Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The fans I suppose he was a gent, lovely guy but not a loss to the playing squad tbh. Don't see him doing much at Galway or maybe they will play more to his strengths possibly.

Sorry to see him go but he wasn't even really making the match squads at this stage, not exactly the same as last season when Britton went to Cork, now that was a big loss

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

got mixed up with names and for some reason thought he was the guy who scored all the goals

Another 2 points thrown away tonight and Galway also drawing. Tbh unless of a freak set of results for Galway were heading to the playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

Yeah and I think that's why we have a drop in crowds in recent games as fans know we won't catch Galway. Decent performance tonight and were unlucky not to win. We hit the crossbar twice in 2nd half and Parsons and Coughlan missed great chances late on. Longford are a bogey team for us over the years.

Will be falling attendances till the season starts again now in the playoffs, frustrating that in the two weeks Galway dropped points we also dropped them to hammer home that they won't be caught.

Everyone knows it's the playoffs now, hard to be motivated for the playing staff and the fans

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Looking like a very tough 9th place team in the Premier too

UCD look fucked

• Advertisement

Yeah feels like it will be Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Boooourns

The first division system is a joke, it's killing the league. When one team runs away with it like Cork and Galway have done it's just a boring walk to the playoffs. Both sides were backed with lots of money.

Even looking at Cobh this season who have progressed really well could get stuck next year because there will be at least 1 big side who will win the first division while they will more than likely not go up. The system doesn't promote the game for smaller sides and don't get me started on UCD!

The system is a joke yes I agree, should either be a simple two up two down (keep the playoffs but remove the premier v first division one) each year if this gonna be two leagues of ten teams

Yeah the playoff for the second place is better.

Has the system been looked at by the FAI in recent years? The first division is a completely forgotten league. I'm dreading the playoff again this season. Now is the time to be in the premier with all the big attendances it's getting. The RSC is a much better place when there's a big pocket of away fans adding to it.

So where's the poster in here who kept telling us Sobowale was useless?? 😂

Gone to play League 1 football now with Shrewsbury.

He'll be a loss, always thought he was great for us and with the right coaching he can really improve the positioning side of his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think you've called it right there - he's a good athlete but still looks to me like a guy who is a bit raw.

Best of luck to him and glad to hear that there was some sort of a fee involved.

killer of a result tonight getting deined a win over Galway in injury time, that draw effectively claimind the title for Galway

Suppose a draw against the run away leaders will not be bad for confidence. Back in cup action next away to our Munster neighbours Cork City

Good performance last night and unlucky to concede a scrappy goal late on. Sam Sergeant looks a good keeper. Coughlan broke the club and first division goalscoring record last night with his 2 goals.

Cork are struggling lately so could be a chance to beat them in FAI Cup and we could meet them again in play offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

To be honest a win wouldn’t have stopped Galway winning the league but it would have shown something regards to finish a game off under pressure . Think this team is at best 50/50 to win the final playoff game and it should have never got to this .

What do you mean it should have never got to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

The whole league is a farce. Nothing matches all season of no importance. Recently came across a blues supporters page on Facebook. A collection of people absolutely bored with their lives. My god, some of the people on it could do with getting a good ride for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

To be fair that can be said of any club on the planets supporters page. Especially the cringe English ones with Irish people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Cringe isn't a strong enough word for those type of Irish people that support English clubs and take it to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Bit of a shambles with the 'game' last night....

Team in cork, supporters on the way down ... Game called off...... 🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Incredible lack of decision making!

• Advertisement

Sadly won't be 3rd time lucky for us in the Cup as our journey for this seasons competition ends at the hands of a heavy 3-0 away to Cork City

I don't mind going out, hell I don't mind somewhat playing possum against Cork as they will likely be our playoff opponent if we get there but I don't think there was any of that last night, we were utter dirt to a man.

The team is ridiculously inconsistent, can beat anyone and in turn can actually also be beaten by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think the challenge for Waterford is that they're playing in a really poorly structured league setup. Galway had the league tied up since probably May/June which has left Waterford playing 4-5 months worth of stage rehearsals for the playoff fixtures.

It's great for Ronan Coughlan's confidence to be slamming in goals every week, but realistically he's only under pressure 3-4 times a year when they play Galway.

The net result is that they get a bit of a shock when they travel to a team like Cork who are playing against better sides every week. This is also going to be the problem when hopefully Waterford come through the playoffs and end up in a promotion/relegation fixture vs Cork later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

2-1 defeat at home to Athlone tonight

Hard to feel confident going into the playoffs

Constant change of managers, constant change of players, constant change of owners. You're having an absolute laugh if you expect that to work.

Btw it's been proven this season that Danny Searle was harshly treated.

We were poor in 2nd half last night. Lots of the ball but didn't create much. Cresswell missed a sitter but other than that can't remember many clear chances. Build up play too slow. We need Baggley and Coughlan back. I agree about Danny Searle. Have Long and Reynolds improved the team much? It was looking good when they first came in but recent form not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Club is a joke. Fleetwood academy is all it is. And then when you look at the supporters page, seems to be a lot of unstable middle aged men who obsess about league of Ireland soccer, which their governing body don't even give two hoots about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Imagine that. A league of Ireland clubs supporters page is obsessing over the league the club they follow plays in. That has to be one of the daftest comments I've ever seen on here.

• Advertisement

It's hard, it's not good enough but it is hard to be motivated when playing glorified friendlies non stop and what, 7 more to go?

It's worrying because it's hard to just switch back on when the playoffs do get here but it's clear that

A. When Griffin isn't playing/fit we really struggle in midfield

B. Baggley is also a big loss

C. Coughlan is a massive, massive loss

D. Players are playing within themselves with one eye on playoffs

Just wish they would end the league and start the competitive football again.

Or just fix the **** system now we have two divisions of ten teams

Advertisement