Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Richie Hogan has announced his retirement today. A great hurler dogged by injuries the 5 years but always kept going and tried to get back on the pitch. As talented and gifted a hurler as we'll ever see, his goals in the 2011 all ireland and 2020 Leinster final were as good as you'll ever see. His performance in the drawn 2014 All Ireland must go down as one of his best 6 points from play.

https://www.the42.ie/richie-hogan-retires-kilkenny-6157784-Sep2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭hogans heroes

What a player he was for kilkenny, absolute genius. Wish him all rhe best for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Best of luck in retirement Riche, a true great. He won 7 All Ireland in his first 9 years and none in the last 8, pity we could not get one in the last year or 2 with Riche on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭blackcard

Richie was a joy to watch, being equally proficient off right and left and great at taking scores over his shoulder. His goal in the 2011 final epitomised his skill. Hurler of the year in 2014? Very unlucky with injuries over the last 7 or 8 years which meant he was operating at 80% of his capability. He was excellent in the air as well, showing that a smaller man can be the best.

I don't think he loved Cody after being subbed in a couple of All Irelands in 2014 after scoring 5 or 6 points.

I thought he was extremely unlucky to get a red card in 2019. Fair enough he caught Barrett on his head but there should have been mitigation as Barrett dropped in height suddenly as he leaned backwards into an almost sitting position.

Thanks to Richie for so many good memories, one of the best and bravest players I have seen

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭conor05

I noticed he didn’t thank Cody in his retirement statement alright but thanked Derek Lyng.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The exodus has commenced. Doubt he'll be the last to call it.

Best of luck to him. An absolute genius whose body robbed him of the last 6 or 7 years.

Absolutely, I expect 6/7 older lads to retire or dropped over next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Charlie69

What a player…..a joy to watch and could play anywhere from midfield up. Absolute genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Loved watching Richie play. His hand-eye coordination was off the charts and extremely hard to knock off the ball. There was a great interview with him during Covid (OTB i think), even with the ongoing injuries he was 100% dedicated to the cause.

Hope the injuries don't plague him in the future.

Had forgotten that 2020 goal against Galway in the LF, classic Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Best of luck to richie in his retirement..one of kilkennys all time greats surely ..his lack of height had very little impact on his effectiveness..excellent in the air..very very strong man..sublime skills..shame the injuries curtailed him so much in the latter stages

• Advertisement

A good win for Ballycallan against Glenmore. They made good use of the ball and hit quality ball into the likes of Ryan Corcoran who scored 4 points. Their half back line was well on top of Glenmore who depended on Ger Aylward from play and Alan Murphy from placed balls.

Of the 2015 All-Ireland winning Kilkenny team, Richie Hogan, Richie Power and Ger Aylward were beset by injuries afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Good wishes to Richie Hogan and thanks for a great career. It was a privilege to watch him.

The last few years must have been so frustrating on him, always bothered by injuries and never getting a good run of it.

I feel he was also treated callously by Cody (even in his prime) and the failure of him to even mention Cody today, is telling for me.

But, enough of that for now. (as Haughey said when retiring 😀), Richie Hogan, a hurling wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

Explain how he was treated callously by Cody. He should have thanked Cody as everything he won was under him. All he had to say was thanks to all the KK mgmt teams. I think it was petty not to say thanks.

Richie can sign off anyway he wants to,

It was his statement and not anybody else’s.

Yes I agree, they won a lot when Cody was manager but a lot of the players couldn’t stand him.

It’s not up to a manager to be liked but a player isn’t going to leave out a manager in a big retirement statement unless something serious was happening.

Basic manners to say thanks to someone. As I said all he had to say was Thanks to all the KK mgmt teams I played under and then people could read into whatever way they wanted.

What I am saying to you is you nor I know the reason why Cody didn’t get thanked.

But Richie must have a very valid reason and I can respect that.

He wasn’t being false.

O'Loughlin Gaels had a comfortable 7 points win over Clara helped by the latter's wastefulness. OLG had 16 shots to Clara's 22 in the first half but led by 15 to 10. Owen Wall was the star turn for OLG scoring 6 points, there was a lot of quality ball played into him and Sean Bolger. All forwards scored for OLG, Jordan Molloy played well also. David Fogarty was quiet. Clara were solid but shooting was poor.

Tullaroan bead Danesfort 2-21 to 1-19, Mossy Keoghan put in a good shift as did Tomas Dunne but the team is not going as well as last year yet. Danesfort were missing Richie Hogan and missed 4 scorable frees. Still they displayed enough today to show that they will have a fighting chance to avoid relegation

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Boro left it late today with Aran Murphy coming on to secure the win shooting two good points to win it by four points. Boro let Mullinavat back into it and should have closed the game out in the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Well done Richie for all the great entertainment you gave kilkenny hurling

congrats on your statement

watched John Walsh give a great display today and he just back great game again John Walsh 1/10 gaffney more goals and as most of you great hurling brains say they not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I agree with you John Walsh was excellent yesterday and punished us every time. Also Tom Kenny was a stand out performer for the Boro and should be looked at again.

• Advertisement

2-11 for TJ, Red card for Eoin Cody and a 7 point win for Bennettsbridge. The Bridge had a deserved 2 point lead early in the second half when Eoin Cody got a second yellow card in a niggly game. The referee seemed to lose control of the game. TJ carried Ballyhale even when he was being double marked. Enda Morrissey, Kevin Blanchfield,Jason Cleere and Sean Morrissey were best for the Bridge.

The Shamrocks look to be vulnerable missing Joey Holden, Darren Mullen, Ronan Corcoran, Brian Cody, Joey Cuddihy and Colin Fennelly from last year, Paddy Mullen also went off injured

Post edited by blackcard on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

An outrageous list of club players to be missing. If they win it this year serious questions need to be asked of the rest of the county really doesn't there. It would be incredible if they pulled it off even with TJ, Mullen and Cody still there

Half of their team missing and all brilliant hurlers.

Still another All Ireland or two in Ballyhale if they get all them lads back on the field at the same time next year

Joey Holden is a huge loss and I don't think he will be back. The Shamrocks full back line looks vulnerable, the Bridge bypassed the Shamrocks half back line. Darren Mullen is continuously injured and I don't know what is happening with Colin Fennelly. You would never write off the Shamrocks but Dicksboro and OLG are favourites for me, they each have 6 scoring forwards and can put up big scores

It doesn’t take a lot to be nice and say Tks to all KK mgmt. Brian Cody always had KK interests first and foremost no matter what players were there.

Riche is well within his rights to put the 2 fingers up at Cody, Cody treated him like a dog for years. Cody was only great because he had great hurlers. Look at Kilkenny since 2015, one or 2 great hurlers is all we have now and no return with All Irelands, Cody was not so great when he did not have the ammunition

Bennettsbridge must surely be in with a shout to win the SHC also?

They played a nice brand of hurling yesterday albeit against a weakened Shamrocks side.

Maybe someone can clarify for me? The Shamrocks goalkeeper, Dean Mason, was getting ready to puck out the ball when the referee saw one of the Bridge defenders dragging a Ballyhale forward and awarded a free at the spot. I thought that the ball had to be in play before a free could be awarded? He seemed to give a soft free to the Bridge later to balance things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

The Kilkenny hurling podcast team of the week for last weekend:

Paddy Hogan - Danesfort

Tommy Dunne - Tullaroan

Enda Morrissey - Bennettsbridge

Tom Dunphy - GBC

Des Dunne - Danesfort

Niall Brassil - Village

Timmy Clifford - Boro

Jamie Ryan - OLG

Kevin Blanchfield - Bennettsbridge

Luke Scanlon - Village

TJ Reid - Shamrocks

Tommy Ronan - GBC

John Walsh - Mullinavat

Mossy Keoghan - Tullaroan

Sean Morrissey - Bennettsbridge

Just looking back at the last few teams of the week and Timmy Clifford, Kevin Blanchfield and Luke Scanlon seem to be included nearly every week. Looking at Clifford is his best position wing back? What would a half back line of Carey-D Blanchfiled-Clifford look like next year? On the converse side it would be another option gone from our forwards when realistically it's forwards that we are crying out for. Kevin Blanchfield has always looked like a good hurler to me and was always surprised not to see him in with the seniors, apparently he's heading to Australia shortly so doubt we'll see in a kk jersey anytime soon unfortunately! Is Scanlon finally beginning to deliver on his undoubted talent? Would he be worth a look back on the county panel? Good to see a few new names on the team this week also, didn't get to any of the games this weekend but was talking to fella from OLG who said that Owen Wall was excellent again for them, any forwards impressing during the first 4 round of games?

• Advertisement

You can get Bennettsbridge at 14/1, sixth favourites. Ballyhale are 11/10 favourites, not good value for me with the missing personel. Dicksboro at 11/2 look a decent bet, OLG are 9/2

Advertisement