Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting of Ta'Kiya Young

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭noc1980

Per encounter, black cops shoot more unarmed black people than white cops. You won't hear that on CNN and MSNBC though. They'd rather tell black people that they're perpetual victims of racism from white cops. What does that lead to? More police encounters where black people, feeling they're being victimised, refuse to cooperate with cops, resulting in more bloodshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And what triggered that? - the person in question did not follow police instructions.

Neither do a lot of people in a lot of similar situations that don't end up shot.

They wanted to kill a black woman and get that tat. I hope the internal investigation checks these officers for gang tattoos.

Sweeney hadn’t known about the tattoo in advance. But he did know that the Los Angeles sheriff’s department had a history of violent gang-like cliques that glorify violence for its own sake and pressure deputies to break the rules so they can prove their bona fides and “earn their ink” in the form of just such hidden tattoos.

Nnnnnoooooo! Couldn't be

Drove off slowly too and with care for the officer's safety.

Per encounter, black cops shoot more unarmed black people than white cops. 

Prove it. She didn't shoot anybody. She didn't have a gun. Relevance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

Don't need to prove anything to a race baiter, as i already pointed out each situation is different and not relevant to this woman making poor choices that resulted in her death.

Completely missing the point, OP never mentioned her having a gun,just pointed out black cops shoot more black people than white cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭sekiro

According to an earlier post on this thread US police have killed 2,767 white folks since 2017. That's around 460 per year. Is there much need to sift through all of those cases or do you think it's safe to assume that some of those will be at least similar to this situation? Traffic stops seem to account for about 7% of police killings so that's approximately 32 white people killed during traffic stops annually. That would pretty much rule out the race issue for me.

To me the only real argument that can be made here is that the percentage of deaths is disproportionate with regards to race.

Which means you need to ignore that it's disproportionate with regards to gender and age (and other factors I am sure).

It also implies that there is a level of proportionate killing that you would be OK with?

So nothing then, just personal abuse. Okay.

Not really disproving there isn't a race issue with policing in America then are you.

That cop was on the hood of a moving car, what was different about that situation, beside the cop having no interest in being part of the gang at the precinct with tattoos for killing civilians??

Completely missing the point, OP never mentioned her having a gun,

This hasn't stopped you from inventing her having a gun out of whole cloth:

I can't say what their operation procedure or training is, however i would assume it is based on the fact she locked herself in the car, was belligerent, refused to cooperate with the investigation. At this point the cops MAY have felt concern she could have had a weapon

• Advertisement

According to an earlier post on this thread US police have killed 2,767 white folks since 2017. That's around 460 per year. Is there much need to sift through all of those cases or do you think it's safe to assume that some of those will be at least similar to this situation?

Sift away, every situation is different, to hear the Back The Blue posters tell it.

Where is the personal abuse, you are race baiting. All of your arguments are based on the fact that the cops are inherently racist and shot the woman cos she was black. You keep avoiding the fact she assaulted a cop with a car, claiming the cops made the situation up as an excuse to, as you put it, "execute" the woman because of the color of her skin, when in fact it had to do with the fact she used a car as a weapon.

You consistently failed to prove they are racist, and in fact you are not in a position to say without doubt they are, you base this soley that they are white cops who happened to shoot a black woman while again ignoring the facts.

I never said racism isn't an issue in the US, it can be an issue in a lot of places, however racism is not a factor here based on face value evidence of how the suspect and the cops acted. Until an investigation proves the cops are racist then they are entitled to the same presumption of innocence as everyone else is entitled to.

The fact your implicit bias is on display for everyone by your own writing sheds a light into how unreasonable you are, "gang at the precinct with tattoos for killing civilians", wow not everyone that has tattoos is racist, not every cop is racist yet you seem to think that white cops with tattoos and guns area gang out to execute black folks. Interesting point of view, I could almost see it as a racist point of view looking down on a demographic of people based on the color of their skin.

If we were to reference MLK jnr about judging people on the color of their character and not the color of their skin, this woman's character was seriously flawed, she played a stupid game and won the ultimate stupid prize and the people who will suffer are her child that will never be born, her family, her friends and those cops that were put in that position. Weirdly enough there are many many cops who go out to help people and dont want to take a life but do so where necessary.

Perhaps you should spend less time focusing on peoples skin color and learn to worry about the presented facts. If evidence was to be submitted down the road the cops were secret card carrying members of the KKK or some other hate group, then i might change my opinion of them, but for now they did a job most do not want to do, a very thankless job in a country where there is a lot of danger in doing that job.

You keep avoiding the fact she assaulted a cop with a car

You didn't watch the video, no she didn't. She clearly and visibly cut her wheel hard to the left of frame (her right) before lifting her foot off the brake so the car would roll forward in Drive. You act like she just slammed down the pedal and wanted to send him flying.

Watch the video. He didn't even hesitate in killing her.

You don't really want to bring MLK Jr. Into this. Right wing nut jobs think they know what King said, and I have news for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭sekiro

I am not going to sift through 2,767 cases so we can just agree to disagree on that. I think at least some of those 2,767 deaths with be wrongful in one way or another. Just a hunch. Maybe every single one of these 2,767 white people deserved it, I do not know. I will say that I do not believe that the government or the police should be killing citizens at all but that is whole other debate.

