Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭threeball

These Ruskies couldn't even come up with an original movie plot. Must have watched all but the last 30mins of inglorious basterds before setting about their knock off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think the empty seats could be a Russian way of silent protesting.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Further, NATO support is only likely to increase the more inevitable a Ukraine victory appears. Let's not forget heels were dragged cos for a long while it wasn't clear Ukraine would last long. Ths more Kyiv has not just resisted but pushed back, the more support has come - albeit reluctantly and slowly in places. If this counter offensive finishes with Ukraine in vague ascendency, it's unlikely to result in less support - but potentially more as countries back the winning horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This conflict will be over before the next US President is inaugurated on 20 January 2025.

Long over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Polar101

I do want to know if the new flick is better than The Crimean Bridge (a rom-com).

200 million ruble budget (which most likely includes 10 for the actual film, and 190 stolen by the director).

• Advertisement

They should make a 70's style disaster movie about the Crimean Bridge - unsuspecting civilians board a train crossing the bridge, but get stuck when the poor construction fails and a part of the bridge sinks in the swamp

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Support Ukraine. If he is allowed to succeed, it won't end there.

Putin yes, he's old and unwell, and probably not long for this world; and yes, the visage of his military being some mighty, unstoppable juggernaut has been well and truly shattered. But there are others there who will have noted the mistakes and be keen to correct them.

Can Russia ever be trusted again? As long as the corrupt bastards in charge remain, it will be a beast that needs to be permanently shackled. Otherwise they will keep trying this sh it again and again for the next fifty years.

Glory to Ukraine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The delays in NATO members being fully supportive of Ukraine was due to fear of the bomb and escalating things further quickly. If Ukraine falls then NATO loses regardless of how involved they got and how quickly after the initial invasion. Russians incompetence and lack of modern fighting force is what has made NATO countries less fearful of things escalating, because Russia has merely shown themselves of being incapable of escalating things, other than with a bomb and everyone knows that is suicide.

Probably all amounts to the same thing, but I'd say it's Russia being useless that let NATO countries become more involved, rather than Ukraine doing anything other than surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ah the old telling the truth is "pro-Russia".

Absolute nonsense. I look at this conflict entirely dispassionately and will continue to tell things as they are and will not mindlessly parrot the propaganda of either side.

If/when Ukraine starts making some game changing progress I'll say it. Until then it is what it is.

Russia is dug in on it's occupied territories and the way things are right now, like it or not, those territories will be partitioned. The progress and momentum Ukraine needed has not happened. The sum of gains since the start of their offensive has been way too small, way too slow, and as has been correctly pointed out they can far less afford the losses they have taken for such small battlefield gains than Russia can.

It's not only man-power, it's also production. Russia has over 10 times the war-time production capacity of Ukraine.

Ukraine understandably tries to convince Western populations that they've closed the gap somehow or there is some evenness in this fight. There isn't. It's not close.

We, collectively in Western Europe, are going to have serious decisions to make after this war especially if it turns out as I think it will with large parts of Eastern Ukraine adsorbed as part of the Russian Federation.

I know governments are preparing for that reality if it happens. I'm not sure the public outside Ukraine are prepared though.

Like I say if Ukraine has some big success I'll be here saying it. It hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

It is indeed, and its not the only one..polls claiming support for Putin and his war is another one, how many reply " Ah but I don't do politics, or there's only Putin, so I'll vote for him etc. There's a whole undercurrent of anti-war, anti-Putin sentiment building, and its Putins greatest fear, that at some stage, something or some one will spark that undercurrent into action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

That will make a definite box office smash hit.....where did the money go, and how was it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Do you know what else is absolute nonsense? Your take on the current situation in Ukraine. Like your uncanny inability to understand the weather, you don't seem to get what's happening in the Ukraine at all. We're still waiting on the snow you promised but I can assure you that Russia will be removed from the land that it illegally invaded long before your snow arrives. They are ceding ground daily, their economy is in ruins and there's no way back. Ukraine will make this breach count. Do the right thing for once and realise which way the wind is blowing and drop your faux Russian slant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"I look at this conflict entirely dispassionately" and then spout pure shte based on nothing but your own fantasy.

