Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting of Ta'Kiya Young

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

The 2nd amendment states the right to bare arms, however this is regulated by state and federal law in the US and some states have specific laws for gun ownership.

Also as a cop in the US when faced with a hostile situation they will use caution and experience if they feel there may be a larger threat. They did have reasonable articullable suspicion of a crime having being committed based on a report that she stole from a shop so yeah. Also if the person was found to made an erroneous or false report there could be legal consequences for that person.

I do not know which incident you are referring to about a guy with a gun, but it has nothing to do with this specific situation.

Yeah gun in face cos she started moving. Conseuqnces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

“ the police flooded their communities with drugs “

conspiracy theory room is that way

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It shows that cops have choices for how they respond to detainments. They don’t have to use lethal force.

The 2nd amendment states the right to bare arms

i think you should read it again.

Yeah they exercised their choice to use lethal force to prevent her becoming a bigger issue to them or the general public. They couldn't use taser due to her locking herself in car, not to mention how ineffective tasers actually are. Case point was in the last week a guy in 60s sitting with handgun sitting in deck chair front garden, cops approached him with tasers, 3 strikes and did nothing to the guy, he points gun at cops, the the cops put him down. So taser as option is out.

They were a 1 car/van unit so couldn't effectively block with vehicle, was a car behind her car, cops car was to side of her car, cop stood in front of her car to complete a pinning maneuver most likely while waiting for another unit for support.

So again i ask you what else were the cops supposed to do, because she has no rights to leave the scene at that point as she had been lawfully detained for questioning in relation to the alleged crime of theft for purposes of investigation and the reasonable articullable suspicion was that she committed theft.

As for the 2nd amendment this is the literal piece on it "The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 

Yes is says they have the right to bare arms however there are stipulations to bare arms as determined by state and federal laws which is allowed and voted for on state and federal level.

• Advertisement

So they chose to kill her.

Thanks for admitting that.

Couldn't taze the cop who drove off from a reckless driving stop either, but they didn't choose to kill him over it. And he was armed!

Yes is says they have the right to bare arms 

No.

Read it again. Don't just copy it, drink it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You're advocating here for a "shoot to kill" policy : that cops have the right to open fire on a person who attempts to flee them, even someone unarmed and being questioned over a relatively minor misdemeanour such as shoplifting or a parking violation.

In most countries in the world, such a shoot to kill policy would be 100% illegal.

They chose to stop her with reasonable force as she was acting unreasonable. So yeah no problem admitting that.

Oh about the rights not being infringed, well some bad news for you, this has been debated in the supreme court many times and there are exceptions to the right to bare arms. Such as convicted felon, drug user, requiring a licence, concealed carry permit etc. which are determined on state and federal level.

That document is 247 years old i believe and written at a time where muskets and ball shot were used, things have changed over the years and yes there are some that think the same way you do to follow the exact wording however some adaption has been necessary over the years.

There's nothing reasonable about point your guns at someone for being suspected of stealing liquor.

Oh about the rights not being infringed

No, about your atrocious spelling. Actually absorb it, learn it, know it. "Bare arms" what will you be an armchair expert in next week!

No im not advocating for "shoot to kill" policy, because if i was then all suspects could be shot. She got shot cos she drove her car into a cop, using it as a weapon which is assault with a deadly weapon. She was armed, with the car and the cops responded in kind which ended with her dead there by neutralizing the threat she posed.

• Advertisement

Waffle. They pointed guns at her before she went anywhere. They put themselves in front of the car. They did everything they could to give themselves permission to snuff out a black woman.

Again trying your best to spin the situation as you refuse to accept the fact she was shot for using her car as a weapon to assault the cop. She was armed with a deadly weapon, the car to assault a cop. Anything can be classified as a deadly weapon if it can be used to injure or kill someone.

Hell i could compact sand into the toe end of a sock, tie a knot in the sock with the compacted sand, now i have a kosch that hits like a piece of concrete that can kill someone.

