Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nowhere near as polluting as fossil fuel vehicles.

If there are going to be millions of new vehicles manufactured every year, it's much better if they're BEVs

And the Power stations all have a fixed life span, so if we're going to be building new power infrastructure anyway, it's much better to build renewable compatible infrastructure for a 21st century clean energy system.

With the UK now announcing they may leave the ECT, it looks like Japan is the only major economy left that has not said it will drop out of the ECT if major reforms aren't made

Loads of EU countries have announced their intention to pull out and the EU as a bloc is potentially going to walk away from it too

A while back I shared here when the windfall tax was announced for the profits on gas power generators. Several posters were very put out that other power generators were not having their windfall gains being hit despite it being announced previously that all generators would be hit, just the legislation was being split.

Those folks will now be happy to note that Ryan has just published the Bill to tax the windfall gains on all non-gas generators

It will apply to generators using any of the following sources

• wind energy;
    • solar energy (solar thermal and solar photovoltaic);
    • geothermal energy;
    • hydropower (with or without reservoir);
    • biomass fuel (solid or gaseous biomass fuels), excluding biomethane;
    • waste;
    • nuclear energy;
    • lignite;
    • crude petroleum products;
    • peat;
    • hard coal

This will mean between 280-600 million extra revenue for the exchequer 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

We're on different pages. I'm talking about domestic solar and my experience and you're talking about large scale solar farmsinstallations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Shoog

You responded to my comment regarding the future of renewables. It's you who are on the wrong page here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I thought it was illegal to talk about nuclear energy? Why is it included if we aren't allowed to have any?

We also don't use crude for power generation afaik so who knows

Yeah I know and fuckin said we're on different pages. Christ ya just move on or hit the thanks button to acknowledge instead of acting a knob

Plus I'm still right on my page. Solar is more expensive now than 2 years ago for domestic roof top installations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thing is, the only retro fits I see going on around here are to social houses. Don't see any private houses getting done unless its part of a larger renovation project.

• Advertisement

Its actually a good pr trick, calling industrial generation sites 'farms' makes them sound more green and less intrusive. Solar farms, wind farms, smell of roses and have no negative visual impacts.

Let's just circle back to the point I was making, which was that solar is so cheap and getting cheaper that it will swamp out more expensive fossil fuel forms of generation. The green energy revolution is only just getting going and solar PV will turn out to be the backbone of a European wide push to green energy. This is why the fact that it is so cheap and getting cheaper is significant.

Those who imagine that fossil fuels will play a significant part in the energy future are deluded, fossil fuel will be relegated to the very few occasions when renewables fail to deliver and we already see countries with near100% renewables on favourable days. This will become the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'll have whatever you're having, seems to be good stuff.

There's so much wrong here but let's get the large elephant in the room out of the way first. Those very rare occasions you mention are infact the majority of the time.

Let's start with Solar in this lovely northern European country. It's prettyuch useless from September to March and has a capacity factor of about 12%. Meaning we need to be ready to supplement it the remaining 88% of the time.

Then we have wind, which has a (and let's be generous here) 35% capacity factor for onshore and maybe 45% for offshore. Again, we have to supplement it at best 55% of the year.

Ah, and before you say long term storage, let's look at those numbers. Green H2 requires about 4MW of energy to create 1MW of H2. So a 4:1 round trip before you even use it to generate a single watt. Even the best CCGTs are approx 45/46% before derating for H2, so we are in the realms of absolutely brutal energy efficiency and need to pay for the thermal plants anyway as renewables haven't cracked the capacity factor problem yet.

That's before we even look at how God awful solar and wind when it comes to land efficiency. Solar is around 2.5/3 acres per MW and wind takes up vast tracks of land or sea to avoid spillover from the blades.

My prediction is that by 2030 we'll have made good progress in reducing emissions but there'll be a sea change in public opinion as energy bills will continue to climb because of the vast infrastructure upgrades required to make any of this NetZero insanity anywhere near achievable.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....there probably is some private dwellings being done, but it makes sense to plough on with social houses, we have to get this done, asap, id say a lot of home owners simply cant afford these works, many probably never will be able to....

That's before you factor in technical issues such as lower inertia to mitigate frequency excursions, ramping uncertainty, lower short circuit levels for protection relays, etc.

But the cost is the real elephant in the room. If all this supposed offshore materialises (most probably won't given recent signals from the sector), we'll be paying for oversupply that's spilled along with the energy generated on the windy days, then paying huge capacity premiums for thermal backups for those calm winter days. Not exactly bang for buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Great scheme if you are loaded and can afford it. Most normal people don't have 50k sitting around. As usual it's the people who most need the work done that would save them money on ridiculous heating bills that won't be able to afford this. Not that the Green's give a hoot about those people sure once the D4 latte drinkers can do it then happy days.

You'd do well to design a more inefficient and unreliable system. If it wasn't all cloaked in the NetZero zealotry, you'd genuinely laugh at it because it's so bad.

The bill for all this insanity is just beginning to be felt and we haven't even got past the starters on the menu. Wait till the real bill for the main meal comes along and a lot of people in Europe are going to realise what a pup they've been sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

We'll be hanging unto our 2008 1.6 diesel for a few years yet. Easily be getting another 10 years from it as i look after her like a baby. Also i know i am helping the planet more than these virtue signallers who buy a brand new EV worth 70k euro and the serious amount of pollution that causes to the environment. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

And not before time.

Makes you wonder why this wasn`t announce at the same time as the proposal on fosil fuels.

You don`t think by any chance somebody in government asked Ryan what the fcuk he thought he was playing at when the were not do you 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You really are having the heebie jeebies over Lansdowne bring Ryan to the ECT on Barryroe, but more for the sake of it making Ryan`s position as untenable for ever again serving as a government minister should it find for Lansdowne, rather than the massive cost to the taxpayer.

Even if Ireland decided to pull out of the ECT today it would not save his bacon as 10 years notice is required before doing so.

• Advertisement

This is the thing, with cost of living and reductions in disposable income, the people who could afford to retro fit their houses have done so, same with ev's. The people who could justify it have bought them, its going to take longer to get others to follow, blood from a stone springs to mind. Yes some will upgrade but many simply can't afford to buy a new ev, and the secondhand market is a risky move imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think you need to remember about how capacity factor is calculated. It isn’t 12% “of the time”. It’s 12% of the theoretical max output over a period of time.

Sure, it's usually determined over the course of a year.

Can I sell you shares in British coal ?

Got some going dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Whenever you have a conversation/debate with a true Green Agenda believer you enter the realm of religion with dogma and subsequential blindness. Plus, the average person will just believe what is in the news. When you focus on equations/variables etc it takes too much energy to contemplate so most wont. It used to and still does amaze me how ignorant people are, or at least naive because the truth is out there and easy to find. But, green invested/infested institutions will just ramp up the propaganda warning people NOT to investigate under the banners mis-des and malinformation using the usual tactics of calling 'right wing' 'fake news' etc. Ministry of Truth kinda thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

Last week Sunday paper Burke the killer doubles farm profits

This week

Last year milk farmers in Co Cork alone received 1.2bn in revenues

And people here telling me they would be better off milking the social welfare than milking cows 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Well, bang for your buck would be a reliable, efficient and affordable electricity base load. That won't be solar or wind. The Greens have it the wrong way round. Put liquid (green or otherwise) nitrogen (or even hydrogen for that matter) in the mix and it still won't work. Start w natural (or liquified) gas and oil and add nuclear, then add wind and solar on top and see how everything actually functions in terms of variables including grid systems. Over time, and let technology develop. But no, they say we all HAVE to transit to an unreliable, inefficient and expensive system in the shortest period of time. Pity for them that the cracks have appeared already. If you think the whole mica thing was bad you just have another (more structural-system based) thing coming. However, there are enough 3 monkees (some with deep pockets) around to keep it going for a while longer..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

green Policies not only destroying this country, but also destroying the party, going by these poll results:

Eamon surely going to get a heave ho soon, but the horse has already bolted I’d say😁

How's your convincing of your family to become PAYE workers going?

Are you ever going to tell us how that helps the environment? Or improves anything in society?

You've been very quiet all week, I wonder if this article had anything to do with it:

https://archive.ph/7QDbQ

It seems to contradict everything you've been saying. More curiously, it also seems to have facts and figures to support it's argument rather than random regional rags from New Zealand or blogs from New York student magazines that you love linking to. That's before we get into the selective picking on a particular farmers family enterprise, honing in on just 2 years of profits (with no actual values) but ignoring 5 years of losses averaging 40k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

You Believe whatever fantasy you read in the media all you want.but of coarse the green lunatic devotees won’t let the truth get in the way.last yr was a complete anomaly in terms of price.I’m milking 25 yr and the average price is early to mid 30’s compared to last yrs 65 cents.

at least according to poll after poll the greens will be extinct long before farming.can’t come quick enough

Advertisement