Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

2022 not good enough for you? You look it up then so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Considering all those articles are embroiled in contemporary culture war nonsense no it doesn't adequately tell us about the contemporary thinking of the 1970s when Title IX was passed. Don't shift your burden unto me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

The "trans debate" only exists because it's incredibly useful to govmt as an endless supply of sensationalistic headlines that will distract the plebs away from their everyday concerns (housing, health, hate-speech legislation, unchecked immigration, etc.) Without that purpose, it would vanish overnight and only receive the same amount of MSM coverage and NGO funding as any other group accounting for less than 0.1% of the population. Life's cruel, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The amount of trans people in the world is tiny. The insane ideas that that they are a huge threat to the world is absolute nonsense. It is a complete sideshow to people's everyday lives and convenient for many politicians (mainly UK and US but a few Irish) to have a group to vilify with huge hatred and bigotry.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

The percentage isn't relevant, though.

The women who lost out to Lia Thomas, for example, won't be thinking about numbers like 0.5%, or whatever the percentage may be. They'll be thinking about the loss suffered in their professional athletic career to biological males -- a real and tangible effect that has impacted too many women.

Of course it's relevant. The way everyone talks around here trans women are going to be taking over every sport and no cis women will be left. Complete and utter bullshìt. The percentage of trans women in the world is tiny. The percentage of trans women who are elite sportsperson is tiny too. Its very relevant. The numbers of cis women and trans women competing at elite sports are vastly vastly different.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It really isn't hatred or bigotry to say categories exist for a reason. If anyone competes in a category that they're not eligible for then it's going to cause problems for a) themselves or b) the other competitors.

Let me put it like this then: even if there were only 1 case of a biological male taking the top spot in professional sport against women, that would be still be a case worth fighting against.

Injustice is injustice, irrespective of whether we're talking about 500 cases, 50 cases, or even just a single isolated case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Because nobody argued that discrimination on the ground of gender leads to the conclusion that men can just identify as women?

You used the example of gender quotas in politics, and the point being made was that for the purposes of that particular act, it wouldn’t matter that the person was transgender, the obligation is on political parties who wish to qualify for funding, that 30% of their candidates are of one gender or the other, and many parties exceeded the quota, because the percentage itself is the aim, not the purpose. The purpose is to achieve gender equality. It’s just as relevant here, it’s called positive action, or positive discrimination, and it’s permitted in law in the same way as discrimination is permitted in law provided it is the only reasonable means of achieving a legitimate aim.

If you’d wanted a better and more recent example in a US context, the recent decision by the US Supreme Court that colleges couldn’t use race in their affirmative action policies is a good one:

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-court-affirmative-action-college-race-f83d6318017ec9b9029b12ee2256e744

The colleges were basically engaged in tokenism, flouting the intent of the Civil Rights Acts to qualify for Federal funding. Quotas are a terrible idea too as they’re just tokenism by a different name, and they’re just as easily manipulated in ways that weren’t intended, by parties who are willing to do so in order to appear as though they’re acting in accordance with the intent of the act, while under closer scrutiny, they’re not.

Much like sports governing bodies which claim to uphold human rights principles of non-discrimination, while at the same time introducing blanket bans and restrictions which are claimed to be protecting women’s sports, but in reality are excluding people who they determine don’t qualify as women. The term for that is indirect discrimination:

Indirect discrimination happens when there is a policy that applies in the same way for everybody but disadvantages a group of people who share a protected characteristic, and you are disadvantaged as part of this group. If this happens, the person or organisation applying the policy must show that there is a good reason for it.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/what-direct-and-indirect-discrimination

• Advertisement

The percentage isn't relevant, though.

Funny you took the exact opposite stance recently in a similar style of argument when you found it politically expedient.

You found pointing out the percentage to be entirely relevant, why not now?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Trans people have been cynically identified as a useful distraction, they are not any threat at all. The threat are the NGOs funding and MSM fueling the movement that "champions trans rights". Those public-facing activists are just social studies graduates who are on a high after getting any kind of job!

The threat is people championing equal rights? Huh?

It is if you align yourself to movements that oppose equal rights and equality.

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You align yourself to a movement that opposes women's rights.

There’s no conflict between them though? If anything, the laws which are being introduced with claims of protecting women and girls do exactly the opposite:

It also provides a sex dispute verification process whereby any individual can “dispute” the sex of any female student athlete in the state of Idaho and require her to undergo intrusive medical procedures to verify her sex, including gynaecological exams. Male students in Idaho are not subject to a similar dispute process.

https://wp.api.aclu.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/20-35813_Documents.pdf

"Equality" for biological males to compete against women?

