Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building costs. Jan 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Demand is coming down the figures are there for construction PMIs and construction outputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Construction PMI and construction outputs do not accurately reflect small scale residential works which is the type of work most users on this forum will be involved with.

Well it is included in that and we are seeing a yearly increase in residential houses being built so where is the deficit ? As pointed out interest rates will lock a lot of people out from affording an extension.

Again I’m speaking from real world day to day dealings with home owners not massaged figures or generalised figures for the whole industry.Put an extension out to tender and see how many response you get .You’re also assuming all home owners borrow money for extensions.Majority of under €100k extensions the company I work for complete are paid for with no financing.Good quality contractors working in the direct to home owners sector do not need to reduce their prices yet and most will have at least 6 months work ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

My recent experience is builders will decide if your tender fits what they want their portfolio to look like over the next year or two!

Maybe this will all change but I haven't seen it happening yet.

• Advertisement

Yes, it’s a sellers market at the moment .It will change no doubt but I can’t see it happening with the next 18 months.

PMIs and Outputs are from the real world they are both in contraction. Its not anecdotal. Anecdotally in 2021 I could only get one builder out to quote for some work. A few months ago I had another piece of work I needed doing and I had a half dozen construction crew out and could pick the person coming in at the lowest price point and there was a large differential between the top and bottom 30k to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

"PMIs and Outputs are from the real world they are both in contraction. Its not anecdotal."

I have to say Fliball123 if anything you are consistent and stand by the figures month in month out. I for one wont argue with you on the figures as we all knows stats are gospel, but like others on this forum its not what I am seeing day to day.

I like others am struggling to get a builder to quote for work, full retro and front and back extension. I moved into an area in South Dublin and 4 houses are getting work completed all within 200m of my current house. I have spoken to all 4 builders and only 1 has looked at the job and his next available date is just over a year away Nov 2024. So not sign of demand dropping in South County Dublin at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

My anecdotal evidence is different. Have 8 different electricians after quoting for a job, all can start in 2 weeks or so and prices vary between 14k and 37k. Had a blocklayer working for €160 per day, carpenter for €200 and a plasterer for €150. All were able to come relatively quick when asked.

Well the figures come in monthly and if you average over the year construction outputs are down 4.7% from 2021 to 2022 and another 2% from 2022 to 2023 and the PMI has been in contraction for 10 out of the last 12 months. These are the figures/stats coming in from the real world there may be hot spots like South Dublin that are not seeing it yet.

• Advertisement

I guess that you are well outside Dublin and the day rates where cash to one man bands ?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

355 000

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Builders don't really want to renovate, they prefer new builds because once out of the ground it's a lot more straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yeah outside Dublin alright. I'll pay whatever way I'm asked to. In my accounts it will say who the money went to and it's up to them to deal with their own affairs after that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

One thing to show it in your books, and I agree cash is the recipients problem.

But do you have a invoice?

Had a on site Revenue Level 2 Compliance session earlier this week and they found one item, for an EU Patent, where the EU folk don't issue either a receipt or an invoice: they tell you that up front.

The rule is No invoice, no deduction permitted in my tax accounts

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I got a quote of €100k for a 20 sq metre extension today. That's €5k per sq metre. Showed him where the door was.

We badly need to import builders from the third world to undercut these absolute chancers.

Obviously didn’t want the job .Plenty of companies advertising prices for a 20sqm extension for a lot less than that.Unless yours is a complicated build or city centre / south Dublin

No thats the thing, my job couldn't be simpler...a 20 sq metre box covering the patio. No demolition required and easy access to site.

If he didn't want the job why would he bother calling to the house, chatting to us, measuring etc. There must be poeple out there paying those outrageous prices. But it is possible to get for a lot less I agree.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

50k is about right. Doing a 70sqm extension at the moment. Hope to have it done for 100k all in. We are at 46k now with roof on and glazing in

You're only charging about €1500 per sq metre? Why is 50k right for 20 sq metres then, that's €2500 per sq metre.

how much do you think would be a reasonable price for 20sqm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Devil is in the detail. Is it a kitchen? A bedroom?

If its just a bedroom id imagine 30k should cover it.

A kitchen would be closer to 50k.

Add on the irish builders premium it could be 100k though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Irish construction output down again 2.1% YoY over all 3.3% in the quarter. those interest rates rises are really starting to bite. Br interesting how long the high cost extension model that the construction crews have gouged on over the last few years can stay in situ before a truck load of them start seeing sense and fixing at a reasonable price point or hitting the wall

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Okay, this is a how long is a piece of string question, but hoping someone might help/answers

Has anyone gone for their self build mortgage to include the purchase of the site and construction? And what was the breakdown of this and how did it work?

also how much was it to build that house including all charges… council esb etc.

also has anyone done this with the intention of selling the home your in now?

any help is appreciated!

my background is we’re approved for a mortgage worth €312k with equity from the possible sale of our home of €70k and have about €10k in savings. We’ve been sale agreed on a house at €355k that house is approx 185sqm detached small gardens in an estate around 18 years old in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I haven't been in your situation (we had our own site and weren't selling a house) so I can't comment on the bank part of it.

One thing you'll need to consider is that you'll probably buy the site subject to planning permission which will take at least 6 months I'd say so you'll need to take that delay into account (could be longer depending on the circumstances).

It sounds like you have ~398k to buy a site and build the new house, is that correct? I don't know how much a site is in Cork but around here, I'd say you're looking at 40-60k minimum which at best leaves ~ 340k to build the house. After that, it depends on what size the house is and how much you'd be doing yourself - without knowing that, it's hard to comment further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

We wouldn’t be looking at a massive house, in and around 2000sqft, I’d be doing none of the work! I’d be useless when it comes to anything like that. A site would be of a similar price to you. Few around €35/€50k around. I was thinking it’d take that time alright.

there is a building contractor local that does the whole lot to a builders finish, look after planning etc. have a price list and so on. It’s definitely affordable, it’s the site and how do I pay the mortgage as we go is the thing!

Advertisement