"You know governments are preparing for this" are you some sort of government insider ?

Aren't you the fella who every few months came on the Brexit thread to warn of "next weeks" impending "EU selling Ireland down the river" to appease the big mighty UK. And then disappear for months with your tail between your legs.

I guarantee you that governments are prepared for different outcomes and that's one of them. You might not like it but it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Ah here now, the Counter-offence is not even 3 months old (you somehow believe it's 4 months)

As for momentum, Ukraine have liberated more land in the past 1 month than the previous 2 months around Robotyne, which suggests momentum is increasing. Recent success in breaching the first line of defences etc...

It really annoys me when people throw around statements like: Ukraine can't afford the losses for such small gains.

Nobody outside of the top brass in Ukraine know what those losses are. All those videos from the failed counterattack months ago, amounted to only 5 leopards being destroyed. All the damaged ones have been recovered and repaired. Destroyed Bradleys have been replaced etc...

It was mentioned in this thread, as soon as the **** hits the fan, the Russians will start the misinformation and feeding their zombie followers to talk about a truce or stalemate, to say Ukraine can't sustain the losses etc... you're simply parroting that. Makes me question where you get you news or information etc...

I fail to see how you concluded Russia has 10x the war-time production than Ukraine has? Are you just going by population or GDP or what?

Thankfully Ukraine doesn't need to produce any tanks/artillery/planes/AA systems etc... as the west have stepped in to do that. Do you think Russia can outproduce Ukraine's backers?

What evidence is there that there is any prospect of Russia being evicted from all the lands it has taken?

Ukraine has made small territorial gains - we are literally talking a couple of villages and kms of fields that can be counted on one hand. Remind me how much Ukranian land in square kms Russia holds? Compare the two.

Take the emotion out of it and then maybe you'll understand the actual situation which I can't see as anything other than grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭macraignil

There is very little truth in what you are contributing to this thread from what I can see. Ukraine is making progress in removing putin's forces occupying its territory and destroying the military capacity of putin to attack them again with their estimates on progress over the last month detailed below. They don't need to get all the way to the coast to cut off the majority of the routes putin has available to supply his forces in the occupied territories and just bringing the land bridge within artillery range and hitting the Kerch bridge again will insure they can strangle the supply of the occupying forces and force a withdrawal just like they did with Kherson last year.

If I put up a Russian graphic of what they say Ukranian losses are you would rightly say I was spreading propaganda.

Yet these figures go up all over social media, from Ukranian propagandists mostly, and people just accept them.

The Kiev Independent, for example, tried to claim a couple of days a go that 260 000 Russian troops had been killed in the conflict. It's so absurd that pro-Ukranian accounts were basically saying - "yeah the losses are big but this just looks stupid"

I don't believe any of this for a moment. I think Russia has taken large losses, I can well believe that but nowhere near the type of mindless figures being thrown around from certain quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Speaking of evidence there Kermit. Did you ever furnish us with the evidence that "Kupyansk is about to fall"?

Or is providing evidence a standard that only the rest of us bright eyed plebs have to adhere to?

It's the double standard that all the misery merchants on this thread hold everyone but themselves to. For most whom are positive but realistic about Ukraines chances anything that isn't backed to the hilt with evidence, reasoning and links are laughed at by the handful of joyless contrarians.

But for yourselves, and you know who you are, just a single badly written alarmist CNN article will do. Even when the article itself doesn't reinforce the title. And then ye throw your toys out of the pram and start moving goalposts, and b*tching and moaning that there's some sort of general unreasonableness going on. Truly a sight to behold if it weren't so pathetic.

• Advertisement

I'm not a mystic meg. In relation to Kupyansk it's in a precarious situation. The Russians are only a few kms from the center of the town.