If personal insults about my spelling is the best you can do then it proves how weak your arguments are.

The cop in front of the car had his gun in hand near waist and raised it to face her directly 1 second after she started the car in motion.

Try again.

What it looks like when a cop is trained the same way these cops are but doesn't have the motivation to kill a black person:

They wanted to pull that trigger on Ta'Kiya Young.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The officer had no choice but to take out his firearm as a means of ensuring she did not attempt to flee the scene.

Sure he did. He had lots of choices. In most parts of the world the police don't actually take out firearms when dealing with potential shoplifters because it is rather obviously a completely stupid over the top escalation.

She was an idiot, thankfully in most of the world that is not a capital crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭sekiro

You'd think that with the video evidence people would not put so much effort into tying themselves in knots trying to make this a racism issue or any other kind of issue to be honest. If this lady had complied then she would be alive right now and if she hadn't stole anything from the store she might even be able to get a handy payout via a lawsuit or online begging bowl site such as gofundme or similar.

Imagine you are an American citizen, you are female and you are pregnant, you know that the police can be a bit trigger happy to say the least. The police approach your car and intend obviously to ask you a few questions.

Instead of protecting yourself and your unborn child and just talking to the officers, you decide to start shouting at them and then drive your vehicle directly at one of the armed law enforcement officers. I'm sorry but that's Darwin Award level behaviour.

I know it's hard for some people to accept but personal responsibility has to be a factor in the discussion here. If this was some famous right wing loon driving their car at a police officer and getting shot dead then we'd all agree that this person was a moron and got found out. Oh, you decided to drive directly at an armed police officer? How does anyone think that situation is going to end. I didn't think leopards would eat MY face!

I don't really get why so many of you are absolutely tying yourself in knots in order to ignore the obvious facts here.

The police are called on a potential shoplifter. If shoplifting is indeed illegal then the police are now obligated to question the accuser and the accused. I think we are still in the world of sanity in concluding that this is nothing to crazy so far? The police officers approach the accused. The accused starts freaking out and shouting at the officers. The accused then drives their car at the officers. This tragically ends with the accused being shot.

There are really only a couple of logical ways out of this scenario.

1. People shouldn't shoplift.
    2. People shouldn't be allowed to accuse others of shoplifting.
    3. Shoplifting should not be illegal.

Meeting any of these criteria would mean that the situation never happens. Unfortunately people do shoplift, it is illegal and a shop owner is entitled to accuse someone of potential theft.

Next.

1. Police should not have guns.
    2. Police should not have the right to approach a suspect.
    3. A suspect should not try to flee when approached by police.
    4. Police should allow a suspect fleeing in a vehicle to just go ahead.

Meeting any of these criteria would allow this woman to survive, provided she does not have a fatal car crash while speeding away from police. Unfortunately the police in the US do have guns and every US citizen knows this and they will not just allow you to speed off in a vehicle.

Trying to make any kind of political point scoring out of this situation is a waste of effort. Everyone can see the video. Everyone with even an ounce of common sense knows that the stupid actions of this woman are the reason why she is dead.

I look forward to watching the riots and protests on the news.

ah yes cos it had to be about race, there couldn't possibly be any other reason.

Watch the video. You haven't watched the video.

She didn't assault the officer either, she veered hard right, and drove away at a slow rate of speed, away from the officer, who has to continually try jumping in front of the car to justify killing her:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

She acted irresponsibly, it not stupidly. If I were pregnant, or had one of my children in the car with me and I was pulled over with a gun pointed at me, my first instinct would be to protect my child or unborn child, by following the requests of these police officers.

Are you a mother?

Sometimes protecting your kids and your unborn means fleeing:

Shooting a van full of kids because their authority was questioned.

Let's not pretend like you would have handled any given police interaction perfectly. It's useless conjecture.

• Advertisement

That's a lot of waffle to say "It's a police terror state so just comply"

Imagine you are an American citizen, you are female and you are pregnant, you know that the police can be a bit trigger happy to say the least. 

Yes I am a mother.

All you've shown me is another situation that escalated out of control because the person in question did not follow police instructions.

Ok ill play this game with you.

First capture 13 seconds in, he has gun near waist height, partner near her door has nothing aimed at her.

Second clip 14 seconds in, gun now belly/chest height however pointed down/away from suspect however she started moving car into cop.

Third clip 15 seconds in she was in motion with no intention of stopping and cop raised gun to meet her and then shoots right after as she refused to stop as commanded.

3 seconds, it took 3 second for HER to escalate the situation and get shot. 3 seconds for her to make a decision that forced that cop to fire on her all because she refused to cooperate with an investigation.

Very easy for you to say they should have taken other actions, however you are not in their position, you do not know how many other experiences like this they have had.

You do not know if they are racist yet claim they are and it was a racially motivated shoot, its very easy to make a claim from the sidelines when its not your life in jeopardy by a person who refuses to stop and simply engage in a talk to determine if there was a crime. If she engaged in talk with them and no crime was determined, she most likely would have been on her way home, instead she acted unreasonably and is dead because of HER actions.

The poster you are responding to KNOWS all of this. They just don't want to "lose" the argument.

In their mind these officers have been waiting their whole careers for this moment. In the mind of someone like @Overheal they wanted to kill this lady and finally took that opportunity.

Of course, it could have all been avoided by the woman just calmly talking to them and proving that she hadn't stolen anything (should be easy enough) and then going about her life as normal. Imagine how crushingly disappointed those officers would have been when the suspect complied and didn't act like a total moron.

You'll never convince some people that personal responsibility is a factor in these situations. It was always those racist police officers who waited for their moment.

I wonder if @Overheal knows that US police often kill white people too? Would "but it's disproportionate" would be the response? Would all this be fine if the police were just killing people at levels in line with the demographics of the US? Does the "disproportionate" argument apply to ONLY race? What about age and gender? The problem isn't that they are shooting people but rather they are shooting too many from one demographic and too few from another? Would absolutely love to hear certain people's takes on this but of course that's not going to happen.

I would guess that this lady is one of the very few women killed by US police. Despite making up approx 50% of the population the victim of police shootings tends to be male in 90+% of cases. The police are sexist and specifically misandrist?

Can you find me any video where a white person flees from white cops in the same manner and gets similarly executed? 😶

That would really rule out the race issue wouldn't it.

And what triggered that? - the person in question did not follow police instructions.

Then others in the car appear to rush the police officer. Whether minors or not, they threatened the police officer.

You think a decade old example of someone ALSO refusing to comply with police officers after committing a crime (71 in a 55 zone would be dangerous driving) proves your point?

Oh I'm just driving 71 in a 55 zone with 5 children in the vehicle. No personal responsibility. Instead of just accepting the speeding ticket I think I'll argue and try to flee. No personal accountability. Now the officer has to chase them, totally safe with 5 kids in the car, then the mother gets out and argues with the police and tries to run away while her kid attacks the officer. All perfectly rational behavior. Now lets go on a high speed chase into a populated area while driving into wrong way traffic. Those bloody bastard cops can't you see how wrong and awful these police truly are!

Of course this mother of the year was just taking her kids on an educational road trip. Lesson learned: your mom is a complete moron who almost got you all killed.

You are not a serious person if you genuinely think that this proves any point you are trying to make.

@Beefcake82 I think this demonstrates perfectly why it's not really worth arguing the points with Overheal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Maybe she thought the best course of action was to get away from Starsky & Hutch as they were pointing guns at her for absolutely no reason.

Maybe she felt she was about to be executed?

Oh.

• Advertisement

I am sure there are some, however they have nothing to do with this specific person and not relevant to this interaction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement