Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

They will do anything other than reverting to the old format that everyone loved and actually worked - was it perfect, no but it was better than this nonsense.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

At this point maybe just forget it. The URC and Top14 are more interesting these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

More important too, apparently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Nobody said the URC is more important than the CC.

That’s just a complete strawman.

What was actually said was the URC final may be more important than the CC QF or SF.

Since tone is apparently hard to convey online, I'll just say it straight out so we can all lighten up.

I wasn't being entirely serious there.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Did everyone love it? Not so sure. In Ireland we loved it because we've always treated Europe as a bigger deal than our league games, but this was never really the same elsewhere.

It's not like EPCR are doing it against everyone's will, they are trying these formats because the English and French have no interest in playing 6 pool games. And by extension, the supporters of English and French clubs are not exactly up in arms about this.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

everyone loved it retrospectively when we saw what a shitshow the alternatives have been. 😜

to be fair, its often been prefaced with "while not perfect" while saying it was the best format we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

6 pools of 4, each pool winner advances. Two best placed runners up advance. You play everyone in your pool home and away. It was so simple, everyone got it, and it worked. It was relatively fair and had real tension in the final round or two of pool games.

Its absolutely insane that they're still messing around with complicated formats, changing every year, that most fans don't understand fully and that rarely have any qualification tension.

If 24 is too many teams now with the English imploding just go with 5 pools of 4 with the 3 best placed runners up advancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

The thing is too, I can't really remember anyone complaining about the format pre-2020. Yes the English and French would pipe up every now and then but that was nearly always about money or scheduling, not format.

I understand they thought they needed to make changes because of covid, but why change again? Its like they don't want to admit they've got it wrong.

What I miss the most are the back-to-back home and away fixtures in December and that final round of games when the maths gets real nerdy calculating who goes through. This last-16 stuff is rubbish and has completely diluted the the pool stage drama.

And now in this new one, 12 of the 18 teams get a knock out game, what the f**k is the point of the pools anymore?

If the top clubs have any say in this, I'm very surprised they are agreeing to it with it been well known what the fans think.

The last few years formats have been pretty much pilloried by English and French fans online. Not to the same degree as Irish, sure, but they absolutely don't like it either - the sizeable majority anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,324 ✭✭✭✭phog

“We are looking at final options for 2025 and 2026, we have nearly 30 bids from places like the United States, Middle East and around Europe, closer to the traditional markets,” Dominic McKay, chairman of the competition’s governing body the European Professional Club Rugby, told City A.M.

Whatever about around Europe I think they'll lose out on the finalists fans attending in large numbers if they move the final to the US or the Middle East

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Christ, please no.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What's the latest figures on TV revenue?

Are provinces tied into a separate deal, or what way does it work? English clubs tied the ERCC up with GP in their deal with BT, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Whatever about the US, which is a terrible idea but I can at least see a development value for it, the middle east is just pure sportswashing and greed. **** EPCR if they go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Think it's ridiculous having it in countries that don't have teams involved. Have it in Italy or SA ahead of them even if there's a slim chance of an Italian team being in the final. I get the idea of growing the game in US but the US is already hosting the RWC in 2031. If it's in Suadi Arabia it's just money talking and sportswashing. Sickening if it happens

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Screw them for even considering it. How many sports do those arseholes have to poison?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hopefully if it’s Saudi, there will be an outright boycott by all fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The fact that Italy still hasn't hosted is a joke to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,324 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd go to an Italian venue for the novelty even but couldn't be bothered with the US or Middle East.

If the atmosphere around the final could be anything like how the Italians host the 6Ns it could be terrific.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Italians deserve it! Apart from anything else. It would also be a great destination final - Rome or Milan in May? Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think its all tied together and doled out by ercc.

There was a French article last year about how each club in the competition would get about 300K for the group stage for TV money and more for progressing further.

There's an American billionaire in Chicago willing to underwrite show piece matches in the city (in the hope of building a fanbase for rugby in his city).

Theres a financial number that the EPCR would take to move the game whether its to US or the middle east. I suspect that clubs who don't care about the competition and who will typically out in the group stage will have the decision-making power as to what that number will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I have been in this stadium a couple of times. I can't see what your issue is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭CONSI

Tickets, flights and accommodation all sorted for the final weekend. If Munster were to make it all the better, but if nothing else some good rugby and London is a great city for a weekend

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Round 1 - FTA games

Sat 3:15pm Toulouse v Cardiff S4C

5:30pm Munster v Bayonne RTE2

Sun 1pm Sale v Stade Francais ITV1

European Challenge Cup

Sat 8pm Dragons v Oyannax S4C

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There's enough ex-pats living in Chicago and surrounds to justify a sell-out for a final there. If they bring it to the Middle East it'll be a half empty stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very open championship this season and hard to pick the winner

It may take Leinster a bit of time to get to grips with Nienabers style etc

I'll go with Toulouse for the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Advertisement