Yes - I'm 100% against that "equality", because that equality is unfair, illegitimate, and misogynistic.

This is all part of the world that you have helped to create. There was no need for sex testing for students in the olden days. At worst, a birth certificate, which at that time recorded your sex as observed at birth, would be all that's needed.

There shouldn't be any need for sex testing except at the very highest level like the Olympics, and at that level, surveys have shown that female athletes support them, because they understand their purpose. The tests themselves are totally non intrusive (as opposed to the drug testing regime).

That’s some powerful butterfly effect rhetoric you’re employing there plodder 😁

Were I to even entertain the notion for more than a minute though, it would be obvious that it’s not part of a world I helped create at all, as though any one of us are responsible for the freak of nature who imagines that they can justify sex testing in such a manner as to make it acceptable, to anyone! It’s not acceptable, it’s not justifiable, it’s just wrong. The fact that even one female athlete supports the practice, doesn’t justify the practice, it doesn’t make it any more acceptable than it isn’t already. It’s the kind of justification I’d expect of an abusive prick who blames their victims for making him treat them like shìt - look what you made me do. I didn’t do shìt to make some abusive prick think sex testing was either necessary or acceptable.

No need for sex testing students in the olden days? That’s because in the olden days, girls didn’t participate in sports! That sort of reasoning you’re employing is like a dictator justifying persecuting people by arguing he wouldn’t have to persecute them if they didn’t exist! It’s completely unreasonable and irrational and would never be acceptable as justification for inhumane treatment of anyone!

No plodder, rather than employing a manipulative strategy by way of making an argument, I don’t accept that I created the world as it is. I was born into it, and that gives me two choices - accept all the benefits I take for granted and go to my grave having achieved nothing, or, do whatever I can to create a better society by learning from the mistakes of previous generations.

Compulsory sterilisation for example, that wasn’t a mistake, that was entirely deliberate, perpetuated and accepted by people who were in no position to object, perpetrated by people who wanted to ensure their own dominant position in society by ensuring there wouldn’t be a next generation of people they deemed undesirable and unfit for human civilisation:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization

Don’t say the G word though, because that’s terribly uncivil, and hyperbolic, like accusing people who don’t agree with you of engineering their own demise is so much more reasonable 🤔

It’s a bloody convenient argument if it wasn’t so blatantly absurd.

You could be talking about anyone in this thread.

Come on people lighten up, everyone should thank this post: everyone in this thread cares about women's rights, we just disagree on what form that is.

Post edited by Overheal on

• Advertisement

It's not the butterfly effect, OEJ. Don't worry, I'm not saying you personally are exclusively or even largely responsible for all of this. I'm just saying that the reason why there are sex tests in the state of Idaho, is in reaction to the ideology you subscribe to, which states that males should be allowed to compete in any women's sporting event. If everyone accepted the sex they were born in, for the purpose of sport (or even just some sport), then there would be no need for sex tests. Action and reaction.

Women have been playing sport for decades. Granted the range of sports available was a lot more limited in this country, and as you know it's over 50 years since Title IX was signed into law by Richard Nixon which had the effect of massively expanding women's sport there. It's no accident that the US has dominated women's soccer until recently, with Europe only catching up in the tournament just passed.

They’re not a reaction to any ideology I subscribe to though, the idea existed since the very beginnings of women’s sports - women were originally excluded from playing sports, then when women established their own sports organisations, they were subsumed into existing sports organisations, and sex testing was introduced by means of reasoning the remote possibility that there might be a man among them. Crude nude parades were just the beginning, and the technology evolved to the point where the more sophisticated it became, the more trouble it caused when it became clear that the tests were throwing up all sorts of ethical questions and undesirable results!

The reason for their recent introduction at high school level is because women’s sports were always heading that direction as they became increasingly competitive. Now if anyone wants to undermine their competition, all they have to do is accuse them of not being female and the rest takes care of itself. Or at least, they could if the legislation hadn’t been blocked.

There’s still no need for sex tests, no point in talking about putting the whole idea of being transgender back in the box either now that it’s out of it. The amendment which was signed into law was to prohibit sex discrimination in sports, would similarly be interpreted as gender discrimination, because Christianity and Conservatism, religious and political ideologies I do subscribe to, has never been picky or nuanced about sex - there’s two, and none of this gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity etc stuff, Hindus are more into that sort of thing, you get the idea! 😂

The reason it’s no accident that the US dominates in women’s soccer is because of the investment they put into the domestic game’s development only since the 90’s. Other countries simply can’t afford and don’t want to invest in women’s soccer because it’s just not major source of revenue, whereas the men’s game is, which is why objectors to the amendment wanted an exemption for some sports so that they wouldn’t have to give equal financial support to the women’s game or sports that didn’t generate as much revenue.