I would say it's pretty interesting that you've developed this whole narrative around the officers just waiting for their opportunity to commit a racist murder but I assume you just think that when officers kill a white person this is all part of the job. The added charge of racism kind of means that we're almost letting officers walk away without too much scrutiny for all those white people they killed. They could kill mothers, fathers, sons and daughters and that's kind of fine if they are white but if they are not white then for sure that cop was motivated by racism. This feels very false to me.

I will ask you some direct questions and then will leave it there. You can reply or don't. The reason why I ask these is that you seem so focused in on the racism issue but we know that the police are killing plenty of white people too and we're kind of just ignoring that for the purposes of making an accusation of racism. I know we aren't saying "all those whites deserved it" because we honestly don't know if they did or did not.

To me the only real argument that can be made here is that the percentage of deaths is disproportionate with regards to race. Is your racism accusation based on this factor?

Are you equally outraged that these deaths are also disproportionate with regards to gender and age?

Is there a level of proportionate killing that you would be OK with?

If you think police killing citizens is NEVER justified then why focus on race at all?

I am not going to sift through 2,767 cases so we can just agree to disagree on that. 

Then don't offer to. Clearly you cannot make the argument you would like to make.

I have watched the video, many times, in fact i rebutted a previous post of your using clips from the same video, shows how much attention you are paying or trying to avoid the fact your arguments are without merit. Of course he didn't hesitate to shoot her, his life was put in danger by her.

Your strawman arguments are lacking in substance, you have 1 string to your bow about race and nothing else to provide except beating the drum about the wicked white cops.

Oh so i am a right wing nut job now? Wow and here is me thinking voting in favor of gay marriage and yes in the abortion referendum made me a right wing bigot. I am actually a centrist, i can be for or against points for either side, i look at situations by fact and judge each on own merit. Handy skill to have, try it out sometime, you would be amazed by the results.

Also "the King" is Elvis, MLK jnr, was just a cool guy who fought for civil rights for black folks at a time when it was dangerous to do so and yet had influence through avenues with white people who supported them when most closed the door in their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Has to be a rookie police error

To stand in front of a car with irate driver and engine running

Vastly increases chances of one either getting shot or run over

Also "the King" is Elvis

The **** is this absurdism? Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It's in the name.

yet had influence through avenues with white people

He was assassinated by the whites. Stop it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Bottom line pulling a gun on an unarmed shoplifter is an over the top response ,

• Advertisement

Ah yes a few bad apples means they all bad. Of course, I suppose the same way that all priests are pedophiles, all rapists are men, all nurses are women, all bikers are criminals etc.

Yeah there are racist cops, however the majority are not, yet again using singular cases to paint a whole group as abusive executioners that are gang members.

Its called a joke. Humor generally great to defusing situations, sometimes does not work with those who are unreasonable.

So all whites got together and said "that MLK jrn guy needs to die" ?

Yes he had white supporters, Gene Roddenberry happened to be one such supporter. When Gene hired Nichelle Nichols for the role of Uhura, the studio execs were against the idea of a black woman in star trek cast on main crew roster. Gene wanted her there, they were also against George Takei due to his Japanese heritage.

Nichelle wanted to leave after the first season and gave Gene her notice, he asked her to think about it, some days later Nichelle met MLK at some event and he convinced her to stay on in Star Trek as Gene had provided an opportunity for black people most wouldn't get. She stayed and had that famous kiss with Shatner, the kiss between Kirk and Uhura nearly never happened as the studio execs were against it, obviously racists.

Shatner messed up multiple takes to keep the kiss in and as too much time was wasted the kiss stayed, the first televised interracial kiss. Star trek was the only white show MLK and his family would sit down and watch together and he appreciated the support Roddenberry gave to the black community along with the other cast members.

So yeah MLK has white support, you need to do your homework more.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

"The 2nd worst day in the history of black men in America was the day their African breathern sold them to the white man. Their worst day was the the day the white man gave them their freedom"- St Francis of Assisi.

Its called a joke. Humor generally great to defusing situations, sometimes does not work with those who are unreasonable.

You think anything about this situation is funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭suvigirl

That is one of the fcuking stupidest things I have seen a police man do. Probably scared to pull the trigger.

suppose you would be happy if he hadve got himself killed here, so long as he didn't shoot anyone......

Ah yes a few bad apples means they all bad.

This old Back the Blue RWNJ line

These are bad apples from rotten trees.

"The original phrase being, 'A rotten apple quickly infects its neighbor,'" Zimmer told ABC News. "Historically, there is a version of this proverb going way back; the earliest is from 1340 in English and probably earlier in Latin."

Throughout the 19th century, a version of the original was frequently used in Sunday sermons: "As one bad apple spoils the others, so you must show no quarter to sin or sinners."

Nowadays you take it to mean a few bad apples doesn't spoil the bunch, which is utterly bananas, propagated by a movement of orange buffoons, especially when the police department has a policy of letting rotten apples show off their gang signs.

Spare me your fake outrage, you know perfectly well i was not making fun of the shooting situation, just the absurdity of your failed arguments. 😂

You were making light of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Don't lie.

Prove they are all bad, oh wait you can't so you just cast aspersions about all members.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

His life was put in danger??

And shooting her dead would have put her foot on the brakes? It would have stopped the car?

F*ck right off with those blatant lies. She rolled the car in drive and he could have got out of the way easily.

Absolutely disgusting people in this thread justifying this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement