Soldier is the apt comparison here: an outing that did something with its paranoia over who might or mightn't be HYDRA - bleeding even into Agents of SHIELD (not coincidentally the moment that show took off). Secret Invasion has had the air of something that just expected its audiences to show up and be happy Sam Jackson was on-screen.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Anyone seen this.... It's hilarious..

"sadamantium".. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I fully agree that Secret Invasion could have been improved with better writing.

My point was that there is zero need for your solution of having the show in another universe to do that.

Your example of Netflix's shows are exactly the proof of that, where they could do their own thing within the same universe. Some of the Disney+ shows and even recent movies have/could be basically treated the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

All depends on the writing and to a point, the audience taste. Two fairly stand alone series recently were Moon Knight and Ms Marvel, Ms Marvel for me worked and Moon Knight didn't, yet you'll find people out there who loved the former and didn't care for the latter. Agents of SHIELD got it right early on, tied itself into the main Avengers storyline with "Nice to know" information not "Need to know" like what the Disney+ shows have been doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Rumours abound that Vanessa Kirby and Joseph Quinn (Eddie Munson from STRANGER THINGS) are the top choices for Sue and Johnny Storm.

Supposedly an actor has been cast as Ben Grimm (before the strike I assume) and that Ebon Moss-Bachrach is a top contender for an unknown role.

I hope Doctor Doom is in this movie and that the role goes to an actual East European actor. Would like Doom being introduced sooner though like T’Challa was. Maybe being threat in the shadows for Captain America or the Thunderbolts.

Vanessa Kirby - ohhh no..

Jseph Quinn, I have only seen him in Stranger Things, I thought he was fun in that, has anyonoe seen him in anything else?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lot of rumours about Matt Smith as Reed Richards, who could absolutely do it in his sleep, but I think the Krasinski fanboys will not be happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Theres something about Matt Smith that I just don't like, even though I've enjoyed most things I've seen him in.

I don't know who I'd go with for Reed Richards, hes a fairly vanilla character. Stanley Tucci would have been my first pick, but hes too old (and bald).

my wildcard casting - Sasha Baron Cohen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

right now there are lots of rumours about lots of people. Only read yesterday the QUaid fella (The Boys, Lower Decks...) is the pick for Johnny Storm. Too many rumours going around to consider anything as 'likely' or nailed on atm, imo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ah yeah of course. Especially as right now, I don't think actors could even sign a contract, even if they wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tucci was already used in Captain America 1 as a human character.

Smith was a good Doctor in Doctor Who but can't see him as Reed.

Jack Quaid would be a Scream as Jonny Storm. He's certainly somebody with good stock at the moment.

Mind you, nobody is going to sit at the contract table until the strike is resolved.

my 0.2 cents... Quaid would be a disaster physically-wise for the gig. Evans ruined that for everyone. He was a perfect cast.

I haven't seen much of Smith, but his snarling first half of the season performance in House of the Dragon, was class. the writing in the second half let him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The fandom seems to be underwhelmed to the idea as Smith as Reed which is just Lol to me.

Smith can do a prick, aloof, charming, genius and heroic all in one. He is Reed. Fans never learn.

I do like though what I'm hearing about the film, as if true they're going big from the off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Cotts72

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You love to see it. Let’s hope it’s a successful unionisation attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Absolutely. Disneys reliance on these artists has reached extremes. Something’s gotta give, and hopefully it’s sooner rather than later.

You’d really hope, if successful it’s a win, win for everyone. Better conditions for the artists, Less dependence of CG with better graphics and overall end product.

The deadlines some of those guys are working is ridiculous, and it’s not like once you get a project over the line, you have a break, no! there’s a whole list of projects coming off the production line.

It’s not a competition, but the VFX artists seem to get zero attention for the conditions they work, way less than actors and writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'd also say it must be completely exhausting and dispiriting when their VFX work gets destroyed cause they get moved around projects too frequently. Eg the disaster of Quantummania. And that's to do with the time constraints too etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,062 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sasha as Doom or Reed?

Irish actor Éanna Hardwicke, upcoming but unknown would be an interesting good Doom I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Quaid responded to those rumours fairly quick and said it wasn’t true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Some reports that Nicolas Cage join the MCU reprising the role of Ghost Rider for Secert Wars.

Eric Bana must be wondering when he will get the call.

David Hasselhoff will be pissed if he doesn't get the call to appear as the multiverse Nick Fury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,062 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Josh Hartnett latest name linked for Doctor Doom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

The Echo and Agatha shows remain entities that leave me with an abiding sense of ... "but why?" Can't for the life of my figure why these shows were made, beyond the previous saturation policy. Maybe I'm missing some noisy, significant cohort of Echo fans shouting for their favourite to arrive.

Advertisement