Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Your graph highlights the absolute madness of unreliable power generation. Without hydrocarbons the grid collapses.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

🤦‍♂️

At some point in the future some folks will gain an understanding that today (approx 40% renewables ) does not equal the the 2050 grid (100% renewables + storage)

It'll be an epiphany

Until then 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

At some point, certain people might gain an understanding that pipedreams of 2050 might not materialise if the economics don't stack up. Blind faith in the green church isn't going to magically provide a secure, reliable and affordable power system. It took 20 years to go from 3% to 40%, what makes you think we can go another 60% in 26.25 years? What makes you think we can afford it?Especially when everyone else is competing for the same resources?

There's your epiphany.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

The greens like their ‘glorious’ leader live in cookoo land.

Anyhow going on the poll in today’s Independent- next election greens are history, which is fantastic news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Shoog

Keep on crowing - meanwhile the energy industry is building that future whilst you cry about the madness of their efforts. That future will be built whether the Greens are in government or not. Energy strategy now equals Renewables regardless of government colour.

The energy industry is building SFA. More MW are being delivered for the oil/gas Temporary Emergency Generation this year than by any other fuel type. Most of the proposed offshore wind in Europe seems to be packing it in. I've yet to hear that ER has subject any of the 4 successful ORESS projects to the same scrutiny as Barryroe, but when he does, that'll be the end of them too. 1-2GW of offshore wind by 2035 and that'll be it. The Greenlink and Celtic Interconnectors will have to make up the difference (assuming our neighbours don't laugh in our no Plan-B faces as we beg).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

While I would be happy to see the back of them as far as government is concerned, I didn`t see them as being totally wiped out electorally in the next general election, but from the redrawn constituency boundaries and that opinion poll it really is a very strong possibility.

Take a look into the licence requirements then

You'll find they are almost a carbon copy of each i.e. the same requirements apply regardless

What applied when Barryroe submitted it's application and what it was subjected to are two very different things. Changing goalposts mid stream to suit a particular minister's own beliefs is hardly testament to a fair and transparent process. Especially when said minister drags his heels for as long as possible on anything that benefits energy security but trips over himself to cheer everything that doesn't. But let's see what happens when ER has a gun to his head in this mess.

• Advertisement

What applied when Barryroe submitted it's application and what it was subjected to are two very different things.

Lol, nope. The requirements that Barryroe were unable to meet were even specifically called out by Barryroe in their application as it being something they couldn't meet. They've stated this themselves over the last few months since their fail.

So no goalposts shifted.

Gas how Barryroe supporters keep making up stuff as some sort of persecution complex to explain why they couldn't meet something that was there in black and white

Lol nope? Wow,great argument. It's like debating with a 10 year old. You either spam with hundreds of contradicting links or "Lol, nope". It's no wonder you aren't taken seriously.

You chose what you want to believe but any competent minister would have been looking after energy security first and foremost. Not creating unnecessary obstacles to same. Let's see what happens with offshore. I'm going to bet that less than 50% materialises before 2030 without additional government injections.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The ECT will be looking to ensure no goalposts were shifted as well as when those goalposts ere erected.

If Ryan hasn`t put any of the other applications through all the hoops he put Barryroe through, then it`s bye bye Eamo, hello tax payers having to fork out hundreds of millions.

But then you know that. It`s why you are caught in one of your loops on Barryroe.

Don't take my word for it, take a look at Barryroe press releases where they cried about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Lol, nope. The requirements that Barryroe were unable to meet...

There were no requirements that Barryroe were unable to meet. The things you are referring to were guidelines, with clear alternative criteria under which an application could be considered. Ryan chose to evaluate the license under guidelines that no small explorer could ever meet, and which didn't exist when Barryroe were first granted a standard exploration license. Let me repeat that for you since you don't seem to be able to get it: Barryroe did not fail to meet any requirements. They had already raised the money needed to carry out the work program.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Latest red c poll puts them on under 2% , that thankfully means a wipeout at the next general election, good riddance !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Prime example of what faith is. Struggle and obey and reward may come some time in the future. Or not. Catholics perfected it deferring reward to the time after you die. Greens may not be far from it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

And it is of course useless to argue with a true believer so i no longer do. I have put them on ignore ( ive just added a new one btw). That is the sensible approach. They seem to have absolute faith that their Green Utopia will come to pass. If they start to let in even the tiniest sliver of doubt about the reality of energy their house of cards will fall apart. Would you, like Jehova witnesses welcome them into your house to discuss a reasonable future for the community? Of course not. They have the Truth on their side..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Shoog

The feeling is entirely mutual. I watch the future been built and invented and you cry about the past been lost.

The future always wins out.

It took about a hundred years to build the present that you so cherish from a dead start. We have many advantages in building the new future energy grid so it's very doubtful it will take another century to get to where we need to be.

People such as yourself were saying exactly the same rubbish about the future of electricity and gasoline. There is nothing technically impossible about achieving the renewables strategy - just the will to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

Just pointing out how out of touch farmers are if they think they would be better off milking the social welfare system than milking cows

Anyone who says that and it was said here has absolutely no idea what it's like to live on social welfare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I grew up om a samll unprofitable family farm and only for the grant would not have got to college. However, I always remember the popular cool dairy farmer's son who drove a 206 GTI 1.9 bought new for college who on more than one occasion boasted that he qualified for the third level grant. Bottom line, using financial advisors, even successful wealthy farmers have poor financial years, usually coincidentially when there is a means assessed grant or incentive to be soaked up

There's a few things technically impossible to be overcome. The first law of thermodynamics being one. You cannot magically conjure infinite energy out of thin air without impacting elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Friends of the Earth (pack of jokers in my view) have released a score card on how the government and various sectors did in 2022 on the climate issue. Probably no harm that someone does this, but it's a woeful pity they let their biases dictate overall marks.

As you can see, no one doing great. But agriculture the worst? Yet agriculture is one of the only areas with a plan, and a plan that is being acted on. And they reduced emissions in 2022. How can agriculture be marked lower than transport who upped emissions by 6% in the same year? Would it be bias? Would it be incompetence? Or a mixture?

When ya see bullshit like this, the whole report can be binned and ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Putting your finger on it does not alter their stance. They live on hopium. 'Technical difficulties' will be overcome as long as we have enough faith in the project hence the religious aspect. But the required faith needs a fundament. Using the tried and trusted pathway of ever efficient and cost effective energy production and system building in the past does not apply to solar and wind. Not now NOR in the future. The Greens simply won't accept it is in reality a retrograde step. They consider themselves progressives. Their faith lies in the believe they are good people taking the moral highground. But that makes them morally corrupt to bad practices and deaf, dumb and blind to realistic counter factuals and arguments. Ie, they need Armageddon. Again, you can't argue w a fanatical cult as cult members never accept that they are. Well, that cult has succesfully infiltrated the mainstream. Too bad for them there is no redemption and deliverance from evil. Only destruction on their path totally outdoing the possible good their way of thinking might deliver. Plus, it will in fact delay any real transition. That is the sad truth..

Yet agriculture is one of the only areas with a plan

All sectors of the economy have a plan for emissions reduction, well all except LULUCF which is due later this year or early next. The report, however, is not looking at emissions. Its an assessment of actions against PfG commitments, i.e. if they said they would do X, Y & Z, the report assess progress on those commitments

That being said, the rating for agri is based on this

The report was also put together by 3 academics, not FIE

Its a good indicator and allows for the public to see, at a glance, how things are going in relation to PfG commitments

Couple of scientists (not climate scientists BTW) are saying what some on here are saying - the models are over estimating and many datasets are excluded as it doesn't fit with the narrative

I'd take this though with a huge grain of salt, primarily because of this line

there is no risk that fossil fuels and carbon dioxide will cause catastrophic warming and extreme weather.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

One of the scientists, Happer, sounds like a proper nut job

In 2017, when Happer was reportedly under consideration to be Trump’s science advisor, he sent a letter to a reader arguing that the “demonization of CO2” “really differs little from the Nazi persecution of the Jews, the Soviet extermination of class enemies or ISIL slaughter of infidels”.

Oh ffs lol, Harper is a founder of the climate change denial "think tank" that argues more co2 is needed (wtf lmao)

The less said about Lindzen the better lol

Seems that NIMBYism has started to infiltrate solar installations now

Might be behind a paywall. Gist is that this was given permission (and it's near the airport which I would have thought wouldn't be allowed myself) and soomeone from Dublin is taking it to ABP. From the article:

However, the decision to grant permission was appealed by a third-party objector, Sean McIvor, Co Dublin, who argued that despite him being fully supportive of renewable energy, he believed that the development was a “step too far”, considering that there are four other solar developments in his location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Advertisement