Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RTE all over, make the job redundant with a nice exit package then rehire someone new to fill the position

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Brendan O Carroll..another talentless rte infliction..who in their right mind could find this man and that awful show he does in any way funny?

I have had the misfortune to be subjected to bits of it where I work and dear god it's painful.

Ive even noticed it in on Christmas night. What in God's name is wrong with people. Once these guys get a leg into rte it's a cushy number for life

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Remember BOC had plenty of shows in RTE over the years, including this painfully bad game show.

Someone else said here, theyre part of a club, and you aint in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

In an interview with the Sunday Independent, Pat Kenny says RTE "ruined" Ryan Tubridy.

No mention of the enormous salaries Tubridy received from RTE in the previous 20 years which made him a multi millionaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Came to post this, I didn’t read it as it’s behind a paywall but no mention I assume either that they have the same agent?

NK has probably worked more in the last 3 months than ever before in his life rounding up his posse to publicly say how wronged Tubs is, and churning out the puff pieces to beat the band.

i’ve lost a lot of respect for Kenny on this subject. He has shown zero impartiality on it and worse again, come out batting for Tubridy when he should really know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Looks likes its being teed up for RT to go to Newstalk with the view to take over PK show when he retires.

Is PK from the NK stable too or like FS in the indo being nice to their rumoured new colleague.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I will never understand the appeal of that programme, or indeed anything he ever did. And it's so popular in the U.K. which puzzles me further.

As regards Pat Kenny, I have been surprised at his defence of Tubridy from the start. Is this a lot of very deep-seated bitterness on his part, towards RTE, that is now emerging, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,565 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Another day, another pointless statement of support for RT splashed all over the front pages. Have these people no clue? The vast majority are happy that Ryan is gone and don't particularly care how he was treated given how he treated the vast majority. The likes of Pat Kenny et al should know better.

When will this ridiculous PR campaign end? I'm sick of it and don't need daily updates from z list celebrities. Surely there's better news out there than these puff pieces?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Talk about conflicting messages from Ryan’s PR machine/Irish independent, is he not in high demand with “eye watering” offers? Doesn’t sound like someone with a ruined reputation……or he’s had absolutely f*ck all in terms of offers which I strongly suspect is the case, not because of a ruined reputation but because he truly is a talentless, mundane useless presenter completely out of touch with reality and has been living on the crest of an Irish nepotistic wave for a few decades.

Someone really needs to tell Pat, every single bit of his supposed ruination was due to Tubridys own shambolic handling of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

It’s a way for Brexit voters to feel superior @HildaOgdenx

Post edited by Lillyfae on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭Tow

When does NK realise it is the law of diminishing returns. Does he increase his percentage the lower the salary achieved and/or the amount of effort taken?

A lot of work has been done, PR expenses to be paid, and favours called in, for what? 15% of €175,000. At the moment it looks like a percentage of zero!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

If stuffing my pockets and bank accounts for years with wads of cash for something I genuinely have no talent for is "ruining" me, then Ruin me baby and Ruin me good I ain't proud 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Jesus - the indo again. Are they on a retainer or something? I don’t get this…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭Tow

"Ruined" is a word the older generation use to talk about a spoilt child.

John's parents have ruined him, always giving him what he wants.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

That Indo is a rag ,people should pay no attention to it.

It has the same old faces on it ,day in day out.

Z list celebs, talentless fools being promoted because of their connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Doc07

Correct he is and don’t mistake this for an actual article written by an actual journalist. This is essentially an ad/press release from an agency

I wonder will Brendan O’Connor discuss PK’s comments on the paper review this morning? I would suspect not as he’s largely avoided this particular story, even though it’s been front page news all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

setting things up for Tubridy to join them as a “star signing” columnist?

Big multi page “tell all” interview with Barry Egan and Niamh Horan.

“Raw, authentic - a side to Ryan we Havn’t seen before”.

accompanied by a photo session of RT dressed up the the 9s sauntering around south Dublin with a teddy's 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ah now it is Brendan - we must be careful-o Connor you're talking about there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

I remember PK in the 90s fighting to keep private how much we the public were paying him. All he's defending is the mismatch between talent and pay.

The generations who still buy the indo probably mostly pay their license, but the pyramid of pompous rte salaries is crumbling away like a sand castle as the tide of internet users make tv programming look more like an exhibit at a "how we used to live" museum.

Don't forget his new JFK book, with 50% off if you buy the new Joe Duffy book about the forgotten pets of the rising.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 30,099 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sunday Indo poll has 57 percent agree RTE right not to bring Tubridy back versus 32 percent disagree.

Confidence in Bakhurst to reform RTE: 42 percent agree v 38 percent disagree.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Isn't "the big podcast" (what-the-fcuk-ever that means, pre-launch, pre-audience build-up) supposed to be sponsored by some media outlet?

So they're even going against their own readers (I'm not one btw) by continuing to publish this tripe on a daily basis? Not really a sound business model for a newspaper (a dying industry in itself).

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

The lack of support for Tubridy from his RTE colleagues and NKM stablemates is deafening in it's silence. You'd think Noel Kelly could convince at least one of his other 'talent' to come out batting for Tubs. Pat Kenny doesn't really count. Claiming RTE "ruined" him is not exactly glowing support but also inaccurate as he would have been back in his original radio slot tomorrow if he hadn't shot himself in both feet with his ill judged/timed comments.

Dave Fanning and his smarmy Tweet.. or whatever it was.. comparing the PAC hearings to the Nuremberg trials.. and later apologising for it.. was spineless.

It seems the best Tubridy/Noel Kelly can come up with are the likes of John Brennan and Brendan O' Carroll! ( Brendan O' Carroll.. SWEET JESUS!.. just when I thought that man couldn't get any lower in my estimation (I'm referring to B O' C here and not Jesus. Jesus is cool!)).

When you compare and contrast to the fairly recent Gary Lineker controversy when practically the entire BBC sports department shut down in protest against Linekers suspension, well.. there is no comparison.

They're wedded to the preinternet tribe who can only internalise information if it's printed.

I've an elderly aunt who reads news from her phone but she won't believe it until she sees it in the indo.

• Advertisement

I honestly never thought I'd see a worse "journalist" (I'm loathe to call him that btw) than Barry Egan in my time on this planet but fair play to the Indo in unearthing Niamh Horan to challenge his title....that took some doing but they've managed it.

Whenever I think of Egan, I think of two things:

1. The time I saw him at an Ireland England Rugby Match in Croke Park when tickets were nigh on impossible to get, and this chancer had one.
    2. This article...https://www.dailyedge.ie/barry-egan-loves-young-dream-3107014-Jan2017/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement