Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's still a good bit cheaper than Energia after the price cuts

The smart EV tariffs are nice for the 3-4 hours at night but unless you've an enormous battery and charger to fill up during that window you'll be shafted outside outside that time

So, works for you, but not for me 😉

The question is whether Flogas will cut prices enough to make the fixed rate a bad move. Given the difference between the Community plan and the standard Flogas tariff, I think the fixed rate is still a good option

Flogas would need to cut prices by something like 30% to undercut the community plan, and given the cuts to date have been in the 15-20% range, I don't see if happening

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@the_amazing_raisin - "The smart EV tariffs are nice for the 3-4 hours at night but unless you've an enormous battery and charger"

I would't call it enormous. A boggo 6kW hybrid inverter can fill a 20kWh battery in the 3 hours we have. Leaves plenty to charge up to 2 EVs and maybe even your water. Plus a €100 bonus.

People are afraid to jump onto this, but I'd say for many people with a battery bigger than token size, the smart plans make a lot of sense. Also the real very generous FIT is an enormous cash cow compared with deemed FIT

Yeah true enough, but 20kWh seems to be at the edge of what's considered "normal" for a PV system

It makes sense to you and me, but not everyone is willing to sink €7-8k on batteries alone (if paying installer rates)

Anyway, I'm going to keep the D/N going as long as I can and then probably upgrade the battery and switch over to the smart tariff when the party ends

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭curioustony

Purchase shifting works well even with a 10kWh battery. It's for sure not in the same league as @irishchris, @unkel or @DrPhilG, but I no longer hear echoes of by dad in the 1970s: "WHO LEFT THE *** LIGHT ON?" Thanks @graememk, I'm even heating water at 2am to reduce kerosene consumption (fantastic x9 rule of thumb).

I'm with you on the investment front though -- that's a complex and very personal calculation. As is the decision to DIY -- herself might kill me if a spark did not do it 1st 😉.

No question though there are plans to be exploited by us mere mortals, just takes a little effort and imagination. Next year they will be different...

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

@the_amazing_raisin - "Yeah true enough, but 20kWh seems to be at the edge of what's considered "normal" for a PV system

It makes sense to you and me, but not everyone is willing to sink €7-8k on batteries alone"

A 14kWh battery DIY costs around €2,000 incl. cables and JK BMS with active balancing

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat as @curioustony that if I installed a DIY battery the missus would probably divorce me

Or disembowel me, kind of depends on whether she was holding a knife when I told her 😳

Yeah I'm in the same boat with 10kWh. Daytime usage in January could be above 20kWh, so when I switch to the smart meter it might make sense to upgrade

Will have you see where the rates are then, the Flogas offer had postponed that decision for another year at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

If you bought one of the mason battery cases would she give even know it was a DIY battery?

Been married for 6 years, she knows when I'm bullshitting 😂

I'd be tempted to sell my current batteries and get some of the Gobel power ones that Andy has been checking out, looks like a great package for almost DIY prices

Almost DIY prices was a gross exaggeration, but yeah you might recoup some money on the premade ones you have and go that route - zero DIY and you live another day with your bowels intact 😁

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Solar and batteries have almost become a hobby for me but done some theory crafting.

I've run some rough numbers regarding pinenergy 5c plan (2 yr contract)

For a battery only system, designed to load shift only.

Say a house was average, used 12kwh/day on a 24 hr tariff. 

Current rates for a smart 24 hr tariff range from 40-45c.

12 kwh, out 14.4 kwh in.

At 45c there is a yearly saving of 1700ish.

At 40c it's just under 1500, at 1489.

To get that sort of power in/out you'd need something like a 5.5kw sunsynk (1200ish?)

16 280-300 ah cells, last I checked on nkon is about 1900

JKbms 150ish, communication translator, 50 if you build it yourself.

Cables +miscellaneous 150?

Call it 2300 for battery, 1200 inverter. 3500ish

Payback in 2-3 yrs.

If you drop down to an me3000, you could only put in 9kwh/night, but I dare say you could get one for €5-600

• Advertisement

Insane return on (a low risk) investment. I expect a zero electricity bill for the year once I switch over tomorrow after my smart meter is fitted. That includes driving 2 cars, one doing above average mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

FIT won't last forever though, just saying, this is the gold rush now but in most places they dropped that to close to nothing.

Dark days when that happens...

As the zen master said, we'll see

Given Energia have recently raised their FIT, it's debatable whether it'll go down significantly in the next couple of years

Domestic solar uptake is still extremely low, Irish people are more inclined to trust their loudmouth friends in the pub rather than 5 mins of economic analysis

So even a high FIT is unlikely to be costing providers much. And given where energy prices are, paying the FIT is probably cheaper at times than the wholesale market. So domestic solar could represent a saving for some suppliers

Anyway, it doesn't have to last forever, 3-4 years is probably enough to make a significant contribution to people's payback period

Not sure what you base that on. There will always be peaks and troughs in electricity needs and production. We use peaker plants now to cover high needs, that will move to batteries and whoever owns the battery will get paid for it. Opposite when there is overproduction. Whoever takes the electricity then will get paid for it

Next step after FIT is an agile type structure like above...

Unless we get an outside player coming in I don't see agile tariffs coming anytime soon

Most of the innovation in the Irish energy sector seems to be about getting more money out of customers (looking at you YouNo)

Closest we seem to have are Water Power who so to be just averaging market rates across the month with some profit margin added on

Hardly counts as agile though, more like a slightly more variable rate

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

If you have 2 strings split even E/W on a normal pitched roof .

Do you get 100% (theoretical ) generation at solar noon ?

I'm wondering about DC overload of the inverter at noon.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Interesting question, and lots of factors to consider on this.

I went into the European Photovoltaic calculator and entered -90 for the Eastern azimuth and then +90 for the Western and the month of June (at 35 degrees slope and a 1kW Wp array) and got these irradiation graphs:

Eastern:

Western:

For the clear-sky day as you can see the overlap around 12:00 is not the maximum point for both, it's offset by a couple of hours (as expected). But it would be interesting to combine these into a graph to see what the maximum is... so I did:

So the maximum clear-sky irradiance appears to exist from 11:00 to roughly 12:15.

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Next step after FIT is an agile type structure like above...

Can you see our regulator or providers going for it?

I can't see it in the short or medium term anyway.

The CRU had a golden opportunity with the smart meters to implement that and not only did they not implement it they have fluffed the whole smart meter rollout and implementation and we get to pay €1b for that privilege!

For our regulator or providers to implement an agile tariff they'd probably break out in a sweat and have to take a holiday at the mere suggestion of it.

The UK one sounds good, so it is of course possible, but I just cant see it happening any time soon due to the CRU and the providers we currently have.

Yes I'm afraid it's mostly wishful thinking from my part at this stage

There is money in it for everyone though, that should be a good motivator for providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

Science !I like it, thanks. So they don't both peak at 12 but there is around 30mins of crossover where both are producing 60/70%.

If you had a 5kw inverter with 5kw of panels on both E/W, at noon you would be around 140% (so 40% dc overload) for a short time.

Am in missing something here ? I know they will never be 100% efficient so overload would be lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If you are not a regular drinker in a few select Kanturk pubs and you dont know the secret handshake you cant get into waterpower

True enough, I saw on their website they aren't taking new customers

Probably a smart move to ensure they don't get overloaded and end up out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Community power are the same.

I wonder how a company like that feels the overload. Do they get absolutely fleeced for the power they dont generate themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Not sure now but your clipping on a bright-sunny day might start between 09:00 and 10:00 as that's when the Eastern string will be near to 100% and the Western will be ramping up, so the over-current can start there and run on until ~14:00, roughly. But thinking about that just now, we don't know if the 5kW of solar panels will actually produce 5kW on any given hour (ie, 100%) as they might not be optimally aligned to the low sun; so maybe the clipping will be less of a problem until nearer to 11:00 and through to 13:00 instead.

But the strength of this array would be that the continuous supply of current right across the solar day.

It's something I wonder about myself but I guess it's how they buy electricity from the market

As far as I can tell, an energy supplier has to buy the same amount of energy they sell to customers but there isn't necessarily a requirement that it's done at the same time of customer demand

This seems to be how a company like Energia can claim to be 100% green energy, they just aggregate customer demand and pay some wind producers to put the same amount of energy onto the grid when they can

Of course it only works if there's a bigger supplier around who will actually pay for the energy during peak periods

If our aforementioned small suppliers suddenly get big enough that they have to pay peak market rates then they won't be able to compete anymore

I also suspect they're doing absolutely no hedging and they're just taking the market rates as is. It works when the spot prices are lower but as soon as they go up then you're screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

No. I have an E/ W setup. Highest I ever get (during constant June blue skies earlier this year) was 3.5kW on a 4.9kWp system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

"Free stuff, get your free stuff!"

I got 3 or maybe 4 of the €30 ‘all for one’ vouchers from the ESB for the 'is this a good time?' pilot that just finished. And they are extending it to a new one it says now. It’s simply to renew, click on the link below. I assume people can sign-up for the 1st time too, and you’d need to register for it. They have asked more targeted Qs this time from what I recall of the initial pilot. Like if you feel you’re an energy ninja or noob. Copy of email below.

Edit: They say "That’s €5 for each energy event!" - up to this you got a voucher after several of them. So this could be better.

I was interested in the pilot. For me personally it's important to support energy conservation and for the best use of the grid. Plus I got paid, sweetttt!

Email bumpf:

Hi,

Our ‘Is This a Good Time?’ pilot is coming to an end.

Over 18,000 people across the country actively took part in the pilot with more than 40,000 positive actions taken to help support Ireland’s security of electricity supply and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.

Thank you so much for taking part, we really appreciate all your support so far and have taken on board all your feedback. 

We are now delighted to invite you to sign up to our new phase. If you’d like to now take part in this new phase of ‘Is This a Good Time?’ simply register for an ESB Networks Online Account today (if you do not already have one) at https://myaccount.esbnetworks.ie/ and remember to add your MPRN (How to Find Your MPRN | ESB Networks) if possible. Or, for more information on the programme, please click here.

Once you have created your ESB Networks Online Account, simply log in and click on the icon ‘Time for rewards’ on the main page and follow the instructions to sign up to the new phase of the programme. Sign up now

Why sign up?

Continue to get tips and information by email and SMS letting you know how best to use and take control of your home’s electricity, and how we can all take advantage of available renewable energy. Get rewarded for taking action

Once you sign up, you will start to receive energy event communications (peak events and flexibility events*), and if you have linked your MPRN (found on your electricity bill) to your ESB Networks Online Account, you can also now receive rewards for taking action when asked.

*What are peak events?

A peak event is when there are lots of people using electricity at the same time and there is not enough renewable energy generation to supply electricity demand. This means that during peak events electricity is more expensive, more carbon intensive, and it may be less secure

*What are flexibility events?

A flexibility event occurs in two scenarios in which we may ask you to be flexible with how and when you use your electricity: 

1. When there is surplus renewable electricity generation, we may encourage you to take advantage of the available renewable energy as it is less expensive and less carbon intensive at this time.

2. When there is less renewable energy generation available, this is a good time to take control of your electricity usage by avoiding electricity-heavy appliances such as your tumble dryer, dishwasher and iron.

Thanks again for your continued support and we hope you join us in this new phase today. 

Yours,

ESB Networks

Nice one. I too got 3 * €30 voucher in the last round. Would be deadly to get a few more of them 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Fingers crossed for an email - got 3 the last time.....must use them :)

on another ESB Networks topic I received a letter today as part of my provider switch, my MIC is listed as 8kVA which seems low from my understanding

What MICs have others got in urban areas (if that even matters)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

My last house was 12kVA. Which seems to be the standard size, theres also 16kVA. on ESBN website they almost only mention those two values!

But like you current house is only 8kVA. both houses part of housing estates in swords. ESBN did send me a form I can fill out and they'll determine what work if any is required to change it to 12kVA and what cost that would be. There is a set fee to go from 12 to 16 listed on ESBN website

Advertisement