Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It really isn't difficult to change providers you only need to stand up once, that's to get a meter reading, all other info required is online, after that it's their job to try and keep you. I've never rang any provider, car insurance, etc looking for a retention offer, I just went with somebody else and if the outgoing provider wants my money they'll have to entice me with a good deal. I don't understand the rest of your post tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

With the Energia site down, did anyone note exactly what the new rates were (ideally including VAT and the EV rate)? Bonkers seem to have newer prices but don't reference the EV rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

I just rang electric Ireland and they could offer nothing!

Find the company offering the best rate on bonkers etc and sign up online, a few clicks and you’re done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 bobcatboo123

Do you know if this includes vat? I'm on a 24 hours smart plan with EI but think I might sign up for this

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Finally signed up to the BG 44/44 % deal. Worse case scenario they don't lower unit rate and gov give me a couple of 200€ during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Except at the moment , Bonkers say that the best rate is with Energia (not available for signup through Bonkers) and the direct Energia website is down.

Incidentally, I have also put my same query info into two other Irish comparison sites and have got different results for the best deal available. The only criteria that matters to me are the unit rate, and the standing charge... all other potential savings calculations and comparison with my current provider are smoke and mirrors. When you add in cashback offers, fixed rate contracts and smart meter tariffs, it is getting virtually impossible for the consumer to be able to make direct comparisons

There are three things I am sure of however, (1) I am being royally ripped off, (2) The regulator is useless when it comes to protecting consumer interests, even in terms of making price plans clear (3) The Government don't give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭EO2019

Did this come up online or through the retention team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I'm with BG and was on the affinity 39/39% dual fuel which expired on 31st Aug. Kept getting the 10/10% offer so was holding out but life got in the way and expiry date passed. No offers on my account now.

I have a smart meter on a standard meter tariff.

Elec usage is 8400kw per year / 44.21c -39%

Gas usage is 9400kw per year / 0.134 -39%

3 small kids, shift worker and PHEV car so smart rates won't work.

I presume my best bet is to sit tight a see what the next few weeks bring discount wise? Bonkers and Compare keep showing me increasing my yearly bill by almost €1k. Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I obviously don't know your actual usage but a shift worker with a PHEV is the ideal candidate for a variable plan. A variable plan punishes those who follow the typical routine and can't move much elec usage to night time. Unless you're specifically working 11pm-8am then you could benefit a lot from charging at night. If your rate is close to 40c this time around then it could be cheaper to just not plug it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

You really should have a D/N meter with that high a usage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭wassie

I think the "3 small kids" is the bigger issue in trying to benefit from a variable plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yeah, you'd need a large battery so you can time shift. If you have the time and are handy look into a DIY one.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

With BGE and coming up for renewal. Was being offered 38% off gas and only 9 off electricity.

The site was just updated and now being offered 38% off both.

I think the base rates will move down over the next months via competition amongst the suppliers but cant see discount % shifting any higher.

Any opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Most are getting the best offers close to end of contract date. What discount were you on? If 33% it might be the best they will offer.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

Yes 33% off both.

EAB for my low usage is still best with BGE. Micro gen export is low with BGE at 18.5c but I have a small system so estimate I export 1100KWH per year so not a huge difference between BGE and the more generous 24C elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Yeah, people are getting 5% on top of last years offer with the B/G 5% per year discount so that's possibly the best they will offer. Their Feed in Tariff is not the best and only paying twice a year as well is not great. Do your maths and be sure it's the best offer for you. Some others might start dropping rates soon now the media has highlighted it again but don't wait too long in case that offer is withdrawn.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

Energia will also call you if you switch to them and then cancel the switch during the cooling off period.

To me they said it was as a confirmation, but then they put me through to the retention team.

Was given a cashback offer (gas only) but he didn't know there and then how much the cashback offer was. Neither did he know how much the new unit rate was, but confirmed that it was higher after being questioned. Bizarre.

I always got best offers on webpages, bonkers.ie or here, phone is a waste of time as per my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Yes VAT included.Im like u with EI on smart plan but im going to sit tight until October and wait what other will do.

Energia rates are starting in October and are already on bonkers.Hope that helps

• Advertisement

ring the company during the cooling off period and cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Anyone that signed up to flogas have an idea on a time line for them to talk to you. I signed up weeks ago. I got one letter saying my direct debit was set up. Bord gais closed my account on August 18th. But I've no details for flogas. No account info, no online access, no idea about how and when they charge.

I still have power so I guess someone is supplying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Wait maybe a month, they have plenty to sort through. Then send an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Same scenario here. Submitted request to switch on August 10th...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Signed up about 6 weeks (maybe longer) ago got the letter regarding the direct debit mandate your flogas account number is on this once you have the account number you can create an online account

No sign of my first bill my previous supplier has sent final bill and taken amount due

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Like I said earlier, I was already with them and switched to the community plan. Heard nothing outside the initial confirmation mail but the latest bill has me on the new rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

@Grumpypants I signed up for the Flogas Community Plan on Aug 20th. I requested they defer my switch until Aug 28th when I would be out of contract with Bord Gais, but that was ignored. Shortly after I got the DD confirmation in the post, then on Aug 28th I received a welcome email confirming my switch on Aug 20th and inviting me to create an online account.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Was this close to the expiry date?

Think someone here was saying they got free elec on Saturdays, amazing if true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very careful with those free elec on Saturdays offers. The one I checked out a few months ago had several terms and conditions attached to it, making it barely worth your while.

Advertisement