That’s pretty much the same argument today as it was then - that if the organising bodies have to invest equally in women’s sports, it’ll mean less revenue all round and then women’s sports will suffer anyway. It’s a nonsense argument though that has nothing to do with anyone’s equal participation in sports, it’s purely to maintain the superior status of the men’s games. As far as the women’s game goes, there’s no reason other than the lack of investment leads to outcomes like this:

https://www.si.com/.amp/soccer/2019/06/12/usa-thailand-rout-celebrations-goals-jill-ellis-alex-morgan

Perhaps you could explain what’s fair about two completely mismatched teams going up against each other and the superior team just going to town on them because they can? I get that it’s a competition, but where was the fairness there? It’s the responsibility of the organising bodies to ensure fair competition, it’s not the responsibility of the competitors.

The reason for their [sex tests] recent introduction at high school level is because women’s sports were always heading that direction as they became increasingly competitive. Now if anyone wants to undermine their competition, all they have to do is accuse them of not being female and the rest takes care of itself. Or at least, they could if the legislation hadn’t been blocked.

The US doesn't seem to agree with you. It thinks they were introduced to keep trans women out of women's sport. In fact, the Idaho act has been suspended by a federal district court for that exact reason, pending eventual adjudication by the US Supreme Court

Perhaps you could explain what’s fair about two completely mismatched teams going up against each other and the superior team just going to town on them because they can? I get that it’s a competition, but where was the fairness there? It’s the responsibility of the organising bodies to ensure fair competition, it’s not the responsibility of the competitors.

That's top level sport. Who said it was fair, beyond the basic qualification criteria? You expect each side to do their best. The day the better team eases off, is the day the competition loses some of its appeal. And why single out women's football on that? There's been plenty of one-sided test matches in men's rugby for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I believe it was suggested that women be referred to as jestastational carriers or vessels,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The groundswell of common sense continues.

The key point that Im sure will be ignored by certain sections.

“The new policy is based on the following principles [in order of priority] — protection of the integrity of the women’s game, safety, fairness and inclusion,”

Integrity of the game, safety and fairness trumps inclusivity, as it rightly should.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Female footballers refuse to play against a male who has caused a severe injury. Some even consider quitting altogether. Male gets angry and vows to take legal action to force females to play against him. Just another day in the age of feelings trumping biology. People like this (and there have been numerous examples) won't be happy until there are no female sports left. Absolutely no regard to what women want or their safety, and they seem to positively revel in injuring them. it's vindictive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

When all the gold medals are going to men with some lipstick on.

And ladies only ever get silver medals, or maybe a bronze medal if two men with lipstick turn up.

Only then, will this madness ever get sorted ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

If it ever gets that far it will have gone too far to wind it back, there is a movement now to correct the right on notions before we get to that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

The idea that the vast majority should have to adapt to this tiny group is whats insane.

• Advertisement

From that article

“There are a lot of 16-year-old girls in our league who are getting into football for the first time,” said a source familiar with the situation. “It’s a huge concern, and virtually every team in the league has taken the stance to stick together and not to play against Rossington for safety reasons. Francesca is arguing discrimination, but that’s not the case. It’s purely about safety. I’ve already told my players, ‘We’re not playing them. I’d sooner throw away the points.’”

The Needham case has potentially far-reaching implications, with at least 50 transgender players understood to be registered in women’s leagues across England.

I don't know how anyone can justify this. As we pointed out before, international level women's teams sometimes play training games against U16 boys, but not in competition and certainly not against fully grown adult males. Quote from another article about it in The Telegraph.

“We had a Zoom call together and you could feel the emotion pouring out,” a source said. “We’ve been terrified of saying anything. We don’t want to be accused of being transphobic. We don’t want the names of our clubs dragged through the mud. It has been like walking on eggshells. I’ve heard of women thinking of deregistering as players because of this. There are psychological scars. It’s not fair. We’re volunteer coaches – we don’t need this. We’re responsible for the welfare of our players. And I don’t think it’s being taken seriously enough.

“I got to see this situation first-hand. Five minutes into our game, it was obvious Francesca was biologically male. The league is competitive and physical, but a lot of my harder-tackling players were bouncing off this person. They took matters into their own hands and backed out for their own safety. These are strong players in their mid-30s. We were gobsmacked. Even the referee at the time couldn’t believe it.

Advertisement