According to reliable media Russia has amassed a lot of troops and eqiupment on that axis. I have no idea why they haven't moved or if they've tried.

Another point is Russia hasn't attempted to break out of it's own positions. It could be the case they are content to hold what they have. None of us know what the situation is in relation to Russian intentions with territory atm.

If your Russian graphic is from the Russian MOD then yes, it's propganda.

However, if you look at visually confirmed loses, you can see quite an uptick on Russian losses.

How can the counteroffensive being failing if Russian visually confirmed losses are so high?

The gap just keeps growing.

Specific to the counteroffensive:

Again the gap keeps growing.

We can debate the official figures of Russian losses released by Ukraine. I think many, if not all agree they can't be confirmed. However the trend is what to look at, the trend of figures Ukraine releases match the trend of visually confirmed losses Russia have suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Sorry but you'll have to do better. The whole point is that you brazenly said that "Kupyansk is about to fall", no hedging or caveats. If anyone else posted say "Looks like Melitopol is about to fall to the Ukrainians". You and the other naysayers would be ripping into them asking what evidence they have for any of it. Like you did above.

But you hold yourself to a different standard of evidence than you do everyone else.

I know Russian losses are considerably more extensive than Ukraine's. Every loss for Ukraine, whether personel or equipment, is a bigger proportionate loss for them than for Russia. It's just numbers. Russia has a lot more.

In here you point out simple facts and the usual suspects (most of whom couldn't point Ukraine out on a map prior to the war) get all emotional and accuse you of being pro-Russian.

Rinse repeat.

You say a bigger loss for Ukraine, be specific, what losses?. Ukraine lost 5 Leopard 2 tanks so far and have been replaced.... They lost Bradley's which have been replaced, Strykers, which have been replaced, a modern mobile radar, which have been replaced..... You see the trend?

Russia is producing **** all, it's pulling even older and older **** from storage, T55's etc...

If Russia is outproducing Ukraine (excluding western support) 10 to 1, why is Russia using Iranian drones and North Korean shells?

Ukraine had begun evacuating Kupyansk and Russia apparently has in excess of 100,000 troops on that axis which is why it's a reasonable assumption the town would fall more quickly.

For whatever reason Russia doesn't appear to have made a move there nor have they been pushed back. I have no idea why but as I say it's still in a precarious situation if those figures on soldiers and equipment on the Russian side are true.

Well that's just the thing. There's a lot of Russia around Ukraine. Why isn't Russia attacking Chernihiv or Sumy? Surely it would be easy to overrun Ukraine from multiple directions, since the power of balance is so heavily tipped for Russia? Kupyansk should be really easy to take, since they already have a lot of troops in the area (allegedly) What are they waiting for?

Obviously Russia has a lot of military might (only an idiot would think they aren't a dangerous opponent), but they've made a complete balls of the invasion. And it's just going to get worse and worse for them, until they reach the breaking point.

I don't know. It's hard to understand what's the malfunction in the Russian military. You would think on paper it's an easy take. Maybe they are waiting until in to the Autumn for some reason. I have no idea. They've screwed up so much it's hard to know whether it's incompetence or a plan.

On paper the Russian's should have taken all of Ukraine in weeks (if not sooner).... they didn't, was that incompetence or a plan?

Same answer would apply to Chernihiv & Sumy.

We've seen the great Russian winter advance... I don't think they made it out of a field. I think the only advance (in the past 6 months) worth noting that Russia (briefly gained) was Bahkhmut. Russia is a busted flush. They have been shown as paper tigers (no disrespect to the Ukrainian's).

Russia will only loose more and more land they illegally took.

• Advertisement

I don't think they have intention of breaking out from the territories they have taken. The evidence would appear to back this up for the last 12 months. There has been no serious attempt from Russia to break out of these regions despite the fact they have serious numerical advantage.

I don't think Putin wants all of Ukraine. Too much of a headache controlling a population that wants nothing to do with you. The regions with large ethnic Russian populations which are the territories they now hold are another matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement