Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your prefered QF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭swiwi_

My experience with French fans is very favourable. Among the big nations (and I include nz fans in this) the French fans are by far the most likely to enter into the spirit of rugby, be gracious etc. I simply don’t buy French fans having an anti-Irish grudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

New Zealand

Apart from La Rochelle fans, I would whole heartedly agree.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A huge number of French fans have a persecution complex though. A lot just assume everyone is out to get them (well, all the 'anglo-saxons' at least) and take is as part of the game, much like the way English fans assume that everyone wants them to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Not my experience but then it’s not me who lives in France ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

New Zealand

Now after France trashed Aus and the opposite for N-Z

Most could agree the latter is better for us to have a chance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

France

I wonder whether NZ/French fans would prefer to meet SA or Ireland in a 1/4 final, assuming Scotland lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭tbm

New Zealand

NZ. It’ll be a tough game, but to win that series away, having lost the first test, shows were mentally strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I sat among LAR fans at the final in Lansdowne Rd. They were sound. Very gracious in victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

New Zealand

Same here, any of the fans near me were fine.

New Zealand

I didn’t have any interaction with their fans in Dublin. In Marseilles all I could say was they were utter scumbags. If it had only been my experience, I would have chalked it down to bad luck. Talking to the other Leinster fans in different parts of the stadium. Who all seemed to have had similar experiences, it most certainly wasn’t. I know that even some of the Munster fans who were there had similar experiences. I have never encountered fans like that at any other rugby game, in France or anywhere else.

• Advertisement

Yeah, English fans are miles wide of the mark there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Shehal

France

We'll have more than a chance either way as we are better than both sides!

New Zealand

You'll probably find the reason is that they hate Leinster, just like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Based on what recent evidence are we better than France or NZ?

Ah ye just like we were before the last World Cup

France

2019 - Top for 2 weeks

2023 - Top for 30 weeks

Not exactly comparable are they?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The first match was 7 months ago, we've declined big time since then and France have improved. And the second match was a 3rd string French side. You must have missed their first team destroying Australia last week.

NZ had an off day in that game but they've been outstanding recently. They demolished everyone in the Rugby Championship.

France

That was the game to prove France were the best in the world and they were 2nd best in every department on the day. Good job on France destroying the 9th best team in the world.

You see you are proving why Ireland are the best, you have to make excuses for France or NZL on why they lost, Ireland there are no excuses they get the job done, that's the difference between being the best and being 3rd or 4th.

• Advertisement

France

we've declined big time since then

Based on what?

Again, for someone demanding evidence you are just making stuff up based on your insanely negative vibes. Ireland had one of the most comfortable 6N wins in history with the most match points ever accumulated. They have played all of 1 game since with a first string team and even then were missing our starting 10 and had our best player on the bench.

I haven't missed any of the warm ups. Though I find it amusing you think a 24 point win over an utterly dreadful Australia team is "destroying" them and a 19 point win over England is nowhere near good enough. This is ignoring France absolutely scraping a 3 point win at home over Scotland also. You have just got lost in a hole of your own negativity.

New Zealand

So that’s why they were like that with some of the Munster fans too? Very interesting contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

France

Ireland, France, SA and NZ could all beat each other on their day. I can't see anyone else touching them. Argies best of the rest followed by Scotland I'd say.

I'd prefer NZ in quarters and France in final where the pressure will be crushing on them. Much like it was on NZ in 2011 where they very nearly lost to a French team they had hammered in the group and who had also lost to Tonga.

That said, NZ are the one side that if the click could beat us completely out the gate. And everyone else too. You kind of have to hope they don't fire or nobody will beat them. They still convert more chances into points than anyone else.

Edit I obviously voted France for quarters in this thread previously which shows I've changed my mind and can't call it.

Based on what?

Based on performance. In our last 4 games we've stuttered passed England x2, Italy and Samoa. Had we come up against a good side in the warm ups, we would have lost heavily. In a way I wish that had happened, because judging by the comments here, we're in need of a good wake up call so that people might actually open their eyes to our poor form. I just hope our coaches aren't as blind to our issues and are actually working on solutions. If we don't start playing well quickly, we're in for a very rude awakening against South Africa and yet another early exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kuang1

New Zealand

I really hope I don't come across to you as condescending, but I pity your attitude.

I hope it's not an accurate representation of how you approach other aspects of your life, because if it is then happiness will forever elude you.

Your attempts to support your view are conveniently selective to say the least.

We are fortunate enough to be supporters of a team who are number one in the world going into a world cup, reigning 6 nation and grand slam champions, and who's last defeat came away to NZ in the first test of a series that we went on to win.

To NOT enjoy where we currently are, and entertain the possibility of doing better than we've ever done in a world cup is utterly, utterly sad. I feel for you dude.

And hey, it could go all tits up for us. It could.

But it also might not.

Try thinking about the second option for a little bit. It's a nice feeling.

France

In our last 4 games we have had our complete first choice team out once. Also 13, 16 and 19 point wins are simply not "stuttering past" someone no matter how many times you say it. You appear to have an utterly contorted view of what a comfortable win in international rugby is. Ireland have not lost full stop in over a year, so the farcical idea that if we came up against any good time we would lose heavily is frankly not worth addressing further.

The fact you'll happily rationalise away much worse results from the supposedly far superior France is all the proof that is needed that you are obsessed with your narrative and don't care about the reality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

France

I dunno, TRC

19 point win for Ireland = “stuttered past”.

24 point win for NZ = “destroyed”.

That’s a huge swing.

Had we come up against a good side in the warm ups, we would have lost heavily.

This is one of those things people assert to be true knowing they won’t have to provide any evidence.

But you must mean something in the region of 24 points, right?

We’ve only ever lost by that margin under Farrell once. In Eden Park where NZ have never lost a game in the pro era.

Can you remember what you suggested after that game? Wasn’t it something about the team being mentally weak?

We are fortunate enough to be supporters of a team who are number one in the world going into a world cup, reigning 6 nation and grand slam champions, and who's last defeat came away to NZ in the first test of a series that we went on to win.

See, this is why the rest of the rugby World laughs at us. We harp on about our achievements between World Cups and anoint ourselves as the best team in the world and then invariably flop at the World Cup when it really matters. And judging by our current form, that's exactly where we're headed again. We once again peaked while other teams we're preparing for the World Cup. The reason everyone is being so defensive is because deep down they know I'm right.

Tell me, if we're as great as you say we are, why do the bookies have us as 4th favourites?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

France

Very little difference in odds between the top 4 teams. 3/1 for France and new Zealand, 7/2 SA and 4/1 Ireland.

10/1 for 5th favourite, 20/1 for 7th favourite.

Bookies have us in the mix for sure

• Advertisement

France

If we would get beaten heavily by any good team why on earth are our odds so short?

No one is "harping on" about our achievements, you are just being ridiculously and absurdly negative and completely ignoring them. Even just highlighting the incredibly brief period we were ranked number 1 before the last world cup is an incredibly stupid comparison if you put even 20 seconds into looking at the two situations. It's lazy doom-mongering.

Advertisement